Redcat Shredder v2 Questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godfella691981

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
I just recently purchased a Redcat Shredder. Besides installing the Earthquake motor mount with an Arrma 6s motor and ESC is there any other mods that can be done? I have issues with the front tires ballooning too much on take off. I don't like the tires AT ALL. I actually swapped them out with a set of Trencher 2.8s they are small but it makes the car easier to control. I was thinking of getting a set of Arrma Outcast 6s Tires *dboots or Proline 3.8 tires.

I also would like opinions on the shocks, I know they will require heavier oil I have 80wt on the shelf as of now I could use.

Switching to 300K center diff fluid will prevent the front tires from ballooning so much.

Switching to 300K center diff fluid will prevent the front tires from ballooning so much.
Thank you. 300k sounds a bit thick wont that put to much traction to the rear end then it will spin out more?

Some are using 500K and 1 million, so 300K is a little more on the conservative side. Either way, I would go with at least with 100K to help get rid of the ballooning of the front tires. I've been using this stuff with good results - Ultimate RC diff fluid

I was running 500k in my outcast when I was on 4S, but have dropped to 300k now that I run 6S. Also, you can wrap your tires with kevlar string externally then CA glue it every inch or so to the tire. If it's recessed down in the tread, it holds up for a while. I was using multiple wraps of a 70lb line, but now I use a single wrap (two rows) of a 500lb+ ~1.5mm cored kelvar line and it seems to do better. The smaller line would get chewed up pretty quick on concrete.

This is the line I'm using now:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AZBSI0M

I run trencher 3.8's on my outcast, ERBEv2 and savage flux hp, all on 6S and all of them are wrapped similarly.

This is with 3 or 4 wraps of the thinner line:
2019-0328-ProlineTrencher3.8-KevlarLine.jpg

You can see the thicker line on these TT MT4 tires I ran on my ERBE for a while. One of the wheels broke, so now I'm running trenchers on it as well but with the thicker line, I don't have a good photo of it though.
2019-0809-ERBEv2-ThunderTigerMT4G3Tires-front.jpg

The shredder is 1/6 scale... those 2.8 tires must look really out of place on it. Or are you running 3.8" trenchers?

I was running 500k in my outcast when I was on 4S, but have dropped to 300k now that I run 6S. Also, you can wrap your tires with kevlar string externally then CA glue it every inch or so to the tire. If it's recessed down in the tread, it holds up for a while. I was using multiple wraps of a 70lb line, but now I use a single wrap (two rows) of a 500lb+ ~1.5mm cored kelvar line and it seems to do better. The smaller line would get chewed up pretty quick on concrete.

This is the line I'm using now:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AZBSI0M

I run trencher 3.8's on my outcast, ERBEv2 and savage flux hp, all on 6S and all of them are wrapped similarly.

This is with 3 or 4 wraps of the thinner line:

You can see the thicker line on these TT MT4 tires I ran on my ERBE for a while. One of the wheels broke, so now I'm running trenchers on it as well but with the thicker line, I don't have a good photo of it though.

The shredder is 1/6 scale... those 2.8 tires must look really out of place on it. Or are you running 3.8" trenchers?

I was thinking of just sticking a silicone ear plug in the center diff. I put one in my Arrma Granite rear diff and it made the rear wheels almost positive traction, you could still turn the wheels separately by hand.

Those 3.8 trenchers look nice on there! The Trencher 2.8s is all I had laying around because all I have ever owned is 1/10 scale Arrma vehicles. It looks absolutely odd but it seems to handle very well on road (better then my 1/10 scale) I can't jump anything because ground clearance is very low, I didnt really buy it to jump anyway since bigger vehicles tend to break more. I bought this one mainly because there is an enormous amount of room on the chassis to put things and to run off road in the dirt and gravel.

My Trencher 2.8s do not balloon as much as they used to, I taped up the inside holes on the rim and took a soldering iron and put small vent holes in the treads of the tire, it helps vent water as well that way.

For replacement tires I was thinking about the Trencher 3.8's but I feared they would be to wide and rub on the body, so I was going to get a set of tires from an Arrma Outcast and put on it. I can't find any extenders that will work.

A Couple pictures for your amusement

I run those on my stampede 4x4. They fit the size of the truck a bit better.
2017-0715-Stampede-NewBodySideHigh.jpg

Maybe you could try some of the arrma LP (4S kraton/outcast) wheels/tires. Guys seem to be liking those. I think they are 17mm. Although... they may be similar in size to those, but I think they are taller. Could check on the arrma forum to see if you can find a comparison photo.

I run Trencher 2.8s on my Arrma Typhon 3s and Granite they look a lot better on them. The stock Shredder tires are 168mm x 81mm. The 4s tires are 154x77 they would be just a tiny bit smaller. The Arrma 6s dBoots Backflip are 172x77 they would be skinnier and a bit taller. The optional wheel for the Arrma 6s outcast is the Copperhead mt I might try and find a set of those. I havent decided yet, I have a Max10 SCT esc I want to put in to replace the 80 amp one I'm hoping it can handle the weight with the stock motor

I ended up going with a set of Arrma Outcast 6s dBoots Backflip 6s tires and wheels for my Shredder v2. I am sure I could find a better choice I just do not know whats out there besides XMAXX tires/wheels.

As for center diff fluid, I put 500k in it and replaced the plastic spur gear with a metal one. I upgraded the motor to 2150kv but it smoked the ESC and motor combined with the 15t stock pinion gear. I ended up getting a replacement stock ESC and went with a Redcat 1930kv motor and a 17t pinion and I have had no issues.

Last edited:
That looks cool. The BL 3.8 are 149mm X 69mm, The Backflip 6s are 172mm X 77mm
So the dBoots Backflip are slightly larger in diameter and width with similar tread patterns.

If I knew if XMAXX wheels with the splined hexes would fit I would buy a set, but that's a back of an investment possibly for nothing. I don't know if there are splined hubs available for the shredder

I thought I read somewhere that the spline can be dremmeled out to accept a regular 17mm hub?

I was just looking at some Badlands for my MT just now!...:cool:
I will never buy another proline product. I purchased a set of 2.8 Trenchers earlier this year and after the first run on my Arrma Granite 1/10 on on 3s 3 of the wheels cracked at the hex. I turned in a warranty claim along with pictures proving they were broke and proline refused to replace them, it took me two weeks waiting on emails and calling people to get them to send me 1 set of 2 tires that left me having to buy another set of 2 at my local hobby shop.

I thought I read somewhere that the spline can be dremmeled out to accept a regular 17mm hub?
Hmm..never heard of that. If you remove the spines wouldnt it be smaller then 17mm then? I do know that splined hubs will fit regular rims.

I will never buy another proline product. I purchased a set of 2.8 Trenchers earlier this year and after the first run on my Arrma Granite 1/10 on on 3s 3 of the wheels cracked at the hex. I turned in a warranty claim along with pictures proving they were broke and proline refused to replace them, it took me two weeks waiting on emails and calling people to get them to send me 1 set of 2 tires that left me having to buy another set of 2 at my local hobby shop.
I was thinking on getting them used from a private party ,I need tires bad for my truck ,I don't think that it has as much
torque off the line like the brushless motors have ,my truck is nitro!

I was thinking on getting them used from a private party ,I need tires bad for my truck ,I don't think that it has as much
torque off the line like the brushless motors have ,my truck is nitro!
They would be good for Nitro, they do balloon at high speed pretty bar but that can be fixed by straping the tires.
If you have 17mm hex I would check on eBay for a set of Arrma outcast 6s dBoots Backflip tires or even the 4s dBoots tires. It depends on how large of tire you need

They would be good for Nitro, they do balloon at high speed pretty bar but that can be fixed by straping the tires.
If you have 17mm hex I would check on eBay for a set of Arrma outcast 6s dBoots Backflip tires or even the 4s dBoots tires. It depends on how large of tire you need

For my MGT ,had Losi claws ,but old age finally done them in!

They ballooned bad ,here!...LOL

For my MGT ,had Losi claws ,but old age finally done them in!

They ballooned bad ,here!...LOL

If you dont like the proline or dboots another option might be a set of tires/wheels off an HPI Savage

Back