Run time.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lykan

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Ok, I got the mystery buggy figured out, anyways it's not in priomo shape so I don;t mind running it around the house, or outside.

I have three battery packs, But here's the deal this thing has way more power and speed than I need for playing in the dirt, although its just right for carpet.

What I want to find is a motor I suppose that's not so hopped up, I remember back in the day with some of the stock 540's you could get a good 15-20 minutes of run time.

I also remember still going pretty fast, and burning the tires at will. Can anyone recocomend a good motor? One that will last a while with a 6 cell nicad? 5-7 minutes isn't even worth dragging it outside lol.

If you find a 540 that will run 15-20 on a 6 cell stick pack, let me know. I've never got run times like that, of course I can't keep my finger out of the throttle either. Here's something to dream about. Actually they exist, just very expensive. Ever heard of Lithium batteries ? Sure you have, they're in your cell phone.
Lithium batteries have tremendous run times. The R/C airplane
community have been using them for some time now, but haven't quite made it down to the cars. I've seen some preliminary numbers and they go like this. With a brushless motor, (which is more efficient than that of a brushed motor), and a 6 cell lithium stick pack, they have calculated run times somewhere between 1 and 2 hours. Of course technology like this is extremely expensive. The batteries are to big for practical use right now and charging them takes a good part of a day. Like everything else that starts out pricey, it too will come down and someday be affordable. If they can make the aforementioned numbers work, the nitro industry might have some re-thinking to do. Imagine 1-2 hours of constant run time. To get back to your original question, get good batteries, all connections need to be upgraded (deans),
good solder joints, keep whatever motor you decide on clean and well lubed. A little here and a little there will all add up to increased run times. Check out the run times on the new Losi Mini-T. I hear that with just 4AA alkaline batteries those guys are getting tons of run time.

Well, I picked up most of my stuff used. I ended up being really lucky. All the motors are soldered well to their wires. Deans connectors are used everywhere. Their are tons of deans left over too, for future motors and battery packs. He also had a bunch of woven battery things so I can build my own packs.

The lithium batteries I have heard about I think they are called Li-Po? those are amazing in planes. I can't wait till the technology filters down and gets cheaper.

Here's a Q for you . It's anold Rc10 with saddle packs. There is plenty more room for one more vell on each side of the pack.

Would building a 8 cell pack add runtime? or just more punch. I know that my ESC will take it so might as well give it a shot.

I know all the motors I have now are hopped up, like fast 90-94 motors. I was kinda thinking if I could find a stock plain, jane 540 maybe it wouldn't eat the juice so fast.

Adding cells will only add voltage/puch and not run time.

540 motors are still available, Tamiya #7435044, they are the newer metal endbelled Johnson motors, not Mabuchi. Retail on the is $19.00

Great runtime because they are in the 35 turn range (IIRC) and zero timing, they run just as fast foward or reversed. With a 3000mah pack now, you could prolly get 20 minutes out of it without a problem.

Move your electronics to the sides, get an Associated battery box kit and run regular stick packs. Their only $25 for a decent pack to give you the runtime you're looking for.