Red Cat Gen 8 with radio issues

• Thread starter Rock Crawler Rookie
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rock Crawler Rookie

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I just bought a Red Cat Gen 8 Scout II and it ran perfectly the first two times I used it. Then I went and started installing lights. Now I can’t get the darn thing to go. I can steer but no acceleration. To trouble shoot I swapped the channels and when hooked to the steering channel I can accelerate but no steering on the throttle channel. I even tried installing a new receiver thin ink I had a bad channel and same results. Can someone help me.

unhook lights.. they are using to much of the esc bec to allow esc to run hookup lights on a separate battery.or you install a ubec that will handle the load your putting the esc under. you will have to pull center wire on esc rx plug heatshrink it and slide little lock on rx plug to slide it out.id get a 15 amp ubec

Thanks for the advice, the first thing I did when I realized I didn’t have throttle is remove the lights. But it still will not operate. The esc is quick flashing red and according to the manual, it means the trim needs adjustment, but that doesn’t help, and I made sure I had a fully charged battery installed. I filed a warranty form with red cat, to get the esc replaced. Thanks for your response.

how nice a company that will warranty a item when a user blows the onboard bec on a esc..(sorry man Had to add that )i used abused and learned..Lol just messing trial and error is the way to learn... had esc that where New make it around a track 50'x50' let the magic smoke out .sizzle n pop a lrp Q2 on a 21turn trinity with a 300mah 30c lipo the lipos where way off they were like 100c in todays …you can always add a stand alone ubec to power them then take white wire or frequency wire and plug into radio rx

I have the same problem
I just bought a Red Cat Gen 8 Scout II and it ran perfectly the first two times I used it. Then I went and started installing lights. Now I can’t get the darn thing to go. I can steer but no acceleration. To trouble shoot I swapped the channels and when hooked to the steering channel I can accelerate but no steering on the throttle channel. I even tried installing a new receiver thin ink I had a bad channel and same results. Can someone help me.
After installing lights my steering isn’t working and throttle is stuck on full not sure what to do now i might change everything esc transmitter and receiver all I wanted is my lights to go back on
I know my way around my rc everything is done correctly but it is now giving me problems
17044BEA-A2DB-4270-BAB2-AD3939B7400F.jpeg

Attachments

• 373D6E7C-ECCF-4A7F-95E1-33F7D859C99C.jpeg
    373D6E7C-ECCF-4A7F-95E1-33F7D859C99C.jpeg
    741.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
It sounds like the lights are drawing more power than the bec can handle. Does everything work if you disconnect the lights again?

It sounds like the lights are drawing more power than the bec can handle. Does everything work if you disconnect the lights again?
Nothing works there’s no power to the Light kit it’s running the original wire harness no extra wires just the ones that came with the crawler

Hmmmm, try disconnecting things one at a time, servo, etc. if that doesn't get any kind of response you may have toasted the esc.

Hmmmm, try disconnecting things one at a time, servo, etc. if that doesn't get any kind of response you may have toasted the esc.
The esc is blinking it’s seems to be working? But no response to the controls
If that’s the problem should I go brushless and what system should I use I wanna go brushless and different shocks

Last edited:
buy a big enough ubec.. that can handle all you have added,, then disconnect center esc to rx wire. and install ubec. easy fix, going brushless will not fix issue,

Well I wanna go brushless cause the stock system isn’t really good for slow crawling my other crawler friends don’t wanna let me see there brushless setup but I will try not going brushless and fix the problems I got now

Well I wanna go brushless cause the stock system isn’t really good for slow crawling my other crawler friends don’t wanna let me see there brushless setup but I will try not going brushless and fix the problems I got now

If you are thinking about replacing the system you might look into something like this.

Update I found the problem I think it seems to be working better than before I switched all the battery’s and. Unplugged everything and plugged it all back and it works I guess but the lights are not working

Back