Rampage xt motor spark

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osuui

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Flying
  5. Boating
Hi I’m hoping I can get answers here from experts. My redcat monster xt has been having spark plug problems it won’t spark simply it turned on without problems a week ago now it’s not. The battery is charged every servo is moving. Its getting fuel to. It’s just the motor the top spark ain’t getting energy why? Thank you

image.jpg

image.jpg

Have you tried a fresh plug?
If so, it sounds like it's time to replace the coil.

I’m currently trying to start it and the pull start is loose i have a Baja and it starts up no problem and the pull is strong does it maybe need a new pull start?

does the engine turning over when you use the pull start? as tunedpipe said have you tried a new spark plus if so then youll probably need a new coil. I dont understand what you mean by loose. do you mean low compression ? i dont know about those 2 strokes but other 4 and 2 stroke engines have a flywheel/magneto combo that you may aswell check if you remove your pull start

I don’t know if that’s the word for it I’m guessing it is but the pull start feels weak like it isn’t trying? I will see about the spark plug I just don’t get how it stops working after a week of turning it on without issues I didn’t move anything during that time

If you have been tuning it with the needles on the carb than the very first thing I would do is replace the plug.
Tuning by adjusting carb needles can foul the plug.
Is the engine turning over when you pull on the rope? If it does then you should get spark.
I would also make sure the kill switch isn't sticking.
Pull the plug and check it. If it's wet, then chances are it's probably fouled and the carb is too rich.

Last edited:
Tunedpipe has a good point. Once you remove the sparkplug you can use a chart like this one below to check the heat that it was running at. A Lean tune should run hotter. Check your manual it might help you troubleshoot. I also dont own a 1/5 gas so my experience is very limited

NGK-2013-Complete-NC_Page_207_1.jpg

EDIT: As @coldvod mentioned, I'm also confused as to what you meant about the pull start feeling weak.
When the engine was running, did it just die or did you kill it with the kill switch?
A 2 cycle engine can vibrate pretty aggressively so make sure the spark plug is tight and you aren't losing compression.

@cbaker65 is pretty sharp with stuff like this and I'm sure will chime in when is see's the thread.

Sounds to me like hes saying the pull start has very little resistance when pulling on it and therefore its not turning over the engine. If thats the case then I would take the pullstart apart first and inspect it for damage and make sure its turning the engine over. Then Id move on to the spark plug etc. That is if I'm understanding what hes saying correctly

One thing you can try to see if the plug is actually sparking. Remove the plug, re-connect to the spark plug wire, lay it down on the engine somewhere that is metal but where you can see the bottom of the plug. Pull the starter cord while watching the plug. You should see a small park. Video below shows what I'm talking about. You can also look down the cylinder head and see if the piston is moving up/down, that'll confirm if the pull start is working or not.