Researching that first car

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Studio Deep Dive

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So far;
E-Revo 2
Maxx
Typhon 6s
(More to come)

Of those, i would go with the Typhon, but i am biased against Traxxas.
I've started to stumble on this. Whats the deal? Is it Arrma vs Traxxas? Why don't people like Traxxas?

people feel Traxxas has made many non vender paying RC makers go under its purely hog wash if they paid there Bills they would still be here . sure Traxxas has Sued a few RC makers after they ignored Traxxas cease and desist orders.. for there purchased or own copywritten products.
Me Id pick Erevo 2 ..

I've started to stumble on this. Whats the deal? Is it Arrma vs Traxxas? Why don't people like Traxxas?
With Traxxas, you dont get whay you pay for. Expensive vehicles that need expensive upgrades arent worth it in my opinion. I dont own any Traxxas vehicles, but everyone i know that does, is constantly touting how they replaced half or more of the vehicle with aftermarket parts, not by choice, but by necessity, all in the first few months of ownership. Read any traxxas forum, and all you see are guys constantly talking about the massive list of upgrades the vehicles need to make them durable. For me, i will stick with a brand that i can run for more than a week before i have to spend as much on parts as i did to buy the vehicle. Any of those vehicles you see doing big jumps and tricks on YouTube, they are usually fully of RPM and other company upgrades, and, several online users, like Kevin Talbot, have videos showing what needs to be done to make them durable, like taking the whole vehicle apart and soaking the chassis and plastic parts in WD40 for 24 hours to make them more flexible. With the cars i buy, from Arrma, DHK, Losi, Team Associated, i have never had to do any of that magic for them to be durable and consistent. I still have a 2011 Arrma Fury, and 2013 Racers edge Pro 2, both of which are discontinued, that are more durable than any Traxxas i have ever seen, and, with very, very minimal upgrades (mostly on the RE (huibs, hexes, axles, bearings), (the Fury, the only "upgrades" i have done are swapping to an MIP ball diff, since the stock diff was discontinued, rubber shielded bearings, and aluminum hexes) they are still running in mostly stock trim, with stock parts.

Then, there is the proprietary electronics, which just ups the price even more. You can't just use any battery or ESC with them, since they have it set up so only Traxxas branded "smart" or "ID" electronics will work with it, so, if you want to go with a different brand ESC for example, then you are stuck buying all new batteries for it, or, you are stuck buying expensive Traxxas ESC's and batteries, since they dont make adapters of any kind for the "ID" stuff.

With Traxxas, you dont get whay you pay for. Expensive vehicles that need expensive upgrades arent worth it in my opinion. I dont own any Traxxas vehicles, but everyone i know that does, is constantly touting how they replaced half or more of the vehicle with aftermarket parts, not by choice, but by necessity, all in the first few months of ownership. Read any traxxas forum, and all you see are guys constantly talking about the massive list of upgrades the vehicles need to make them durable. For me, i will stick with a brand that i can run for more than a week before i have to spend as much on parts as i did to buy the vehicle. Any of those vehicles you see doing big jumps and tricks on YouTube, they are usually fully of RPM and other company upgrades, and, several online users, like Kevin Talbot, have videos showing what needs to be done to make them durable, like taking the whole vehicle apart and soaking the chassis and plastic parts in WD40 for 24 hours to make them more flexible. With the cars i buy, from Arrma, DHK, Losi, Team Associated, i have never had to do any of that magic for them to be durable and consistent. I still have a 2011 Arrma Fury, and 2013 Racers edge Pro 2, both of which are discontinued, that are more durable than any Traxxas i have ever seen, and, with very, very minimal upgrades (mostly on the RE (huibs, hexes, axles, bearings), (the Fury, the only "upgrades" i have done are swapping to an MIP ball diff, since the stock diff was discontinued, rubber shielded bearings, and aluminum hexes) they are still running in mostly stock trim, with stock parts.

Then, there is the proprietary electronics, which just ups the price even more. You can't just use any battery or ESC with them, since they have it set up so only Traxxas branded "smart" or "ID" electronics will work with it, so, if you want to go with a different brand ESC for example, then you are stuck buying all new batteries for it, or, you are stuck buying expensive Traxxas ESC's and batteries, since they dont make adapters of any kind for the "ID" stuff.
Dang! I REALLY appreciate all the advice! What would you suggest to look at that is close to the E-Revo?

I wouldn't really go brand specific. IMHO, what really matters is the car itself, and the variety that both brands bring. Of the three, I would say the Maxx is the most durable and easy to work on due to its chassis design and whatnot. The Typhon would probably handle the best out of the three due to the longer wheelbase and lower CG, and the E Revo would be kind of a mix between the two. The E Revo is a very unique truck since it is one of the fewer cars with the in-board cantilever suspension.

