RC Snow shovel (starter issue)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommySr

RC Newbie
Reaction score

Even with 10 12v car batteries I need to run a small engine turning a alternator to supply
enough energy to play in the snow for a few hours.

I found a small briggs engine (6hp) that seemed perfect for the job, it had a 12vdc starter motor
, set operating speed (3200rpm) , .5Amp alternator, and automatic choke that made interfacing it
to my RC controller very straight forward(for remote start/stop).

But.. the starter motor failed after just 20 starts. I was not all that shocked when I seen the starter
motor they use, very small gearmotor, something I would use on a printer(not a 6hp gas engine)
I was shocked when I seen the replacement cost $150.00usd(crap!).

it went down hill from there...

I got a new replacement starter motor that is even smaller then the one that came with it, and
this new one can't even spin the engine.

IMG_2241.JPG

Because it's winter I was hoping $150.00(new starter motor) would make the problem go way..
but it looks like I have no options but to install a bigger starter motor.

IMG_2201.JPG

ground_zero298, it's very easy to operate by cameras.

IMG_2212.JPG
IMG_2175.JPG

and can lift 500lb.

Last edited:
Sweet project. I know some Briggs engines have a compression release to make starting easier. Not sure about the 6 HP. Saw a video recently from YouTube channel “Ellis Mowers” where he was working on a compression release on a Briggs engine. Just a thought.

have a compression release​

watertrucker, I believe the main issue is the alternator/v-belt pully is adding more load then the
small gearmotor they use can deal with.

the motor on the left is 20yrs old and still works.

IMG_2203.JPG

Last edited:
Would be great if you could program a race track into it and it went out and built it for you
WickedFog, for off-roading it needs to be in a 4-wheel drive mode.

IMG_0023.JPG