Revo and Engine choice

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revobunz

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey All...

So I'm not new to Nitro, I'm just new to modding them.
I have a Revo 3.3 almost totally stock. I'm about to put a new engine in it and I'm looking at videos on Y.T and what people say in forums and I'm confused on one thing..... So, the popular engine replacements seem to be the LRP and the Pico. The videos I watch with Revo's that have these engines all seem to be much more powerful (wheelie monsters) which seems fun, but the RPM specs on these engines are all way lower than the Revo's stock 3.3. The 3.3 claims 50K rpm, LRP claims 32K rpm and the Pico at 34K rpm. Unless I'm missing something, doesn't the RPM of the engine translate to top speed? In my head, the Pico and LRP although being more powerful and capable of pulling the wheels off the ground easier than the 3.3, are going to be much much slower than my stock setup.. Can somebody please confirm or deny my estimate?

Hey All...

So I'm not new to Nitro, I'm just new to modding them.
I have a Revo 3.3 almost totally stock. I'm about to put a new engine in it and I'm looking at videos on Y.T and what people say in forums and I'm confused on one thing..... So, the popular engine replacements seem to be the LRP and the Pico. The videos I watch with Revo's that have these engines all seem to be much more powerful (wheelie monsters) which seems fun, but the RPM specs on these engines are all way lower than the Revo's stock 3.3. The 3.3 claims 50K rpm, LRP claims 32K rpm and the Pico at 34K rpm. Unless I'm missing something, doesn't the RPM of the engine translate to top speed? In my head, the Pico and LRP although being more powerful and capable of pulling the wheels off the ground easier than the 3.3, are going to be much much slower than my stock setup.. Can somebody please confirm or deny my estimate?

Those are estimated numbers ,but I think you have to also go by weight & load ratio as well!
For example: A cox .049 engine is small ,but can still produce 15k to 22k rpm's.

Odds are, the 3.3 in the truck will never hit peak rated RPM's. A big block with way more torque can be geared a lot taller than the 3.3 to compensate for any rpm difference. That said, my LRP28 revo is able to pull gearing that is way faster than my 3.3 revo can go.

The issue these days is lack of a fully universal engine mount. Your stuck with traxxas's bb mount which, I think, can't deal with pull-start big block engines, so you're resigned to using a bump start. If your willing to deal with a starter box, that's fine though too.

I have the new era leaner mount in mine, which lets me use pretty much any big block with a pull start.

Last edited: