Redcat Blackout XTE Crawler advice.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggman100

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I know there are already many different crawlers available, so I'm not looking for any, i should get this model or that model responses to this. What i am looking for, since i know nothing about crawlers, and, maybe for why i am doing this, crawler may not even be the best term, but i am not sure what else you would call it, but what i am looking to do is seriously slow down a Redcat Blackout XTE as a practice vehicle. The simple reason for it, it is for an inexperienced user, in a very rough area that is best suited for crawlers, just so that she can get a feel for driving RC cars, and, the reason i picked the Blackout, besides the fact that i already have it, is that i can go back to how it is set up now (3S, 80A ESC, 3900KV BL motor), after she learns it and gets familiar with it, but, because i dont see her using it much, i want to keep this as bare bones cheap as possible, so, i am looking at cheap brushed combo's on Ebay, but, there are a host of them, and where i really get lost is the 12-19T motors that are listed as crawler motors. I always was under the impression that crawlers were typically 27T and up, so, are there actually lower turn crawler motors, or are they just misprint's? Next is gearing. I'm pretty much stuck with a 55T 32P spur, since i modded the Blackout to run that spur with a slipper, so, what would be a good range of gears to run with, say for example, a 27T motor and the 55T spur, or a 35T motor with the same spur?

Have you considered using your current brushless motor/esc combo with a 2S LiPo battery along with turning the top speed down? Then you can turn up the speed as the inexperienced driver improves.

Have you considered using your current brushless motor/esc combo with a 2S LiPo battery along with turning the top speed down? Then you can turn up the speed as the inexperienced driver improves.
I dont have any way of lowering the speed on it, since all the radios i have, except one, are basic cheap RTR Redcat stuff. Even on 2S, it is still extremely fast, but, i decided to go another route, since she has a Force RC Outbreak, so, I'm just going to drop in either a 19 or 21T motor in that, and let her beat on it until it either breaks, or she wants it faster. The only reason I'm changing the motor in it is because that truck is extremely limited as to what you can do with it parts wise. The motor plate it has, for example, wont let you run anything smaller than a 13T pinion, and even with a 13T pinion on a Redcat 550 motor i have, that i have no specs on, its still a bit too fast, and brushed motors are cheap.

Check the ESC settings. Most of them let you program it to different top speed settings like 50%, 60%, 70%, 80% and 90%.

Check the ESC settings. Most of them let you program it to different top speed settings like 50%, 60%, 70%, 80% and 90%.
The ESC on the Blackout, the program card never seemed to work on it right, and neither did using the set button (its a cheap GoolRC combo i picked up on ebay), and her Outbreak is brushed, with the cheap ESC that came in it from Horizon, and i can't find program instructions or a program card for it anywhere.

The ESC on the Blackout, the program card never seemed to work on it right, and neither did using the set button (its a cheap GoolRC combo i picked up on ebay), and her Outbreak is brushed, with the cheap ESC that came in it from Horizon, and i can't find program instructions or a program card for it anywhere.
A brushed ESC usually isn't programmable other than switching from NiMH to LiPo battery mode.

Back