reviving an old car, carb trouble

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbjngf

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hey everyone, I'm not the type to go ask for help, but I'm nearing the end of my chain here. I've searched many guides and tuning help articles but I can't seem to get this thing running correctly.

At this point I can the the rc to idle, but if I pull the slide out a little (1/16th of the full range) it revs up, ever so slightly more (another 1/16th) and it revs really high for about an 1/8th of a second then goes erratic (revving up and down) for about half a second and cuts out.

From what I read it sounds like its running too lean BUT when I go to pull start it, it has a ton of resistance like its flooding.

I know I'm probably really stupid and over looking something, but I could really use some help on this one.

Being tight when pulling the starter isn't necessarily a sign of flooding. A new engine with a lot of pinch will be tight and a used/properly broken-in engine will be tight with compression.

I think it's either lean or there is an air leak and needs sealed. To make starting easier,pre-heat the engine with a heat gun or hair dryer and crack loose the glow plug. Be sure to tighten it up, once running :0

The car is actually already broken in, and I have run it quite a bit before. Your suggestion of an air leak seems most likely. Any idea of where it would be?

Do a search on the forum, there is a guide on sealing the engine here.

For leaks check the base of the carb, needles (o-rings), HSN tube, backplate (oring), exhaust (check silicon coupler) and front bearing. Change orings if necessary, apply sealant at the joints of the HSN tube, base of carb, seal the carb locknut on both ends once you have tightened it, and apply some sealant on the backplate. Be careful not to get any sealant in the engine.

Also check your fuel and pressure lines and that the tank seals tight so it can build up pressure in there.

Last edited:
I agree it sounds like it's leaning out. NitroHawk has some good suggestions. To check your tank seal (which is a common problem), turn the vehicle upside with fuel in it and if some comes out, there is your problem.

Last edited:
Back