Putting together a planted tank

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grgbulldog

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I've been wanting to do something new with my 20 gallon tank, so I've decided to try planting it. I needed lights so I built this setup as a solution. It will be painted black.
dene8ete.jpg

It's a little tall, but it way better than spending a ton of money on an expensive fixture. The bulbs are 13w 6500k CFL's, and it will be mostly low tech low light with dirt.

Pvc stand turned out great man! Saltwater right?

JMO but you should've made a working model of a drilling rig....I attended an oilfield pump operators course and the campus has a small working drilling rig model inside a glass tank it was pretty sweet

Nah. Going fresh with live plants. Maybe harlequin raspboras.

Ok cool. I still have a few plants growing in my freshwater too. I had 3 harlequins until yesterday, one must have jumped out, found him on the floor last night, was sad.

can't wait for updates.

Looking good dude! What light?

3 23w 6500k cfls 4 inches over the surface in clamp lights. Tank is a 20l. So nice and shallow.

I have a 55 set up next to my TV couch awaiting scaping and water. I'm planning on planting it, too.

Make sure to post.

I will. Here are a couple of how this 20 has evolved.
Snapchat-1236233299.jpg
20170104_163711.jpg
20170122_114031.jpg
2017-01-30 16.45.13.jpg

I forgot to mention, it is dirtied with miracle grow organic choice potting mix. It is capped with quickcrete pool filter sand, and I also have one of those fluval nano co2 things that uses 20g cartridges converted to run a diffuser. I only run co2 on my days off now that it's pretty balanced out. I think the frog bit has made a huge impact on the lack of excess nutrients. I've thrown so much out already.

Last edited:
Looks nice :) Are you going to put fish in it or just keep pet plants?

There are rosy red minnows and otto cats in there right now. May get dwarf cichlids for it sometime.

I've cut the light period and quit providing co2. I've gotten a little algae. And the growth rate has definetly slowed a lot. I've started dosing flourish excel. This tank is all about the experiment. Eventually, I will get a new co2 diffuser and see how the co2 changes it again.
20170311_133616.jpg
20170311_133608.jpg

Back