Rc charger question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lion1

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Hi, I feel like I should know the answer to this question but I have never thought to ask or research this. Do rc chargers charge to the voltage that you tell them and pump miliamps into the battery until it reaches the amount that you specified it to charge the battery to or does it stop charging the battery when it reaches the miliamp count that you told it to reach. I have a duratrax onyx 255.
thanks!

Hi, I feel like I should know the answer to this question but I have never thought to ask or research this. Do rc chargers charge to the voltage that you tell them and pump miliamps into the battery until it reaches the amount that you specified it to charge the battery to or does it stop charging the battery when it reaches the miliamp count that you told it to reach. I have a duratrax onyx 255.
thanks!
So, the charger charges it to the voltage you choose, then puts as much mAH as possible without overcharging it.

So, the charger charges it to the voltage you choose, then puts as much mAH as possible without overcharging it.
So let’s say I don’t the miliamps of a battery but I know it is a 3 cell battery. The charger will charge it to 11.1 volts and put as many miliamps into it as possible? Same with other batteries?

So let’s say I don’t the miliamps of a battery but I know it is a 3 cell battery. The charger will charge it to 11.1 volts and put as many miliamps into it as possible? Same with other batteries?
It will charge it to 4.2v per cell so 12.6v, 11.1v is just the nominal voltage which is 3.7v per cell. It will charge it fully. It will do the same with other batteries.

Edit: I highly recommend that you watch tons of LiPo safety and charging videos as it’s super similar to LiIon batteries.

I have lots of experience with lipo batteries as I have been in the rc car hobby for years now. I am getting into the fpv drone hobby and the transmitter that I am going to buy uses 18650 batteries that I am not familiar with.

I have lots of experience with lipo batteries as I have been in the rc car hobby for years now. I am getting into the fpv drone hobby and the transmitter that I am going to buy uses 18650 batteries that I am not familiar with.
LiIon batteries are pretty similar to LiPo.