Redcat Volcano S30 Help???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortluck45

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Bought this supposed to be broken down nitro Volcano S30 for 35 bucks. Engine has great compression and got it running just fine. Only problem I have is when it cranks up it automatically goes to full throttle and doesn't idle low at all. I have a 1-2 mm gap on the carb opening like I have seen on several you tube vids. Do I need to adjust my idle screw on my carb to fix this issue? If not then does anyone have any other things I can look at to fix this issue. I want to enjoy my 35 buck investment some. Even if I put 50 bucks more I have not lost a thing. Thanks for any suggestions.

Please take pity as I am a newb to nitro rc world. Thanks

Simple fix:

1. Take off air filter (with engine off)
2. Turn on transmitter and receiver
3. Look at gap (should be size of a credit card)

The only way a vehicle will go full throttle is if the venturi gap is opened up too wide. So yes, close it up as much as you can allowing it to still idle.

In other words, try checking the gap with electronics on. Also...with those roto carbs, it's REAL easy to knock the carb open with your knuckle when pulling the pull-start. So get it started and turn the carb in as far as it can go...if it still wants to move, your idle stop is opened too wide. ;-) Other than that you have busted clutch spring.

Either way, congrats on getting it started....you've overcome one of the biggest obstacles for those new to the nitro world. -)

Last edited:
Turn idle screw down and check trim on your transmitter
Turn your transmitter and receiver on and see where your gap is, if its open then turn your trim down
And set idle screw to .5-1mm and try that. Make sure you have good batteries!
35 is cheap so enjoy

Thanks for the tips guys. Got the truck started today and actually ran it some. Still got some tweaking to do with the low end on the carb, but I am happy to this point. Got my 10 year wedding anniversary coming up. So maybe a Traxxas or Losi for that milestone.

Is it normal for an engine to spit some small spray from the exhaust while running and cranking? Like I said I am still a newb so bear with me. Again thanks for the replies to my post.

There should be a nice blue smoke trail. Not spitting big drops

Not big drops. Small mist when left in one spot idling. Blue smoke trail when it is running. I am running 33% nitro fuel. Came with it when I bought. Figure it will be best bet since it has higher oil level to make engine last longer for me. You guys here are awesome. Thanks for the help.

A little bit is good, that is oil coming out, natural for these motors, and 33% will give you a slight increase in power, but will ultimately wear the motor down quicker as well.
I would suggest 20-25% nitro, I'm glad you've got it running and are having some fun!
Be sure to get know your vehicle in a more in depth level!
Check the diffs make sure there oiled, check all the screws, and the drive cups(those tend to eat around the inside!) Check your bearings!! Just go over everything and learn you vehicle!

Become one younggg garrassshopppaaarrrrr!
You can also upgrade these to a 2 speed transmission!! Great upgrade but super fast!