Rs4 3 EVO gearing question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitronitty

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Just wondering how's the EVO's stock gearing setup?

I have a tricked out Nitro Rustler (will post pics later :)) and I changed the gearing to 18/72 setup for low end and with a tuned pipe that truck screams from a dead stop. Actually if I run onroad tires with the slipper tightened way up all she want to do is donuts -- real squirrely! But it does rock :D Anyway, I really like that low end speed and since i don't really have a place to open it up for great top end, I was wondering what a good gearing setup would be. and any other gearing suggestions.

thanks for your help, this forum seems to be right on! :D

Nitty

hmmm....take this one with a grain of salt as there is no "best gear combo"..i believe its more of a driver preference thing :)

-try leaving the original spurs with the yellow pinions (smallest..not the purple or red ones)...if you like the kick you get from it, i'd stay there..if not, then start bringing up the spur count :) hope that helped

....it would also help if you identify what mill you're using...different engines seem to have their own "preference"..for the above, I'm assuming your still using the t-15 that the evo comes with

i have the rs4 nitro with the t-15 and i wanna gear it so i can do 50 or 60+ has anyone else done this how was it? what would i need to buy for 50-60+ and where would i find this? thanks

likwidvison said:
i have the rs4 nitro with the t-15 and i wanna gear it so i can do 50 or 60+ has anyone else done this how was it? what would i need to buy for 50-60+ and where would i find this? thanks

First things first.....

Your going to need a better motor...The t-15 is fun, but by no means a race engine. Since you PROBABLY won't be doing any circuit racing, I'd say take a look at the OS 18's preferably the 18TZ...its their strongest. Then look at beefing up the drivetrain...Properly lube/grease/shim your diffs or they'll be destroyed in no time with that much power (and also upgrade to the HD final drive gear..people ALWAYS overlook that one). Run foams to keep the power on the ground otherwise you'll go nowhere and have to replace tires like crazy. This is all PRIOR to clutchbell gearing. Remember one vital thing SPEED COST MONEY! I've owned one of these cars and did everything possible to get the most (usable speed imo) with the 18CV-R and it was a fun basher, but for the price to make it that way..i was better off just getting a competition touring car....The faster it goes, the faster it breaks lol...good luck, and LMK if you still want to do this...i can point you in the right directions for some of the parts needed that will have to be custom made (and it WILL happen). Have fun

Back