RC Drift angle

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedyBooty

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
What is the minimum amount of angle that could make my drifts sucessful?, and would i need a gyro or not

Practice, slick tires and a smooth slick surface to drift on are my suggestions.
But if you are referring to camber and toe in a wheel and tire, then you might want to read this.
I would think a gyro would hinder you and not help but look it up. Maybe it will help you as I do not use it in my car.

Last edited:
Practice, slick tires and a smooth slick surface to drift on are my suggestions.
But if you are referring to camber and toe in a wheel and tire, then you might want to read this.
I would think a gyro would hinder you and not help but look it up. Maybe it will help you as I do not use it in my car.
View attachment 174230
Its a rwd conversion for a 4wd drift car, does that make a difference?

It could. depending on how you did your conversion. Someone else with more experience than I will have to chime in on the details on that one.
I use a 4WD and have tried it in 2WD and like the 4WD better. There was a huge difference in the two.
Everything makes a difference with drifting as you are trying to control a car that is inherently out of control.

It could. depending on how you did your conversion. Someone else with more experience than I will have to chime in on the details on that one.
I use a 4WD and have tried it in 2WD and like the 4WD better. There was a huge difference in the two.
Everything makes a difference with drifting as you are trying to control a car that is inherently out of control.
All i really did was remove drive shaft, and 2 front dogbones and modified the c hubs

I'm no drift pro but I have read online that its better to buy a 2wd drift car as opposed to converting a 4wd model to 2wd because it will not perform quite the same. How much different it is I can't say as I've never done a conversion like that before. Just something I've read and if you're on a tight budget and dont have the money for a new kit then why not? :)

As for gyros and drifting I found this online which pretty much mimics my personal thoughts on it. I dont like any sort of driver assist options, either in my RCs or in my 1:1s.

"The use of gyros in RC drift cars is a subject of debate among enthusiasts, and opinions can vary widely. Generally, the consensus is more inclined towards considering gyros a beneficial addition, especially for beginners and those seeking more control during drift maneuvers. Here are the perspectives:
Pros of using a gyro in an RC drift car:
  1. Enhanced Stability: Gyros help in maintaining stability during drifts, especially for less experienced drivers, by assisting in keeping the car straight and preventing spinouts.
  2. Control Assistance: They aid in keeping the car's direction consistent and help in recovering from oversteer, which is common in drifting.
  3. Improved Learning Curve: For beginners, gyros can make it easier to learn and enjoy drifting as they assist in maintaining control and preventing excessive spins or crashes.
  4. Tuning Flexibility: Gyros often come with adjustable settings, allowing users to fine-tune their drift car's behavior to suit their preferences.
Cons or differing opinions on using gyros:
  1. Reduced Skill Development: Some purist enthusiasts argue that relying on gyros might hinder the development of driving skills needed for manual drift control.
  2. Dependency: Over-reliance on gyros might limit one's ability to learn and master the subtle techniques required for manual drift control.
  3. Preference for Challenge: Enthusiasts who enjoy the challenge of mastering manual drifting without assistance might see gyros as detracting from the skill and finesse required in the sport.
Ultimately, the use of gyros in RC drift cars largely depends on individual preferences, skill levels, and the intended purpose of the RC car. For beginners or those looking for more stability and assistance in controlling the car during drifts, gyros can be a helpful tool. However, for experienced drivers who prefer the challenge of mastering manual control, gyros might detract from the authenticity of the drifting experience."

Not being much of a drifter, I have little input here, but I have driven small scale drift cars around my kitchen/dining room which has a slick linoleum floor. What I found was it isn't that hard to drift if the conditions are right. It took a bit of feathering the throttle just to get the car to build up speed, but once it was going it was fairly easy to control it through a drift. I don't see where I would want to use a gyro on larger scales, since they would be even easier to control.