Rival MT10 servo issue

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdman99

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
I have the rival MT10 and am experiencing steering issues .
Won’t travel full motion on turns and when it does it doesn’t return straight.
Also now getting buzzing noises when o turn left .
I’ve tried tightening the nut that always works it way out but doesn’t help with the issue.
I’ve been driving it on short grass so wondering if I have expected to much from the stock servo .
Anyone got any advice or replacement parts that will hold out better only had the car 5 months

A buddy's friend's son (I'm not your buddy, pal!) lost the MT10 stock servo on the 2nd run. On flat gravel. Sooo... Just get a new servo. We had a red 20kg Chinese special laying around. Any standard servo should fit.

Stock servo's usually Fail early in life.

Send me some links guys or suitable types

Id get something like THIS and run it on 7.4V if you can, otherwise 6V will be fine. I would double check the height of the existing servo first though and make sure this will fit. Sometimes kits will require a low profile servo. Other than height all standard sized servos are about the same length and width. roughly 40mm x 20mm.

My batteries are 11.1 V
Thanks for the link
wouldn’t dare order one of line unless I defo knew it would fit the Mt10
I thought people on here might have replaced and had specific details

I run a standard size servo in my pro4 sc10, which i believe is the same layout as the rival mt10.

Have two MT10's. One stock and one mod. Stock one still using the OEM provided servo with no issues. Check the steering end points on the radio. MT10 servo sits inverted in the chassis and for protection concerns the servo arm does not allow full servo movement before the servo horn hits the chassis.

Standard size servo works. My mod runs a ProTek 100T ~200oz servo. Standard servo horn cause it's an S-bend and not easily replaced with an aftermarket. Although I do have a ProTek aluminum ready to try as a swap in one of these first days. Not sure it will work, so for now staying with stock AE.

Haven't checked, but as I recall, am running about 60% Stg Endpoint L-and-R on the aftermarket servo on the mod. For what it's worth. Hope this helps.

Cheers. 'AC'

How do I check the end points and why is it making a buzzing noise ?

Try removing the steering horn from the servo and check the steering to see if the servo still buzzes. If so, its not an end-point issue. If the buzzing stops, then likely it is an end point issue. Center the steering knob on the (stock) radio and re-install the steering horn. Try again.

Can't recall on the stock radio if stg end points are adjustable. You still using the stock radio? If not, what radio system are you using?

[Edit: Correction. Checked and my radio stg ends points are set 80% L-and-R on the MT10 mod. Still less than full arc either way to keep the servo horn from striking the chassis.]

'AC'

Last edited:
A 1/10 scale servo with 60 degrees of sweep will work.Oem one was 15 kg with 60 ds.. here are more specs 25 tooth

Input (V):6.0V -7.4V
Speed (sec/60deg), 6.0V:0.16
Speed (sec/60deg), 7.4V:0.14
Torque (kg-cm), 6.0V:14.0
Torque (kg-cm), 7.4V:15.0
Dimensions:40.8 x 20.1 x 38.0
Weight (g):56.0
Connector:FUT
Spline:25

Last edited:
The MT10 and Pro4 have asymmetric steering i.e. one side reaches full lock before the other one. With the stock radio, you must set the dual rate low enough that the servo doesn’t push beyond full lock to either side – you won’t get as much steering to the other side but at least your servo will thank you. Get an aftermarket radio with EPA so you can set the left and right end points separately.

The stock servo has been mounted too lightly from the factory in some cases. It can cause shifting of the center point of your steering. Check that the screws are sufficiently tight but be careful to avoid stripping the threads.

If the servo is busted, a standard size will fit in its place. Look for at least 15–20 kg/cm of torque when choosing a replacement. More speed doesn’t hurt, upgrading to 0.10–0.12 seconds isn’t going to cost too much.

Most standard size servos will fit 1/10 and 1/8 cars.

Stock servos fail very early out of the box. They are junk. Most, if not all RTR servos fail within 2-10 runs. I'm surprised my rustler stock servo is still going, but I replaced it since it was dog slow.

35kg or higher servo should be able to move those MT tires no problem. Any servos off of amazon work and should fit. JX servos like @Greywolf74 mentioned, I heard are good servos.

I am using this is my 1/10 Slash and Rustler. 20kg, HV, Metal Gear. I love them. LHS stocks them. Not sure fi it will have enough power for big MT tires.

https://www.rcmart.com/OMG-Servos/o...vo-for-1-10-rc-buggy-omg-st-20dm-pro-00111582

Most RTR radios cannot set EPAs. You would need to upgrade your radio for that future. Some people found the hack to set end points on RTR radios that have no setting for it visible. (Ie: Losi Mini B/T RTR transmitter)

EPAs are End Point Adjustments. They limit the travel or throw of the servo so you don't over steer, or over limit the servo. I burnt up a decent amount of RTR servos because I couldn't set EPAs with the stock radio.

Last edited:
*most if not all radios DO have steering dual rate.

A TRUE 35kg servo would probably be able to bend that truck in half, but alas, torque specs have become meaningless with the flood of cheap chinese crap servos in the past few years.

*most if not all radios DO have steering dual rate.
True. Just fixed that :)

My Losi Mini B and Traxxas TQ transmitters only had steering trim and thats it. How sad. :|
The Losi had steering trim and throttle trim. Someone posted a video, and it was a secret hack to set steering EPA which was really cool.
The Traxxas TQ stuff, pretty junk. 1 option and that is steering trim. Nothing else. That's why I burnt up so many traxxas servos with that radio. See, traxxas does this, so they can take your money.
And I aint falling for traxxas's marketing scheme anymore.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your reply’s guys , I will try and work out if it’s a failure or adjustment issues today and let you know how I get on .
Really does make this hobby less daunting when I have this forum as a go to.