Removing Painted Over Chrome Wheels

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPI-Killer

Axial Axle Twisting Guru
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Okay I may have a trade of wheels for wheels and the other person would like to know the best way to remove paint (flat black) off of a 1.9 chrome wheel? The wheel was not scrubbed or sanded or anything prior to paint, just painted, flame me if someone has gone over this also lol.

Thanks guys

Unless it would effect the chrome, soaking them in some brake fluid would get the paint off.

Easy off oven cleaner! Don't leave it on to long or you will eat the chrome.

Last edited:
Easy off oven cleaner! Don't leave it on to long or you will eat the chrome.

No matter how long he leaves it on it's going to remove the chrome. I have used easy off many times to strip chrome plating off plastic parts. There is no way he will be able to use it to take all the paint off and not have it take the chrome off as well.

No matter how long he leaves it on it's going to remove the chrome. I have used easy off many times to strip chrome plating off plastic parts. There is no way he will be able to use it to take all the paint off and not have it take the chrome off as well.

Even with brake fluid ya think?

Brake fluid might work. I have never used it on chrome plated stuff so I don't know if it will harm the chrome or not. It should take the paint off though, I have used brake fluid to strip the paint off a FG body. But no way is easy off not gonna strip the chrome, I guarantee that, lol.

There is no real guarrenty on what will and won't work a lot is trial and error i wouldn't of mentioned it but i have done it with succes a long time ago on a jerobe car i had. Maybe the plating prosses changed over the years NC probally is right. If i get the chance i will try it then i'll post the results if there ok.I don't want to give you bad info sorry about that.:D PS. The finish was hazed a little if i remember right.

Last edited:
Back