Question about Jeep Wrangler

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KoRnKiD

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
For people who have or had a Jeep wrangler what did you have. hardtop/softtop. Which did u like the most? Iam thinking about getting a Jeep for my first car. But i dont know what to get I wanna get a softtop because if i had it down and it started to rain (which it does alot in Oregon) i could put it up easiely. But I want a hard top because it is a lot better in rainy conditions like dosent leak. There is so many up's and down's to getting a hard top or a soft top.

If any one could help me decide it would help.

another question it dosent matter its just kinda a stupid question is. Do you like full metal doors with rool up windows or half doors with the zip plastic windows?

The biggest down for soft tops is vandalisim. My cousin had one and a disgruntled girlfriend slashed it, the insurance wouldn't cover it.I would say the hardtop, but if you go soft, check with your insurance to see what they cover.

Jeeps are cool looking and can be a lot of fun. If you have your heart set on one get the soft top so you enjoy the freedom of the wind.

The Jeep is one of the most un-safe autos on the market and have caused the death of many young drivers.

They are un-comfortable if you plan on doing any traveling. Cold in the winter. Loud while driving and dont put you RC in it and hope its still there after going into 7-11.

Insurance will be a killer as well. Compare it with other autos you are interested in.

After that is all said and done, They are fun to rent for a day. Just ask WoodiE. He likes to sit in the back seat and take pics of all the pretty girls.

I have a 90 Wrangler. Maxximillion pointed out the biggest downfall of a Jeep. I love mine and have had it over 10 years and never plan on selling it, but I did have my stereo stolen, but I know alot of people with cars that have too. If you get the soft top, NEVER lock it! if someone wants to rob your Jeep they will cut the windows or top if it is locked, if its not locked they will just open the door. Don't leave anything of value in it. I would not want a hardtop, it defeates the purpose of a Jeep. I like to take everything off, the tops, the doors and head up in the mountains. A Jeep is so versatile, and you can personalize them easily. As far as waterproof the full soft top is quite waterproof. The tops I have on in the pic are not waterproof at all. There are as many companies making aftermarket parts for Jeeps as companies making T-Maxx hop ups. Heres mine........

381163Jeep480.jpg

Last edited:
Originally posted by NCNitro
I have a 90 Wrangler. Maxximillion pointed out the biggest downfall of a Jeep. I love mine and have had it over 10 years and never plan on selling it, but I did have my stereo stolen, but I know alot of people with cars that have too. If you get the soft top, NEVER lock it! if someone wants to rob your Jeep they will cut the windows or top if it is locked, if its not locked they will just open the door. Don't leave anything of value in it. I would not want a hardtop, it defeates the purpose of a Jeep. I like to take everything off, the tops, the doors and head up in the mountains. A Jeep is so versatile, and you can personalize them easily. As far as waterproof the full soft top is quite waterproof. The tops I have on in the pic are not waterproof at all. There are as many companies making aftermarket parts for Jeeps as companies making T-Maxx hop ups. Heres mine........

381163Jeep480.jpg
I too agree with NC Nitro about the keeping it unlocked, it's really better for them to take your hula girl on the dashboard by opening the door rather than by slashing the windows or the canvas. Having the soft top and getting into a rain storm in not too bad either. Since you are in Oregon and it does do some raining there you'll only waste a few minutes putting the top back on, especially the tj jeeps where they have made putting the top on easier. Also if your heart is set on buying one JC Whitney sells lockable storage units for the trunk and wheel well areas so thay you can lock something small up but not big enough for your RC.

We kinda have somthing going between me and him.. whoever gets thier car first

him or me we will find the deepest muddiest place around and have TONS of fun... We do differ in Our Car preferences
He wants the jeep I want an F-350 with a 6in lift and some swampers... Oh yea I'm sure thay will both have winches... you do get stuck every so often :doh:

Thats what I meant... Once in a while = at least once every 1/2-1 mile

I too was looking at buying a Jeep Wrangler, before I got my Jeep Cherokee and as already stated they have their pluses and minus's.

If I was too get one I would get one with the Hard Top. For a few reasons - It will be a little warmer in the winter with a hard top then a softtop, and in the summer most people dont run with a top on, though I would recommend getting a bikini top for it. If you dont know what that is its a half soft top if you will...look at the picture that NCNitro posted, that would be considered a bikini top. Those are nice in the summer to keep the sun from being directly on top of you, and give you a lil protection if it starts to rain.

As pointed out and I recommend this to ANY one with ANY type of "soft top" do NOT lock your doors. I know of people that put nice sound systems in their jeeps and lock their doors, only to have to replace the radio AND the top. Those tops are anything but cheap. Save yourself a few hundred dollars and dont lock the doors. This even goes for cars with "soft tops" I've seen a lot of roofs slashed because someone wanted their radio more then the owner did. Save your money!

