Racin' or Winter Wrenchin'

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Are you Racing or Wrenching?

• Racing

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Winter Wrenching

Votes: 19 76.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfreak

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
What are you guys up to?

Can you race this time of the year? Or do you have your buggy in pieces -- replacing, fixing and getting everything preped for the spring?

Personally, I like to really drag out my winter wrenching. If I did everything in November, the buggy would just sit too long on the shelf. To keep the hobby alive to me, I’ll work on it maybe an hour or so every couple of days and even then I may just tinker and not get a whole lot of anything done. Through the course of the off season months, I will have taken everything apart and replaced anything that may have worn. This winter I got a new kit for myself and passed my old one off to my son. He’s really not experienced enough to do it all on his own so really I have to build/rebuild two buggies. I make him do it though. I’m not his “Pit Pop”. I just show him how to do thing and then double-check his work (make sure all his screws are tight too).

Anyway, share your exploits. Where are you racing, how often, how well are you placing? OR What are you doing hobby-wise while the tracks are closed?

well, I'm an onroad (electric and nitro) guy but there are quite a few offroaders that go the indoor dirt electric route here in NY.

I personally do not race so I am wrenching and bashing. I am still able to run my cars every so often when time and weather allow. I am currently working on getting my new savage roller up and running. My PCR Pro is going under the gun to get operated. I need to clean her up and sell it soon. MBX5 is almost near done to run.

I am going to start racing my 1/8th scale down south, just need to get registered. I may start up on racin nitro on road but I may not have enough to race both as the classes are raced at two different tracks about 1 hour away from each other. I will be in the Novice class for now.

No racing for now, still about 2 feet of snow on the ground. It is warming up though, so the snow should go away. So the answer to your question is...wrenching.

I don't race either but I run at the track every other mon/wed practice nights....I just started really going to the races more just to lend a hand and help friends in the pit.....I'm not really into the competition I just like haveing a place to go and relax every so often......but I must admit RC is replacing a lot of my other interests lately....I might just have to sign up and race one day......sat I busted my Front shock tower and steering knuckle on my buggy.....I'm off to order replacement parts right now during my lunch hour.......

jon2 said:
just need to get registered

what's that about? We just show up on race day, pay & sign up.

bigfreak said:
what's that about? We just show up on race day, pay & sign up.
I think I meant to say qualify and make sure my ride is race legal. I am new so I want to be correct.

i race I'm geting my stuff ready now everyday i do something diff can't wait for the snow to go lol the snow here is 6 inches i can see my tracks now curtis

jon2, that's cool. Most club races are pretty laid back. Some places will want you to run what's considered race legal, but they won't come inspecting and telling people to go home. Unless you're racing at a ROAR event or something, the whole "legal" thing isn't a big deal. After all it's driving skills that win races, not the equipment.

EDIT: anyone got pics?

Last edited:
we rarely have time to do winter wrencching around here considering that we get about 2 weeksof actual COLD weather down here. so we get to race year round if the rain ever lets up enough to run

Up here in the NE its too cold / wet / snowy to run R/Cs, so I'm doing the winter wrenching thing.
I started off a few months ago with a teardown and cleaning of my Savage, ordered a few parts around Christmas, and it is almost ready except to glue the tires and paint the new body, probably will order a new pipe.
I just ordered an HB Lightning 2 Pro from RushRC that will be worked on next to get race ready. Diff oils, shocks, etc.
Normally I get the winter blues and shelve the R/C s for half the year when it gets cold and I don't get the itch again until spring, ahh spring. The smell of spring reminds me of burning nitro. Anyway, for some reason this year I have remained active on the forums and kept wrenching here and there on my stuff and actually found some cash to do some wanted upgrades and a kit purchase. I'll be ready when spring hits this year. :D

well i kinda wrench and bash, just the wther day it was really nice out and i fired up the buggy. I'm getting a kit to keep me bussy though so i wolnt get tired of the buggy but knowing me ill work non stop on thet thing adn have it together in one full day. I love wrenching more than bashing/racing i wish i had something to wrench on 247 lol but yeah thats my story and I'm stick in to it. lol a little country in there for those who listen to country, i prolly sound really gay. i voted wrenching even though i dont have much to wrench on.lol

currently i am wrenching on putting my mp777 special 1 together!! its taking me forever, becuz i dont have any $$$$$

I voted Winter Wrenching, but truthfully, I have'nt had a spare moment to even pull my R/C's off the shelves.. lol Work has been taking it's toll, & I'm trying to finish up some major home remodeling projects on the "Honey doo" list... I'm really hoping to get back to my hobby real soon... Unfortunately, it hasn't stopped me from buying all sorts of unneeded upgrades for my project Savage... lol

i built my new buggy and wrench mayb run the truck int he snow just to get the smell of nitro lol. but racingseason starts soon so I'm ready, bigfreak u gonna og to the hut this year? or any pro series events?

You'll probably see us at hobby hut. I can't drive worth crap so the Pro Series would be a waste. Maybe someday I'll be taking my son down there. You never know.

bigfreak when does Hobby Hut start racing again.They will not answer my email about when the racing is.

prolly end of april, i think thats when theystarted last year not sure

man boredome and no nitro dont mix well, the savage got hit by the knife lol

bodys008.jpg