Quad shopping on a low budget

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMaxxin

SLAP YA MAMA
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I didn't want to completely derail Alpines thread so I'll ask here.

I'm considering a Blade QX 200 bnf, I can pick one up with an extra battery and the usb wires to upgrade the firmware for $209 shipped right now. I'm liking this for the simplicity, I looked at the kit Randy suggested but it would turn into a pile of parts before I would finish it. I'm looking for a bnf or pnp setup and I'm not a brand name snob, I have used plenty of what some would consider to be non mainstream brand parts on planes with no problems.

I considered this kit but they suggest not to use a CC3D flight controller for a noob, I'm not a total noob but I'm not super confident either. The same kit with the KK2 set up is out of stock with an unknown date of availability. How hard it this to set up and how stable can it be?

http://www.buddyrc.com/spedix-s250-arf-kit-cc3d-version.html

Any better option in a similar set up?

Pete, any flight controller out there besides the DJI Naza is not going to be exactly noob friendly. BUT, most any quad will fly with the default configuration, at least with CC3D boards, and I assume most others would be the same. However, they will have some odd behavior until they are tuned for that particular frame, motors, props, weight distribution, etc. But if I can do it, I'm confident that most anyone else can do it too. The biggest reason I like the CC3D boards is the fact that you have the support of a huge community at the OP forums to help get you dialed in. Most ARF combos will likely have a baseline setup they can provide you with also to help get you one step closer on tuning. The newest firmware for the CC3D also has a dumbed down tuning menu for noobs if that's what you prefer, or you can dive deeper into the tuning if you wish. If you have the patience to tune those planes you fly, I'm sure you could do it. But, I understand if it's a case of not wanting to mess with it. I owned a Naza, and while it's not terrible, it just never felt right for lack of a better term. That and the fact that I and many others have had random unexplained instances of the Naza going bonkers mid flight is why I switched.

Also, if you zero interest in putting any camera or FPV gear on it, then I would advise a normal X shaped frame setup as they are much easier to tune. I will say that out of all my aircraft, I fly my F450 (X shaped frame) acro quad the most, it's just a ton of fun to fly LOS and throw around doing flips and rolls. And it's a helluva lot cheaper and easier to repair than my helis if something goes wrong. The H and spider designs can be pretty finicky. My Flip FPV frame I had tuned within a half hour with the Naza, but it took me quite a bit longer, a few evenings or so, to get it dialed with the CC3D board. But once I did, I vastly prefer it to the Naza. Any frame design can be rock solid stable, but only once you have it tuned properly. The term you'll often hear is how "locked in" the quad feels, and when you get there with tuning, you'll know it immediately.

For that matter, if it's the build that you don't want to do. I'd be happy to build and tune a kit for you if you wish. I actually think I've come to love building more than running the RC's anymore, as it occupies those evening hours where I tend to be bored the most. I realize that's probably not something you'd take me up on, as it's a lot of trust in someone you've never met, just throwing it out there though. Good luck in whatever you decide to buy.

I love my 180 as you saw in the other thread. If you are ever in the area, give me a shout and out a few packs through it.

Randy thank for the info, I'm going to read up on what it takes to tune them. As for you building it I would trust you 1000x more than the rtf builders so that's not an issue, I have become very impatient lately and wouldn't want to wait for it but thanks for offering.

I've never really looked into custom built quads, I had no idea you would use a pc to tune them.....complete noob lol

I'm probably going to buy a bnf so I can get going right away. If I have something to fly I might have the patience to build that kit, after the little reading I have done I really want one now.....I'm telling my wife it's Randy's fault lol

Last edited:
Thanks for props Pete. Any flight controllers I've dealt with all use a PC to tune. I know with some FCs, you can get a bluetooth dongle and use a tablet or laptop at the field. I personally use my old Futaba that has rotary dials, and use the TXpid function mapping it to one axis at a time. Tune that axis, come inside and write the final tuning number to the board with the PC, then move on to the next axis and repeat, it's the fastest way I've found to tune a FC. I can't speak for all FCs, but the OP boards have a fantastic set of tutorials to help you understand what each part of the tuning software accomplishes. If you decide to build a custom quad, I highly recommend reading up on whatever FC you decide one. I spent a couple weeks reading and researching before attempting to tune my CC3D, and I'm glad I did as I understood what the settings were doing. And don't feel bad, there's now 3 guys at work that tell their wives the same thing. :D Headed to fly here shortly myself.

I was just given the opertunity to buy a lightly used Blade 350qx3 with 2 battery packs....very tempting!

If you don't, then pass it on to me. Cash in hand. I've been looking for a 350 at a good price for a while now.

Sent you a pm James

Thanks for the video, nice looking setup and great flying! AS for the hillbilly accent....you should hear my very flat cajun accent, you and I having a face to face conversation would probably draw some attention in certain areas LOL. I've been reading about building, tuning, and pricing parts for most of the day, it did give me the itch to build one. I'm going to slowly start gathering parts and build a 450 very similar to what you have, it's pretty cheap for that size quad! Did you use a DJI frame or another brand thats built like it?

In the mean time I couldn't pass on the 350qx3, I sent payment for it right after I made the post about it.

350_zps0o3grq6u.jpg

Thanks for the video, nice looking setup and great flying! AS for the hillbilly accent....you should hear my very flat cajun accent, you and I having a face to face conversation would probably draw some attention in certain areas LOL. I've been reading about building, tuning, and pricing parts for most of the day, it did give me the itch to build one. I'm going to slowly start gathering parts and build a 450 very similar to what you have, it's pretty cheap for that size quad! Did you use a DJI frame or another brand thats built like it?

In the mean time I couldn't pass on the 350qx3, I sent payment for it right after I made the post about it.

350_zps0o3grq6u.jpg

LMAO, we'd have to have an interpreter. Buy the real DJI frame, the clone frames are known to be a more brittle plastic on the arms and tend to break easier. Here's the frame only, I've bought here before. Congrats on the 350, nice looking quad.

http://www.atlantahobby.com/store/pc/DJI-Flame-Wheel-450-Frame-Kit-1162p16308.htm

It's been raining for a few days now but I had a 10 minute window yesterday so I did some testing with the gopro on the quad.