removing tires from rims?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajeauxdn

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
is there an easy way to do this without the use of CA removal glue?

Many have said that you can boil your tires and that will get them off.... but I tried this a couple days ago and it didn't work for me. I boiled the piss out of em too, for probably 20 minutes while checking them every so often. Anyone know what the secret is for boiling the tires?

I don't know about boiling. What I do is set the oven to about 250 and put the wheels on a disposable aluminum tray and put it in the oven, AFTER I turn the oven off, for about 5 minutes. Keep an eye on them. After about 5 mins, just pop off the rubber. Whatch out though, you will warp the plastic rims iff you leave it in too long.

Save yourself the headache and ditch them or sell them and buy some new ones.

aj - asetone will also take them off with ease - but be careful, it sometimes eats plastic

hey nitro addict, where do u get the asetone at?? i want to put different rims on my mulcher tires and i dont know what to use to get if off.

bryan

I did the boiling water thing. Took forever. Acetone is available at any hardware store I think. Paint department. More than likely if he's taking it off the rim, he's not gonna use that rim again.

i did boiling and they popped right off

This thread has come up time and time again on so many different boards. I am not blaming you in any way, shoot tires are expensive who wouldn't want to get em off, espically if you break a rizmin. I think these threads should really be called, "How do I seperate the cash from my wallet?", because in the end every time I try this that is what I end up doing. Yes sometimes with hardcore chemies I get them loose, but the tires always get messed up in some way, whether it be heat stress, chemical burn, or the old yank em out of shape routine. It sucks but save yourself some time and buy some new shoes.

well i would, but i am poor and i can't afford tires right at this moment so i have to use whatever i can get.

bryan

supermaxx - u can get asetone at the hardware store or ur LHS - costs about 9.00 a gallon, or about 4.00 a quart, which is about all u would need.

also - if u live with a woman - use her nailpolish remover - it is almost pure asetone.

nailpolish remevor eh? sounds good. my mom has a whole bunch of that stuff. i will try tonight and see what it does.

bryan

Well, the reason I wanted to take them off is to save money like you said humboldtblazer, but its mostly the problem of stripping out a rim and still having a great tire. I finnaly got it the rim of by using a knife to cut away the tire form rim at point of contact. This worked good untill I lost my cool with the rim and riped the tire in a rage. guess I should have just went and seperated the cash from my wallet
:doh: :doh: :doh:

dont worry been there done that.:doh:

I boiled my wheels and the tires came off fine. The only thing is that the chrome on the rims came. Oh well I wanted to paint them anyway.

well the nail polish remover isnt always acetone, a lot of times it specifically says non acetone....just check the bottle first, the other crap prolly wont do much

hey guys, i tried the nailpolish thing last night and it didnt work. it said that it had aseton in it but it didnt do anything. so i will try the boiling water thing here a little bit.

bryan

If they were glued properly, it's next to impossible to remove them from the wheel and not damage them. If the outer edge of the tire has sealed to the bead, you'll need alot of acetone and alot of time for it to work it's way through a quality glue. Hope you have alot of time.:madface:

lol, ya the acetone didnt work for me. i did the boiling thing and got them off. but i had to fight with them to do it. i have to go and clean the bead of the rims off teh get all the access tire rubber off so the tires fit properly

bryan

Boiling didn't work for me and neither did Debonder (which is specifically made to remove cured CA, but I may have not let it soak in long enough but I'd think a couple of minutes would be plenty). What I did was peel back the tire as far as I could and then take the old trusty X-ACTO knife and cut them. Then I glued them to the new wheels and VIOLA! good as new!.