question about glow plugs

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jchampion99

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i was just wondering what hotter glowplug does for your engine. like will it make it run cooler or hotter. what will a cooler glow plug to for a engine will it run hotter or cooler. what is a good glow plug to run in a traxxas 2.5r engine. it has the pullstart and igniter to start it thanks for the input

i am running a 3232x plug in it right know. witch is a medium plug. i thought maybe a hotter plug would burn more fuel witch would make it run cooler is why i was asking. i have to run it about 4 1/2 to 5 turns out on the hsn to make it so it will run under 270. do you think i should try a hotter plug in it or a higher nitro % because my settings are richer then stock. i am running 20% nitro with 12% oil in it right know that what they told me to run at the hobbie store

do you know what your temps run at. what % nitro and oil do you run in it. i know its like dirtbikes and the elevation and stuff makes a differnce but what are your carb settings. thanks for the replys guys

I run a 2.5R in my jato and ran a 3.3 in my revo. Both run around 210-250 pretty much all day long. I use byrons 25% fuel and I run hot plugs in both.

Either Odonells or Traxxas fuel for all of my smallblocks and OS#8 plugs. They typically last 1/2 to 3/4 of a gallon with "rich" settings to keep the temps down for me. I have always preferred to run rich and go thru a consumable product like glowplugs than run lean with max power output and cut into the engine life.

well i think i am gonna try 25% nitro and a hotter plug cause i have to run mine about 5 turns out on the hsn to keep it about 250

If you are running that hot then there is most likely some other issue. Check for air leaks and make sure that your lsn is tuned properly.

Lowering the gear ratio might help too.

Last edited:
Traxxas engines tend to run a bit hotter. My 3.3 ran best about 270°. As long as your temps are below 300° and you have a good smoke trail and performance, let 'er rip. I had over 5 gallons of Sidewinder 20% through it when I sold it and it's still running today.

no air leaks already checked for that it was the first thing i checked. i allready have a little bit lower gear ratio. my 2.5r runs best at about 270 to i just know the book said not to run past that. if the lsn is to lean will it make it run hotter i thought the lsn did not have any affect on the higher speeds

If you have a good tune it should not get over 250f. Your lsn should be tuned so after you do a wot pass the idle should go back to a steady idle and not idle up after sitting for a few secs. If it idle up after a few secs Then your lsn is to lean. Do a pinch test after you think you have a good idle after a pass. It should idle up a little then die after 3 or 4 secs

If you have a good tune it should not get over 250f. Your lsn should be tuned so after you do a wot pass the idle should go back to a steady idle and not idle up after sitting for a few secs. If it idle up after a few secs Then your lsn is to lean. Do a pinch test after you think you have a good idle after a pass. It should idle up a little then die after 3 or 4 secs

I like this explanation , clear and insightful. Ill be tuning my first nitro very soon :)

The Traxxas 3232X is a hot plug like the 3232, its not medium but it is meant to be the heavy duty plug, The hot O.S LC3 & medium O.S LC4 will also work well in the traxxas engines, O.S made them to suit.
While a hotter or colder plug won't effect temp, what it will do is change the tuning window & engine power. A hotter plug will make an engine easier to tune but won't make as much power & a cooler plug will be slightly harder to tune right as the tuning window will be smaller, but it will make more power.

This is a great thread for newbies in nitro. ;)