removing the exhaust pipe for more power

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadForce

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi I have an R/C Nitro monster truck (Kyosho mad force) and anyway it was my brothers and I got it working again, when I fixed the clutch it hasnt gone into 2nd gear - I think it did when the clutch was buggered.

Anyway it'll accelerate real quick but no top speed at all. It revs hard but doesn't fly like it used to I could run faster than its top speed probably.

So yesterday my friend and I were driving it and the exhaust pipe fell out of the rubber tube that connects to the engine and goes into the pipe and it was loud as hell. it was awesome. It also got alot (like double) the power it just had. Like 2nd gear was working again. Because I hit a jump and it flew.

Is there any damage that can happen if I keep the exhaust off? Because I like how loud it is. And I think it gives it more power. Am I right or derp?

DERP...

You need a pipe. Without it you will burn up the engine in short time.
If performance got better when the pipe fell off, 99% of the time thats an indication the tune is too rich.

Yep, once the pipe fell off there was no back pressure feeding fuel into the motor, leaning it out.

stock-photo-red-hot-rod-engine-1824125.jpg
+
gms471.jpg

I shouldnt do that? :(

The pipes on the left are velocity stacks for the intake, not the exhaust. Your engine must have some back pressure to function properly as well as providing pressure to the tank to pump fuel to the carb and prevent a lean condition as mentioned above.

I see. Any idea why my car only goes into second gear when the pipe comes off? Thanks

I see. Any idea why my car only goes into second gear when the pipe comes off? Thanks
Because your tune is WAY off. I mean it is your RC, do what you want with it but when it goes to crap and breaks because you refuse to listen to the voice of logic don't come back and ask why. There is hunderds of years of combined experience here "I have close to 10 in nitro myself" and we are all telling you you need an exhaust. You are probably too rich right now... take off the pipe it forces you lean giving you higher RPMs....allowing you to shift. Does that mean it is running better? No it does not but you believe what you want, have fun with that.

I just thought that while it may not run anywhere near its best it should still be able to go into second but I dont know. I will tune it again.

Doesn't Rc 2 speed tranny's kick in only when the car reaching a certain speed?

If so, that could be why. Your engine is way too rich, so it's not reaching it's point of 2nd gear engaging.

Weather it's because the richness starts to bog down the piston which makes speed lose, or whatever.

I'm not an expert so excuse me if i'm wrong.

maybe u need to turn the gearbox. i know in my revo there is a whole u can put a tool into and tighten/loosen to change gear sooner/later.

maybe u need to turn the gearbox. i know in my revo there is a whole u can put a tool into and tighten/loosen to change gear sooner/later.

I didnt even know that was an option!

OMG...pipe on, lean it and adjust the tranny if needed after.

Maybe what you want to here is.

SUPERCHARGE IT and put NOS (NAAAAWWWSSS) on it and it should fix the problem

:):):):):)

thats the proplem it needs a supercharger,and with them velocity stacks it will fly,just kidding we were all newbies at one time.i know i asked alot stupid ?and still do

I'm just crackin jokes. Don't mind my sarcastic sense of humor.

But remember, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Here's where I would start. Put the pipe back on with it installed as tight as possible. Get the engine up to operating temp which would be Atleast 150 to 200 degrees and reset the carb back to stock. I'm sure you can find the settings online or through ofna. Then once you know that the engine is running right, then adjust the tranny so that it shifts. You could also be dealing with a severely worn engine that would only run rich due to the engine being worn. If the above does not solve your issue than I'm afraid that your engine might be toast.

From an open header or muffler to a properly tuned pipe you stand to gain up to 25% more power. Here is a link to a tuning guide and if you follow it step for step (with the pipe on) you will have more power then without it as long as the engine is sound, it may not be a full 25% gain but the difference will be there, I guarantee it.

http://www.extremercmods.com/content/tuning-popup.html