RedCat XTE Blackout full throttle without being on

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its the two outermost pins. The one in the middle is V+.
Sorry, I was trying to post from my phone and my first post didn't show till I posted the second one.

Those will work with just about any rc receiver I've seen. Pretty much universal.
I got my bind plug today in the mail and I plugged it into the bind port and followed my instructions to bind the car and it still just goes balls to the wall when I connect the battery.

Sorry, I didn't see the transmitter pic the first time i read the thread. Does flipping the throttle switch on the transmitter change anything?
Does it still go full throttle with the receiver completely unhooked?

Sorry, I didn't see the transmitter pic the first time i read the thread. Does flipping the throttle switch on the transmitter change anything?
Does it still go full throttle with the receiver completely unhooked?
What is the receiver and what do I need to try to unhook? The transmitter is the controller, correct? I flipped the switch for the throttle but its still doing it.

Yes, the controller is the transmitter. The receiver is the box you plugged your bind plug into. Unplug both connectors and then plug in your battery to see if wot (wide open throttle) stops.

When you flipped the throttle switch on your transmitter, did the tires go the other direction?

Yes, the controller is the transmitter. The receiver is the box you plugged your bind plug into. Unplug both connectors and then plug in your battery to see if wot (wide open throttle) stops.

When you flipped the throttle switch on your transmitter, did the tires go the other direction?
When I reverse the throttle on the switch on the transmitter it continues to go the same way. However when I unplugged the receiver all together it does still go wot when I plug in the battery.

If neither of these things make a difference, then you likely have damage to the speed control. I've never seen an esc fail in that manner, but you've pretty much eliminated all the other possibilities.

From your description of it getting hot to the point of smoking, it could be the signal wires melted together where they go into the esc and might be repairable if you have the ability to solder to a circuit board. You'd first have to get the esc housing open to inspect it.

While possible, imo, it's not worth the effort. A replacement esc is relatively cheap.

I'd highly recommend you get some type of temp reader to avoid this in the future.
You did attempt to relearn your your esc right? Someone mentioned that earlier on.

If neither of these things make a difference, then you likely have damage to the speed control. I've never seen an esc fail in that manner, but you've pretty much eliminated all the other possibilities.

From your description of it getting hot to the point of smoking, it could be the signal wires melted together where they go into the esc and might be repairable if you have the ability to solder to a circuit board. You'd first have to get the esc housing open to inspect it.

While possible, imo, it's not worth the effort. A replacement esc is relatively cheap.

I'd highly recommend you get some type of temp reader to avoid this in the future.
You did attempt to relearn your your esc right? Someone mentioned that earlier on.
I have not attempted to re-learn the esc because the car wont even let me bind it to my controller. Nothing that I've done now will stop the throttle from going wot. I'm just so confused. I tried to watch the video about re-learning the esc but the button the guy refers to on the video beside the on off switch on the car, I dont have.

Ok, the relearn is very important to eliminate before condemning the esc. Your likely looking at a video for a different esc if they are using a button you dont have. Did you get any paperwork with the car? They almost always provide the relearn information in the paperwork with the car. I'm not familiar with redcat esc's so I'm not much help there. Hopefully someone here who is will chime in. You should be able to go to redcats website and get the information from there. https://dealer.redcatracing.com/manuals/BLACKOUTXTEMANUAL.pdf I think this is the right info. If not, click on the support link at the top and select the correct vehicle.

Also, you can disconnect one of your motor wires or remove the pinion gear from the motor to stop the wot while your trying to relearn.

I dont see any relearn paperwork in my manual, yes its the same as the one you linked for me. I will try to unplug the motor wires and try to bind it that way later on today. I really appreciate all your guys help with this to try and get my car working again.
Ok, the relearn is very important to eliminate before condemning the esc. Your likely looking at a video for a different esc if they are using a button you dont have. Did you get any paperwork with the car? They almost always provide the relearn information in the paperwork with the car. I'm not familiar with redcat esc's so I'm not much help there. Hopefully someone here who is will chime in. You should be able to go to redcats website and get the information from there. https://dealer.redcatracing.com/manuals/BLACKOUTXTEMANUAL.pdf I think this is the right info. If not, click on the support link at the top and select the correct vehicle.

Also, you can disconnect one of your motor wires or remove the pinion gear from the motor to stop the wot while your trying to relearn.

So I have disconnected the motor wires and tried to bind the controller. It seems to have binded because now when I press the throttle I get a light that comes on on my esc and brake I get lights. If I barely touch the motor wires together it goes wot. I saw this in another thread about re calibrating the esc. They refer to a reset button on the esc on the same model as my car. Is this what they're talking about?

Attachments

• 20220506_124408_capture.jpg
    20220506_124408_capture.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 36
No, the button they are referencing should be on the esc.

Attachments

• 20220506_131557.jpg
    20220506_131557.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 20220506_131606.jpg
    20220506_131606.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 20220506_131510.jpg
    20220506_131510.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220506_131553.jpg
    20220506_131553.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 32
I just want to clarify something. Are you saying that regardless of the switch being on or off, the motor goes wot as soon as you plug in the battery? Flipping the switch doesn't stop it?

Back