Restoration Project #7 - Kyosho Spada

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gandalfnz

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I acquired this little guy a few days ago, never seen such a small engine!
Smallest I have experience with is .15, and this is 0.9.
Amazing to see such a small engine exists and works!
Cost me $100 USD.

Now, it seems to be barely used, and I am not sure if the engine has been broken in, but there is gummed up fuel int he tank.
I see that the carb and engine block is actually once piece.

Thought it was a two speed, but looks like its just one?
Also, how am I to start this thing, flywheel is so small, and does not protrude below the chassis plate?
Pull start or rotostart are out of the question.

Glow plug is also special size, and smaller than standard plug. At some stage I will re-tap the thread on the heatsink, to take normal size glows.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks

Attachments

• sefasf.jpg
    sefasf.jpg
    416.9 KB · Views: 150
  • assa.jpg
    assa.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 55
  • rsdgf.jpg
    rsdgf.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 59
  • asfsa.jpg
    asfsa.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 60
  • gasfsa.jpg
    gasfsa.jpg
    413.2 KB · Views: 61
  • asefs.jpg
    asefs.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 61
  • asefsasf.jpg
    asefsasf.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 56
  • asafsf.jpg
    asafsf.jpg
    395.6 KB · Views: 77
  • rsdegd.jpg
    rsdegd.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 60
  • wgfw.jpg
    wgfw.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 66
Sweet ride. I'm guessing its like a mini rs4 or the like? Seems on the smaller side. I never heard of a .9 engine! I think the Traxxas Image .12 is the smallest I heard of. Probably a good idea to tap the hole for standard plugs.

Hows the belt vs shaft? I've always neen svared of shreading one.

09 engines were common ,an I think they still might be produced ,there was all kinds of
mini's in the early 2000 to 2012 ,that included mini stadium trucks ,buggy's & trophy trucks ,
including rally & street cars!

Sweet ride. I'm guessing its like a mini rs4 or the like? Seems on the smaller side. I never heard of a .9 engine! I think the Traxxas Image .12 is the smallest I heard of. Probably a good idea to tap the hole for standard plugs.

Hows the belt vs shaft? I've always neen svared of shreading one.
I must admit, I was the same, thinking belt drives was just asking for trouble, and nowhere to be found once they snap.
Turns out they never do, and are extremely durable.
The S3 Kyosho you see just above the Spada, probably the worst condition restore I have ever done, that car has been abused to the point I had to replace the engine. Guess what, belts look like new.
I noticed that acceleration and throttle response time is so much smoother on it.
Shouldnt turn you away from getting one.
The only problem are small stones that can get caught between and the pulley, and it such case, its the pulley that ends up damaged.
I have no such problems as the road I drive it on is quite clean.

09 engines were common ,an I think they still might be produced ,there was all kinds of
mini's in the early 2000 to 2012 ,that included mini stadium trucks ,buggy's & trophy trucks ,
including rally & street cars!

Thank you, yes its a .09 bore engine, its very small!

Good to know. I may look for one if its like that. 😁 my rare cars get the road blown off to ensure no pebbles.

I must admit, I was the same, thinking belt drives was just asking for trouble, and nowhere to be found once they snap.
Turns out they never do, and are extremely durable.
The S3 Kyosho you see just above the Spada, probably the worst condition restore I have ever done, that car has been abused to the point I had to replace the engine. Guess what, belts look like new.
I noticed that acceleration and throttle response time is so much smoother on it.
Shouldnt turn you away from getting one.
The only problem are small stones that can get caught between and the pulley, and it such case, its the pulley that ends up damaged.
I have no such problems as the road I drive it on is quite clean.

Thank you, yes its a .09 bore engine, its very small!

Kyosho made a lot of those sizes ,just because may not be normal here in the states ,those sizes are still popular in Japan!.:thumbs-up::cool:
I think Siro engines made an 09 an they are rare ,becareful what you do with that ,it could be worth more than what you gave for it!..🤔

Last edited:
They are supposed to come with their own starter box.

Thanks ppl.

Yes, its a Sirio 09, made in Italy.

Cleaned the fuel tank and fuel lines today, its ready to fire up.
Cars manual says use Kyosho 2.0 starter box.
I dont have any, never needed it, however from the pic, it does seem that the starter box spinning rubber wheel is too big and will not reach the small fly wheel on the Spada?

What to do guys?

Attachments

• Kyosho36209__55494.1625540999.JPG
    Kyosho36209__55494.1625540999.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 41
I am back to this one atm...

Any sugggestions regarding the steering linkage.
This is not stock and has been MacGyverd by the previous owner.
This way, one of the wheels does not turn at all when steering to the left, so set up is rubbish.
Also what is the proper name for the white bit on each rod end?

spada1.jpg

Second thing is, I see this has one speed clutch bell, but has a two speed transmission.
Would love to make it 2 speed, but when I google Kyosho Spada 2 speed clutch bell, there is a bell with no pinions, I guess they are purchased separately.
Parts for these are super rare and expensive.

spada2.jpg

The white pieces are called "rod ends" or "link ends". In 1:1 drag cars and such, they are rod ends.

You could get a dual horn or a round horn and do this.
Untitled131_20220825190210.png

Back