As Eddy pointed out - Jeeps are not the "safest" car on the road by any means. Turn just right and you'll be asking someone to help you flip the jeep back on its wheels. Drive like you have some sense and they are a blast. Are they loud? well I guess that all depends on what you do to them...my friend put a 302 with glass packs and yes...it sounded sweet as hell, but not eveyone puts a 302 in their's. Stick to the straight 6 (4.0L) and you'll have a blast and they're not nearly as loud, unless you put some sort of tuned exhaust on it.

I dont know if i totally agree with eddy about how "un-comfortable" they are, because as I already stated. I own a jeep cherokee, my cherokee has bucket seats in the front - the seats in there are also ones used in Jeep wranglers. I have been on 2-3hr drives and didnt think it was to bad, but keep in mind Eddy drives around in a Mercedes and i'm just a poor white boy. :D

One last cool thing - as NCNitro also pointed out...you can customize a jeep to no end, there are endless amount of companies that make aftermarket stuff for Jeeps, more so for the Wranglers then the cherokee's. Just look inside a book store, there are magazines after magazines that are just about jeeps.

And yes, jeeps are a BLAST - drive like you have some sense and you'll be ok, or have someone drive for you so you can sit in the back seat and take pictures of HOT girls driving behind you :D ....Eddy I still have that picture!!!

-WoodiE

Originally posted by Maxxcrazy88
Thats what I meant... Once in a while = at least once every 1/2-1 mile
I remember in 1994 I took a trip right through the Darien Province of Panama (AKA Guerilla Territory) to try to drive to Colombia. The last 5 miles took me 3 days to negotiate since I was getting stuck every few minutes after I spend an hour digging myself out.

well thanks guys that helps alot i guess ill start leaning to a softtop. I was thinking of getting a bikini tob anyway to take the back seet out then have my rc stuff in there and whatever else. There is a company that makes ALOT of after market safety parts i forgot the name tho but they make almost everything replaceble (i can't spell today) but is insurance high?

As for those locked doors ill get full metal ones.

Thanks again for all of the advise:D

DONT BUY A WRANGLER SQUARE HEADLIGHTS ARE FOR GIRLS!!!!!

I own a 1980 cj7. If your are going to buy a jeep. Get a cj or step up to the plate and buy a used tj. You know the brand new jeeps. Many betters!!!! Quadra coil suspension. Or a cj that will ride a little smoother.(it is a jeep mind you, they r not the softest rideing machines on the road!!)

A soft top doesn't leak if installed right!! I have had 2 of them. And if you get the super top from best top you can order replacement windows. For those anowing branch scratches or the moron who cuts it.

dont forget..... Either they brake the glass window to get into the car or they cut the plastic. Glass $150 and up, plasic $75. And you zip the new one in.

Jeeps are great CHICKS DIG JEEPS!! You can do many things to tham and go any were in them!! If you have any Questions I am willing to answer them!! I have had three of them and done damn near everything under the sun to them. I would post pics on the one now but I dont have a camera!! I an=m getting ready to do a 400 horse small block conversion with a 700r4 trans with a np205 transfer case. Yes a 700r4. $2000.00 says that is a stout and trail ready tranny!!

p.s. steel horse sell a console that bolts to the floor..... if you keep that little paper thingy that the dude behind the counter gives you. And if some one steels your sonsole steel horse will replace it and your radio!! Bitchen console!! go to fourwheelpartswholesaler.com to findthat nice little piece

I hate to start a flame here but why do you think you need all that power in a vehicle that only weighs 3000lbs?

I mean I remember from my CJ-7 to my YJ Wrangler I still used the stock 4 banger in it and had zero problems with them. I mean had I been using the big engine I still would have gotten stuck no matter which engine I had been using. Climbing hills? I mean the only hills that stopped me were gravity induced versus the amount of hp my jeep had been putting out.

Because he is a moron El, so square headlights are for girls huh? I am 6'4" 260 lbs, I drive a Wrangler and I will beat you like a rented mule. The new Jeeps are cars that want to be a Jeep. I call BS on your Jeeps, where are the pics? You have all this money to do these things to your Jeep but you can't afford a camera? Sounds like lies to me. :angry:

LOL! You guys are a trip! All over a Jeep!

Around here only woman drive Jeeps.....

lol i rarely see jeeps on the road around here if i do they have huge tires on them...

damn i guess I've started something. Damn i still can't decide. heck i dont know what car i want execpt a jeep??

If you are a do-it-yourselfer then get a used CJ-5, CJ7 or a 90's Wrangler. If you are not a do-it-yourselfer then get a newer Wrangler.

ya iam not much of a do it my self person when i crashed my maxx Maxxcrazy put most of it together but if i get a jeep wrangler what model should i get a "se,X,sport.sarha or rubicon
iam leaning twords a x or sport i like the X because its cheap and it has better looking wheels than the se. I like the sport because it has full metal doors even if you get a softtop but its kinda expensive. Most likely ill get somithing used. Because my (ok this will sound stupid but) grandma will get me a used car.