Problems with old tamiya terra crusher

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tankharris

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
so I've been told this is a pretty great forum and I'm new hear....

anyways i have an old tamiya terra crusher (.18 motor, electric start) and i had an issue with it where the starter unit wouldnt catch. i pulled everything apart and cleaned it and what not and the starter now catches and the engine turns and stuff. only one problem (or what may be several). like i said it turns fine but it will turn and turn and turn (I've left it turning for like 2.5 minutes) but it will never start. I'm sure everything is put together correctly, so maybe its an internal problem?

id like to get this thing up and running so id love some help. thanks!

EDIT: this thing sat for like 2 years.

did u do the normal stuff for a car thats been sitting that long. new glow plug clean the fuel tank with some 90% alcohol or nitro fuel repkace fuel lines make sure the glow pkug is glowing. also if u have been trying to crank it a lot and u primed it a good bit it could be flooded so take the glow plug out and turn the rc upside down and turn the engine over. a lot of fuel may come out if so get the fuel out put the plug back in then tey to crank it if still nothing prime again just not so much u flood the case

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

also check the carb gap make sure it open enoigh for the motor to get air no air equals no start. also u mau wanna try richening your needles some and if that doesn't work try leaning some. I buy used rcs and if they are to lean the carb wont even let fuel go to the motor

thanks for the help so far i will try all this after i get home today. I'm kind of new to these so could you tell me what the carb gap is? and i my air filter seems really really dense should i take it off till i can get it to start?

you should really replace your air filter bc its likely the foam is broken down and faling apart having sat for 2 years. just to see if it will start its ok to start it with no air filter but DO NOT run it around with out the filter

carbgap_zps7c99f9ef.jpg

Thats a pic of the carb with air filter removed and a proper carb gap. it should be set to about 1mm you may need to open it a little bit more to get it running tho then set it to 1mm to tune it.

you should really replace your air filter bc its likely the foam is broken down and faling apart having sat for 2 years. just to see if it will start its ok to start it with no air filter but DO NOT run it around with out the filter

carbgap_zps7c99f9ef.jpg

Thats a pic of the carb with air filter removed and a proper carb gap. it should be set to about 1mm you may need to open it a little bit more to get it running tho then set it to 1mm to tune it.

take into account 1mm is the average some need more some need less

+1 on that but for someone without much experience 1mm is the best to go buy. Also every motor is diff on my t maxx with the 3.3 my gap looks closed no way could you fit a paper clip in it but if i open to 1mm the clutch engages and it rolls. every motor is diff as every carb is diff

hi again, today i checked the carb gap and it seems fine to me so i investigated further.... i noticed that the plug on the unit that i plug my wand to start the truck into was not ignitin g the glow plug like it should. so i bought a double A housing and two alligator clips. connected them together and they make it glow right up. its to late to try to start it now (my neighbors would complain of the noise) so ill try it out tomorrow) can't wait to see if it works! :)