Retired 2015 Traxxas Rustler Project “Old School Muscle”

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peeeenuuutt

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
image.jpg
This thing is old and retired but me and a friend have gotten it back on the road. It’s geared 15/54 with 32p gears and we’ve been using the stock nickel metal pack. So far we’ve seen speeds of 36mph. However, check out what I just ordered off of eBay.
image.jpg
That is an XL-5 generation 1. The reason I’m swapping the second generation that’s already in the truck? It’s got no overvoltage protection. What’s that mean?
image.jpg
It means time for some 3 cell lipo.
Let me swap in the old esc.

Out with the old...
image.jpg
And in with the older!
image.jpg
I’ll button up the wires and report back with a 3 cell lipo in there.

I tested it with the nickel meal after getting all the wires set up. It started inching forward as soon as I plugged in the battery.

I’ll see if I can get it fixed when I get home. Just got called in for work, shouldn’t be any more than 3 hours though!

Now I have something to look forward to.

Bump... heading home now... should be fun

Took it for a run. It survived about 5 minutes, then I realized the motor was at 180f and the esc at 140. Totally badass though. I broke my gps but the thing looks like a strong 50.

lol kinda got my 2005-ish rustler going again, atm running brushless but kind of wanting to go back brushed with it again, almost to much oomph for the truck, its about falling apart! rear Hub carriers are also bushings... so much wobble.

lol kinda got my 2005-ish rustler going again, atm running brushless but kind of wanting to go back brushed with it again, almost to much oomph for the truck, its about falling apart! rear Hub carriers are also bushings... so much wobble.
+1 on the bushings, and the wobble. She rips though. I’m gonna have to invest in a holmeshobby 12t soon

+1 on the bushings, and the wobble. She rips though. I’m gonna have to invest in a holmeshobby 12t soon
i need to kind of re-learn my brushed motors, for the most part back when it was either stock, or if you wanted to upgrade it was integy or Venom. so many new ones nowadays!

Back