If you want to go brand specific, I'm leaning more towards Traxxas than Arrma TBH. Of the 6 Traxxas vehicles I own, 2 came with electronic problems (servo and receiver), but Traxxas fixed both within a week. I got my first Arrma (Granite 4x4 V3) a couple weeks ago, and it came with a clicking/grinding noise in the rear diff (right out of the box). It's been almost 8 days since I sent the email to Horizon, and I only got an automatic reply with my case number, so... I'm not really sure what happened there (still waiting for a reply). Of course, different people may have different experiences with both companies, so choose whichever one that provides the most fun for you.

I wouldn't really go brand specific. IMHO, what really matters is the car itself, and the variety that both brands bring. Of the three, I would say the Maxx is the most durable and easy to work on due to its chassis design and whatnot. The Typhon would probably handle the best out of the three due to the longer wheelbase and lower CG, and the E Revo would be kind of a mix between the two. The E Revo is a very unique truck since it is one of the fewer cars with the in-board cantilever suspension.

If you want to go brand specific, I'm leaning more towards Traxxas than Arrma TBH. Of the 6 Traxxas vehicles I own, 2 came with electronic problems (servo and receiver), but Traxxas fixed both within a week. I got my first Arrma (Granite 4x4 V3) a couple weeks ago, and it came with a clicking/grinding noise in the rear diff (right out of the box). It's been almost 8 days since I sent the email to Horizon, and I only got an automatic reply with my case number, so... I'm not really sure what happened there (still waiting for a reply). Of course, different people may have different experiences with both companies, so choose whichever one that provides the most fun for you.
I really appreciate the input. What do you think of bigman's thoughts about having to upgrade a bunch of traxxas parts out of the box?

I really appreciate the input. What do you think of bigman's thoughts about having to upgrade a bunch of traxxas parts out of the box?
This Traxxas forum post is strictly for the the E-Revo: https://forums.traxxas.com/showthread.php?9053197-What-needs-upgrade-out-of-the-box. You might want to look through it. The parts in this one, again right from Traxxas: https://traxxas.com/news/e-revo-full-option-build are pretty much required, according to the Traxxas forum.

There are actually several Truggy style vehicles like the E-Revo, but most of them are from cheaper companies. The Maverick Quanam XT is a newer contender in the states, but, their parent company is HPI, and seem to get very good reviews. There is also the JLB Cheetah, that you can only get online, but, a few people i know have it, and it seems to be pretty durable, although the older version electronics are weak, the newer 120A seems to be a much better out of the box. It mainly depends on your budget, and what you are looking for. Brushed or brushless. 1/10TH, 1/18th, Another option is buy a vehicle and then buy the body you want for it, but, if you are looking for a truggy, you need to find something for a wing, or make one fit. Another option is DHK Hobby. The Zombie 8E is discontinued, but, you can get the body, wing, and wing mount, and put that on one of there other vehicles. There are also kits from Tekno and Team Associated, but they are pricey.

I'd also suggest Arrma, a lot easier to work on, great warranty service, a lot more durable out of the box, almost all models have interchangeable parts that allow for some neat creations and customization, price point is great also. Here's my Arrma TyphCast that is a mix of 4 of the Arrma 6s lineup parts (Typhon, Outcast, Mojave, Kraton)
IMG_20210121_194936_568.jpg

I also smash my rigs and launch them big and have very minimal breakage, mind you I've practiced a lot and land flat on all 4's but they are tough rigs for sure!

I'd also suggest Arrma, a lot easier to work on, great warranty service, a lot more durable out of the box, almost all models have interchangeable parts that allow for some neat creations and customization, price point is great also. Here's my Arrma TyphCast that is a mix of 4 of the Arrma 6s lineup parts (Typhon, Outcast, Mojave, Kraton)
View attachment 125178
I also smash my rigs and launch them big and have very minimal breakage, mind you I've practiced a lot and land flat on all 4's but they are tough rigs for sure!
That rig looks GNARLY! Incredible job ?

That rig looks GNARLY! Incredible job ?
I can't take the credit for that one, a fellow Arrma Forum brother created it and I was able to buy it through the forum from him. It came with MX28's but they were too small for me car was slow so I put some K6s tires on it and it's an absolute beast now? here's my first real good bash with it

Traxxas, Arrma, Associated, Kyosho, Losi, Etc...

In my opinion, they all have their goods and bads that will make them all equal in the end. I would just pick you which ever one is dressed in your favorite color.

I'm a non biased rc car driver. If it has 4 wheels and requires a transmitter it's gonna be fun! Congratulations on your purchase!

Back