Purchasing New 1/8 Scale Nitro Buggy. Any Opinions?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jway24

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I am new to everything R/C. I am looking to get into the hobby asap. I have a local dirt track that has offroad racing routinely. I am looking for a hobby that will take up a lot of my free time. I know that I will enjoy (with some frustration at times) taking the time to work on a nitro buggy, getting it race ready, and fixing the damages done after the race.

I am getting ready to make my purchase in the next week or so and was looking for opinions from anyone who has been in the hobby for a while. I have looked at many different options but I keep going back to the Losi 8ight 2.0 It is at the top of my buget (about $700) but I just can't seem to look away from it. Is this too much (buggy) and money for a beginner? I really want to make a great purchase the first time because my wife will not let me buy another any time soon.

Thanks in advance!

No its not "too much". Going with top of the line is better for a beginner in most aspects in my opinion. Its not going to be a piece of junk that you will hate right from the start.

I agree, it is a great starting point if you wanna pony up that kind of cash. You'll have a really well built, competitive buggy right from the get go instead of buying a $350RTR that will have lots of trouble keeping up and not drive half as good, plus if you do like the hobby you will eventually step up and buy a better kit anyhow..... you just skipping the first part.

Great choice first of, but then I would say that since I've been running nothing but Losi since 04.

Feel free to ask me any questions about the car. I know all the plus and minus points of it. They all have them. :)

Thanks for the feedback. I kinda felt like it was a good starting point. I was just worried about how a newbie would be able to handle it and if it was worth spending that kind of money on. But then again, since it is an RTR, I imagine it is designed for everyone who buys it. One of the features I really like about it is the included Spektrum DX3S radio. Seems like a radio I could stick with for a while even if I purchase a better kit later down the road. Thanks again for the feedback!

The DX3s is a nice radio, you barely notice it when using it. If I didn't already have a 4PK I would've kept it when I got my XXL.

Back