Racing tires for EK4???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chevy-SS

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Anyone got a suggestion for a set of tires to put on a Thunder Tiger EK4 (with the .70 engine), to race? The rims need to have a good bit of offset and need to be 17mm.

The stock tires are very soft and tall. I would like to replace them with a 40 series tire, maybe 6 inch tall. I think this would be a much better tire as the race track is very technical and also has lots of jumps.

I dont know of any "race treds" for the ek4 but the handeling could be made better with Ofnea monster pirate rims with Imex "wide" tires. I saw where Msg makes alm rims the fit old size t-maxx tires with this u could use step pins, losi zombie maxx or proline fuzzies

Thanks for the tips nitro. I was actually thinking of trying to race the EK4, but have decided against it. I think it is too top-heavy, plus the wheelbase cannot be lengthened, and you need a long wheelbase at the track as it has lots of jumps. I am going to stick with my extended-chassis race Maxx for now.

Everyone loves to see those EK4's blast around though. That huge engine gets some attention. I put the MSJ 2-speed in mine and it absolutely flies.

Well, it was worth it to me. It gave the truck faster acceleration and a higher top speed. This truck is close to 60mph, with the stock engine. In order to do that with any other truck, you gotta spend some serious money. Plus, I have had a runaway situation and this thing hit a fence at 40+ mph, with no damage other than two broken wheels. The chassis and arms held up. It was impressive. It's a fun basher, but not a good racer, IMHO.

I raced my old EK4 using dominator rims and Maxx Mulcher tires. It was fun, however, wheelies were even worse with the smaller tires, and my 18T clutchbell was too shiny inside to grab and I had no sandpaper, so in went the 14T. When on straitaways, it handled great, being it is the same as the TTR EB4S2 buggy. However, coming out of turns even a blip of throttle and the front end is in the air. Over jumps, no matter what you do with the throttle/brake, she is going head over heels. The weight of the engine makes the rear land first and then spring up and over. The plus side was everyone cheered on the straightaway when the front end was in the air.

hehe, yea, I can understand all the wheelie stuff. I wonder how the EK4 would work with a smaller engine, say a .21? As you say, it is a buggy chassis. It is similar to the Storm SUT in that respect. If I had the patience, I would experiment, but I am discouraged after spending tons of time and money trying to get a T-Maxx into racing condition.

I am simply gonna go out and buy a new Monster GT, or perhaps the SUT. These things are set up to race without breaking, right out of the box.

i was told by a guy that had a ek4 that it is the same as a monster pirate but with the 70. engine and more shocks

mulchers bowties or paqmans are good in the track..

The EK4 is a MONSTER... I'm jealous... I wanted to buy one of those in the worst way when I first saw it... The tuning of the .70 mill kinda turned me off along with the old diff problems.. Have they fixed most of the problems with the newer S2's ?

I love this video... Pure power...

Right Click & Save As
EK4 Abuse.. :OMG:

I got two EK4's. They are fun bashers. I took one to the track a few weeks ago. I ran it in the parking lot and people's jaws dropped when they saw the speed (and acceleration) this thing makes with the 2-speed tranny. First AND second gear wheelies, that big .70 really pumps out the torque!

Tuning the .70 is no big deal at all. People get screwed up with the 3-needle carb, but the mid-range is simply set to flush and then forget it. After that, simply tune like regular. A big plus is the ringed engine, which is very forgiving as far as durability goes.

I have only broken one diff gear so far and I have smashed and bashed the crap out of my 2-speed EK4. Both EK4's sit on the shelf now as I am mostly racing the Hyper7 or Monster GT.

I'd be willing to buy one too. PM me if you want to sell one!

Back