Revo 3.3, WTH is wrong with this thing?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that I have confirmation that it does sound healthy and runs good, I will be looking more into this optidrive crap. I have seen a ton of complaints on it already, seems to be one of traxxas's downfall
Now that I have confirmation that it does sound healthy and runs good, I will be looking more into this optidrive crap. I have seen a ton of complaints on it already, seems to be one of traxxas's downfall
After more tinkering, I'm finding that it really doesn't like reverse... Definitely looking into a FOC now to ditch all that optidrive jazz eventually

Last edited:
I forgot about the optidrive being on those. I do remember people complaining about having issues with them.
funny story, me and my dad were considering getting either the T-Maxx 3.3 or the Revo 3.3, I'm so glad I got the T-Maxx 😅

funny story, me and my dad were considering getting either the T-Maxx 3.3 or the Revo 3.3, I'm so glad I got the T-Maxx 😅

Revo 3.3 is a beautiful overengineered piece of tech, truly is above and beyond anything released so far in that class.
I am a happy Savage 4.6 owner now, but Revos main letdown is its plastic carb and difficult to tune well, because of it.

Revo 3.3 is a beautiful overengineered piece of tech, truly is above and beyond anything released so far in that class.
I am a happy Savage 4.6 owner now, but Revos main letdown is its plastic carb and difficult to tune well, because of it.
I actually have a Savage 4.6 too, but it's got three seized motors and is just a rolling frame on the shelf right now lol.

My boyfriend prefers TRX and got me a Revo because it's easier to work on and learn from than the Savage, apparently
I actually have a Savage 4.6 too, but it's got three seized motors and is just a rolling frame on the shelf right now lol.

My boyfriend prefers TRX and got me a Revo because it's easier to work on and learn from than the Savage, apparently

Attachments

• 16619140340456485107632908457556.jpg
    16619140340456485107632908457556.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 49

Does the revo hit second gear? That sav is nice. Are the motors blown or they just gummed up?

Can try heating them up with heat gun the free up the piston. Could also get new sleeve and piston for the motors as well.
It runs nice, I would lower the idle a little bit, and maybe go richer on a high speed needle one or two hours. Be careful when running on grass, it's a lot of resistance and engine can overheat
I run my maxx's is grass all day long. Never had heating issues. If you got the tune rite. You should be good to go beat the hell out of nitro's
Oh man I love my Maxx's got the original 2.5 from the late 90's. And recently built the 3.3. Also just built a T/E maxx. With a Revo 2.0 tranns in it. That truck rip with a 2200kv on 4s. Yeah buddy. 👍👍👍👍

Last edited:
Does the revo hit second gear? That sav is nice. Are the motors blown or they just gummed up?

Can try heating them up with heat gun the free up the piston. Could also get new sleeve and piston for the motors as well.

I run my maxx's is grass all day long. Never had heating issues. If you got the tune rite. You should be good to go beat the hell out of nitro's

Oh man I love my Maxx's got the original 2.5 from the late 90's. And recently built the 3.3. Also just built a T/E maxx. With a Revo 2.0 tranns in it. That truck rip with a 2200kv on 4s. Yeah buddy. 👍👍👍👍
Logan has an E-Maxx, he adores it. My revo DOES hit second gear, I have an amazing video I got of us burning a whole tank of fuel at full throttle, I will upload it to my YouTube to post here. You can hear it hit 2nd gear multiple times.

My savage, we got it as a bag of chit all thrown together at a garage sale for $25... lol it has 2 motors, one is gummed up but I can still spin the crank by hand, the other motor is completely seized up.

INB4 anyone cries about the fact that it did a roll without the body, I have already looked it over and no damage was done. Now that we have it running properly, it won't be ran without a body anymore lol.

Last edited:
Logan has an E-Maxx, he adores it. My revo DOES hit second gear, I have an amazing video I got of us burning a whole tank of fuel at full throttle, I will upload it to my YouTube to post here. You can hear it hit 2nd gear multiple times.

My savage, we got it as a bag of chit all thrown together at a garage sale for $25... lol it has 2 motors, one is gummed up but I can still spin the crank by hand, the other motor is completely seized up.

INB4 anyone cries about the fact that it did a roll without the body, I have already looked it over and no damage was done. Now that we have it running properly, it won't be ran without a body anymore lol.
So now that it runs good, what was the issue in the end?

So now that it runs good, what was the issue in the end?
I think the runaway, is coming from the fact that we found the antenna on the TQ Transmitter is broken almost right off... So it has a very short radio distance because of it, tried to solder a new antenna in from an old transmitter but it didn't work. Gonna get a new transmitter/receiver eventually, just gotta know my limits and stay within em right now lol.

I think it also had to do with the slipper clutch, because once I did that, and the clutch pads/springs, it's a whole different truck now.
And of course, a bit of ignorance and not knowing that it had to be warmed up before it could be properly tuned... that's why it would "untune" itself after it warmed up.

Th
I am a happy Savage 4.6 owner now, but Revos main letdown is its plastic carb and difficult to tune well, because of it
The Revo is cool, but I love the look of the T-Maxx and the feel, every RC will have a feeling made for you when tuned and perfected for your taste

Th

The Revo is cool, but I love the look of the T-Maxx and the feel, every RC will have a feeling made for you when tuned and perfected for your taste
When you first see the Revo, you are blown away, as its something you have never seen before, especially the suspension.
The engine is weak for such a heavy big chassis, and as all Traxxas engines, just runs hot and always idles high.
I find Tmaxx to be very "bland" in design, compared to Revo.

