recommendations on holding/mounting tuned pipe securely without original mounting hardware?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelicanprentice

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
hello on my savage x i recently got a hpi aluminum tuned pipe from the the lHS but they didnt have the mounting parts, so i only got the pipe and coupler. i was wondering if anyone had a good idea how to keep it secure so it doesn't put strss on the coupler etc etc

i was thinking to just get some metal zip ties and tie it in 1-2 places and mybe find some metal wire that is flexible and wrap it around a few times, I'm not very creative so looking for some better ideas if possible

thanks!

I've used a coat hanger bent to shape for a hanger on some of my other rigs, or thinner music wire. i don't have a savage so dont really know how they mount to the chassis, but usually ill bend the end in a loop around a 3mm screw and start from there.
hope that might give ideas or help, if not I'm sure someone with some hands on experience with that model will chime in to help.

Metal coat hanger for a hanger. Gonna have to store that in my bag of tricks. I bet that would work really good.!

a coat hanger will be to flimsy/ Id go with the piano wire . a simple propane torch will allow you to bend it correctly.even a turbo lighter will work.. I've built roll cages for 1/8 scale outa it .also brazes well...

a coat hanger will be to flimsy/ Id go with the piano wire . a simple propane torch will allow you to bend it correctly.even a turbo lighter will work.. I've built roll cages for 1/8 scale outa it .also brazes well...
haven't had any problems on the ones i have used it on, so maybe just lucky then. could always heat treat and harden it if you were worried about it possibly bending/flopping around.

As short as the coat hanger would be I would think it would be plenty sturdy enough.

On a savage, I didn't have great luck using just a wire as the pipe just hangs there in the open without resting on anything. In a short time, the wire tends to break.

I would add a second hanger/loop to hold the center of the pipe as well. This seemed to help both the spring/wire at the end and helped the exhaust gasket to not get so chewed up so fast:
2009-1223-SavagePipeHanger.jpg

This is the HPI spring hanger for alloy pipes:
https://webstore.eliminator-rc.com/hpi-savage-xl-aluminum-pipe-hanger-retainer-set

Back