rookie-ish question regading weight compensation

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clugsto

RC Newbie
Reaction score
so i have a trx4 1979 blazer. i recently this year decided to mount a snowplow to make my life and sidewalk cleaning that much eisier and more enjoyable. problem is...i dont really know how to adjust the shocks for the addtional wight on front end. my truck is quite heavy already. but i dont know if i need stonger shocks or how to basiclly raise up front end a tad to compensate. any help appriciated.

20221226_212327.jpg

I can't help you with that since i'm struggling with something similar ( new bed rack is too heavy ) but maybe thicker shock oil and adding preload to the shocks. Also what plow is that i want one but i can only find the rc4wd one. while they look nice its a little expensive at around 150 CAD

I can't help you with that since i'm struggling with something similar ( new bed rack is too heavy ) but maybe thicker shock oil and adding preload to the shocks. Also what plow is that i want one but i can only find the rc4wd one. while they look nice its a little expensive at around 150 CAD
i will look to the like for plow. i got it on amazon for about $50 usd. servo on it and all was seperate of course. i personally fell into an artist hole and started making small scale things here and there. added a 4 seater interior 4 passengers. glove box full of tiny maps. my roofrack has to be about 2 lbs. plus under armore. just seems like i added a LOT of wieght but just now realising it.
PLOW ON MY BLAZER ---> https://www.amazon.com/Benedict-Har...0027+90028+1/10+rc+crawler+car,aps,152&sr=8-1

Shocks dont carry weight. They damp vibration and slow suspension travel/rebound.

The springs carry the weight. More weight needs heavier springs.

Shocks dont carry weight. They damp vibration and slow suspension travel/rebound.

The springs carry the weight. More weight needs heavier springs.
i appriciate that. I'm not that good with the "mechanic" end of it. you think heavier springs on the truck front end ? the springs on the plow itself dont really seem to have much say since the servo has that on a chain.

If there is only a slight droop you can probably take it out with preloading the springs if they are adjustable.
If not I would put heavier springs on the front only and swap back when I removed the plow.
I am only talking about the suspension springs. The ones on the plow dont effect the ride height.

If there is only a slight droop you can probably take it out with preloading the springs if they are adjustable.
If not I would put heavier springs on the front only and swap back when I removed the plow.
I am only talking about the suspension springs. The ones on the plow dont effect the ride height.
thanks a million for the input. thats kinda what i was thinking just looking at it blindly. so onward and upward!

Pretty cool rig. I'd be curious to know how it does in the snow. I second the heavier springs in front. You might even grab some extra heavy springs because my attempt at a snow plow years ago showed I needed to add a lot more weight to the truck for it to work. In doing so, I would recommend adding weight to your axles if possible, so the weight isn't supported by the shocks. Adding bb's inside the tires seemed to help a bit as well. Good luck, and please let us know how it turns out

Pretty cool rig. I'd be curious to know how it does in the snow. I second the heavier springs in front. You might even grab some extra heavy springs because my attempt at a snow plow years ago showed I needed to add a lot more weight to the truck for it to work. In doing so, I would recommend adding weight to your axles if possible, so the weight isn't supported by the shocks. Adding bb's inside the tires seemed to help a bit as well. Good luck, and please let us know how it turns out
thanks for the kind words...i think a lot of the weight comes from all the crap i loaded into it. thing has to weight at least 12 lbs

That is a good lookin' rig, love the plow, if you can get it to work as good as it looks, it will be a keeper for sure. :thumbs-up:

why are front shocks even needed, buy a piece of carbon fiber cut it to correct length and your done,not crawling offroad with a plow.so why are shocks needed to me they are not

I've been playing with a dual spring setup on my TRX4. Had an extra set laying around for the Redcat so I wound them together and adjusted the preload collar all the way to the minimum. So far I'm liking it, I'm thinking I'm going to shorten one spring a little to create more of a dual rate setup.

can you just buy heavier springs to install on the stock trx4 suspension? or is it like a whole new suspension system thing?
i hate sounding like a goober i just dont know if i dont ask

@clugsto This may not be your exact shock but it gives you an idea of how they are assembled and how to maintain them. The springs on the shocks can be soft medium firm etc. And are interchangeable.

CLICK HERE then read the whole page in the link. Hope this helps.

@clugsto This may not be your exact shock but it gives you an idea of how they are assembled and how to maintain them. The springs on the shocks can be soft medium firm etc. And are interchangeable.

CLICK HERE then read the whole page in the link. Hope this helps.
quality info! thank you. i see now.

so i have a trx4 1979 blazer. i recently this year decided to mount a snowplow to make my life and sidewalk cleaning that much eisier and more enjoyable. problem is...i dont really know how to adjust the shocks for the addtional wight on front end. my truck is quite heavy already. but i dont know if i need stonger shocks or how to basiclly raise up front end a tad to compensate. any help appriciated.

View attachment 157357you can buy alloy tubing the same diameter as the springs.
Its the weight that makes the truck squat 1/16th inch or whatever.
Use alloy tubing the same diameter of the springs, just cut the same length of tubing and install them in-between the springs perch and spring.
This will compensate for the squat and you can adjust ride height. The alloy wall thickness needs to be thick enough so the coil spring doesn't slide over the alloy tube spacers.
Basically just use alloy tubing to make spacers. This will lift the truck and you will still have the same spring weight so the truck isn't too stiff.

Last edited: