Project Bandit43

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahr43

Hardcore RCTalk User
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Long wanted to build a TRX Bandit. I'm a buggy guy at heart. This popped up on Ebay as a new slider for parts. I'm a sucker for a slider. Figgered if I was ever going to do it, this would be the time.

Not exactly sure how this build will go. Kinda winging it. Inventorying parts to see what's there. If nothing else, the TRX basher stash will get cleaned out. Cheers. -AC

20240427_102010_resize.jpg

Gonna be a fun one.
Always wanted a Bandit roller.

First parts order arrived earlier in the week. STRC aluminum shock towers installed. FR tower went on easy. RR tower a bit more work to get what I wanted.

Rebuilt a pair of long shocks out of the basher box for the front. Two-hole pistons, no internal limiters and, get this, even used TRX clear silicone shock fluid. Think its ~30wt? Been new-in-the-package for a long time. Time to see how it works out.

Re-built all steel gear tranny with 32P pinion/spur combo, again out of the basher box. Eventually may go to RPM tranny cases to get the aluminum motor plate. For now, this works.

Still a slider but more parts on order that'll get her closer to a roller. Cheers. -AC

20240505_140135_resize.jpg

Got the RR shocks sorted out today. Ended up with XX-L shock bodies swapping in a long (L) shock shaft. 3-hole pistons. Silver FR springs at the RR. TRX clear shock fluid. No internal limiters. Seems a suitable fit. Referring to the 1999 owner manual, Bandit RR shocks get a XX-L shock body with X-L shock shaft. Only had a pair of longs in the basher box so that's what she got.

More parts in the supply pipeline. -AC

20240507_154223_resize.jpg

20240507_154232_resize.jpg

Last edited:
Got the rear driveline in place. Still a slider. Slapped on a set of tires to see how she fits and sits.

Ordered in two driveshaft assemblies. Went with the Drag Slash option for a rear driveline. The Drag Slash'es are a bit longer than the stock shafts for more spline engagement and a bit larger in diameter as well. Makes for a beefy driveline. At full droop there was just a hint of outer knuckle rub on the RR A-arm. Moving the hub carriers up to the lower hole assured clearance. May have to reset the shocks and/or camber links later. Shall wait and see.

Fit up a pair of STRC 12mm AL set screw hexes to cap off the driveline. Going with P-L Hole Shots as spec tire for this project. Getting a pair of Hole Shot 2WD buggy fronts on tomorrow's order. Cheers. -AC

20240511_111322_resize.jpg

20240511_122816_resize.jpg

20240511_124346_resize.jpg

20240511_124322_resize.jpg

Back