really, really happy to be a solo flier...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edfrombama

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Good morning to all-
So since I've been doing the rc plane thing, I've been flying alone in a 20 acre or so open field near me. I can walk to this flying field, and I do so perhaps three or four times a day to put up my little microwarbirds. I've been looking at rc flying locations in my area and there are a few. However, the rules and limitations which these fields operate under leave me cold. I don't think I'd like flying around other folks. I fear I would be distracted by other rc planes in the vicinity and lose sight of my own plane.
So I am very grateful I have a big flying field all to my self- I'm not antisocial, but I know my own limitations.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

I would probably be the same way. My dad used to fly at a field with sometimes 10 or 12 other people there flying. Sometimes there would be 4 or 5 planes at a time in the air, and I always expected a collision, but they all stayed away from each other for the most part.

Do you have pics of your planes? I have been thinking of finding something small and slow to learn on. We don't have that big of an area to fly anyway.

Good morning to all-
WickedFog- I will try to attach a photo of some of my little rc planes. i can recommend these little less than $100 a pop planes- you don't hurt quite so bad when one crashes or is lost. Not happy, but it's not such a blow to the bank account. these little planes don't fly so very well in wind- the higher the wind, the less performance these little birds can produce. But they are fun
I took my p-51 and my Me 109 out early-early this morning, and the wind was flat, so I had a lot of fun. Got good scale take offs and flights- getting better on my aerobatics, and brought them both in for good hard surface landings on the road by the flying field. A lovely morning.
And I have a T-28 plane coming in the mail right now- addicitve this rc stuff is, I find.

planes 2.JPG

Very cool. We have had winds gusting here for like the last couple weeks. It's cold, raining, and just completely miserable outside. So enjoy it while you can. I am so ready for this winter to be gone 🤬😖

Good morning to all-
WickedFog- Well, down here where I live, winter is gone- at least I hope so. I've got gardens planted, peas and potatoes are up and green beans are starting to emerge. tomatoes will be blooming in a week or so- winter had best be gone!
Our mornings tend to be flat and calm- great for flying and fishing, and then the wind fills in and blows hard from about noon on to dark- good weather for napping.
I just went back down to the flying field and put up my spitfire and my zero. Good flying- pretty fair to middlin' landings. Landing these little microbirds can be a difficult thing if there's much wind at all.

AhHa, the T-28 Trojan. One of my favorites. Is your micro coming with tricycle landing gear or as a tail dragger?

T-28 below from a Houston air show back 2016. Good luck. 'AC'

004 (2) (800x600).jpg

I agree 100%, flying at a sanctioned field comes with too many stipulations, and a lot of folks that make me feel uncomfortable in their lack of common sense. I have one or two people I fly with. Don't have to put up with the snobbery that usually happens when you get too many guys with too much money in one location. I trust the guys I fly with 100%,
Good morning to all-
So since I've been doing the rc plane thing, I've been flying alone in a 20 acre or so open field near me. I can walk to this flying field, and I do so perhaps three or four times a day to put up my little microwarbirds. I've been looking at rc flying locations in my area and there are a few. However, the rules and limitations which these fields operate under leave me cold. I don't think I'd like flying around other folks. I fear I would be distracted by other rc planes in the vicinity and lose sight of my own plane.
So I am very grateful I have a big flying field all to my self- I'm not antisocial, but I know my own limitations.

AhHa, the T-28 Trojan. One of my favorites. Is your micro coming with tricycle landing gear or as a tail dragger?

T-28 below from a Houston air show back 2016. Good luck. 'AC'

View attachment 161959
Good morning to all-
The T-28 I have coming is a tri landing gear. I have found this landing gear much easier to bring down for a smooth hard surface landing- some of those tail draggers get really squirrely when they're close to the ground. I'll let you all know how it does when it arrives

Good afternoon to all-
My little T-28 arrived- did the very quick and easy set up and walked it down to the flying field. Took off from the pavement just fine, flew well, did easy loops and rolls- nice plane. Brought it in for a landing, but a gust of wind came up- it has been really windy here the last couple of days- and I hit an overhead powerline- no damage to the plane, but lost the prop.
I'll promise you, when one of those litttle black plastic props gets knocked off, that's a lost prop- it disappears in the grass and weeds.
So I walked back home, got one of the replacement props that come with the little planes, and before I put it back on the plane, I painted some prop tips and prop hub with bright day-glo red spray enamel- maybe make it easier to find to thrown prop- we'll see.
anyway, another nice little plane to play with.

Good idea adding the paint! On my drones and tiny whoops, I can't tell you how many props I lost. I never could understand why the ones I had came with clear props.

i love your collection of micro plane. do u prefer micro over large-scale flying? for me, i prefer larger planes cause I have horrible eyesight and would most definitely lose track of my plane.
good luck with your next flight

- a fellow flyer

i love your collection of micro plane. do u prefer micro over large-scale flying? for me, i prefer larger planes cause I have horrible eyesight and would most definitely lose track of my plane.
good luck with your next flight

- a fellow flyer
Good evening to all-

offroadguy- I fly the little micro warbirds because, not to put too fine a point on it, that's what I can afford. Bigger planes are attractive to me, but I just can't spring for the prices of most of the bigger planes. I do have a larger rc plane ordered and I am looking forward to flying it when it arrives- I'll let you all know how it goes.