I think the runaway, is coming from the fact that we found the antenna on the TQ Transmitter is broken almost right off... So it has a very short radio distance because of it, tried to solder a new antenna in from an old transmitter but it didn't work. Gonna get a new transmitter/receiver eventually, just gotta know my limits and stay within em right now lol.

I think it also had to do with the slipper clutch, because once I did that, and the clutch pads/springs, it's a whole different truck now.
And of course, a bit of ignorance and not knowing that it had to be warmed up before it could be properly tuned... that's why it would "untune" itself after it warmed up.
First off welcome to the world of nitro it is a pita to get used too and be great with but very rewarding I only run nitro and it's great 1 tip I will give you for sure is tune on a half a tank when warmed up as the fuel level goes down it will lean out more

@Spookybrittany
If you have an emaxx, you may want to get emaxx based items as the truck js discontinued. The chassis, transmission gears and case are the few I can remember are different. The tmaxx shares alot of parts with it so those are still in production.

When you first see the Revo, you are blown away, as its something you have never seen before, especially the suspension.
The engine is weak for such a heavy big chassis, and as all Traxxas engines, just runs hot and always idles high.
I find Tmaxx to be very "bland" in design, compared to Revo.
That's why I customized the body to my liking, (took this photo on July 4th)

IMG_2535.jpg

I really miss the sweet sound of the 3.3. I however do not miss the constant fiddling with it to get it running right. But I was like you, once it was running well I was happy as a kid in a candy store.
Definitely get the optidrive out of it, I believe that was the best thing I ever did for mine. I was trying to remember some of the other mods I did that really helped but it was 13 years ago I think?
Enjoy!!

And here's just right now, the starter battery died on us lol

I'm gonna be trying it out a few more times with tuning, and if nothing works, I'm gonna try this next. 👌🏻
What year is the Revo? does the radio system use crystals? If that's the case get a new receiver an transmitter.

Hey guys,

Let's just start off by saying I'm a newbie to the max, my new-to-me Traxxas Revo 3.3 is my first (running, barely) RC truck. My boyfriend is super into RCs, and he has all sorts of electric ones. This is the only Nitro we have, because his last one ran away into a wall and blew up to say the least.

My Revo has been having hissy fits from the get-go. First, it wouldn't start at all. Fixed that with new batteries, and a new ez start. Got to run it for maybe 30 minutes, amazingly, and the exhaust broke... Fixed that, along with a broken motor mount that I found (yes it is used, probably an og revo from 2009?).

So basically the biggest issue I have, is this thing will NOT stay tuned. I'll get it tuned and going, it'll be amazing... a few full throttle pulls, it seems like the HSN moves, it completely untunes itself and tries to runaway.

We have no problems starting this thing up and it idling, although I do think it idles too high... but I don't know for sure.

It just constantly wants to run away and take off on me... Any suggestions would help, I have been eye balling these forums for months now and its helped a lot so far... I figured screw it, I'm gonna sign up and try to get some direct help to my issue with it.

I have put a new slipper clutch in it, new clutch pads, new fuel lines, air filters, new exhaust, new glowplugs and new official "Top Fuel 33%"

I don't want to prove my boyfriend right and give up on this thing because it's "too much of a headache", so please help me prove him wrong. 🤣🤣
Welcome to your new nightmare. It's a hobby. Part of the hobby is garage time.
Never give up on it. Learn as you fix them move up to non rtr models.

Hey guys,

Let's just start off by saying I'm a newbie to the max, my new-to-me Traxxas Revo 3.3 is my first (running, barely) RC truck. My boyfriend is super into RCs, and he has all sorts of electric ones. This is the only Nitro we have, because his last one ran away into a wall and blew up to say the least.

My Revo has been having hissy fits from the get-go. First, it wouldn't start at all. Fixed that with new batteries, and a new ez start. Got to run it for maybe 30 minutes, amazingly, and the exhaust broke... Fixed that, along with a broken motor mount that I found (yes it is used, probably an og revo from 2009?).

So basically the biggest issue I have, is this thing will NOT stay tuned. I'll get it tuned and going, it'll be amazing... a few full throttle pulls, it seems like the HSN moves, it completely untunes itself and tries to runaway.

We have no problems starting this thing up and it idling, although I do think it idles too high... but I don't know for sure.

It just constantly wants to run away and take off on me... Any suggestions would help, I have been eye balling these forums for months now and its helped a lot so far... I figured screw it, I'm gonna sign up and try to get some direct help to my issue with it.

I have put a new slipper clutch in it, new clutch pads, new fuel lines, air filters, new exhaust, new glowplugs and new official "Top Fuel 33%"

I don't want to prove my boyfriend right and give up on this thing because it's "too much of a headache", so please help me prove him wrong. 🤣🤣
I would check your idle gap and throttle linkage, And I would definitely move away from top fuel I can barely get my car to start on that stuff vp 20% that truck will more than likely start up and hold a tune. 😀