Pro4 SC10 metal CVD's

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightcrawler67

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
Hey all....

So, I installed the metal cvd's into my Pro4 SC10 and I'll tell you what...... I can be so stupid. Of course everything that happened was my own fault and I cannot blame Associated Electrics for it.
Mostly, pay attention and make sure when you're reassembling the diffs, put the bearings on BEFORE you install the inner cups. I forgot to and had both diffs together and ready to install (DOH) before I realized that I forgot the bearings. And you have to completely disassemble the diffs to get cups out to install bearings. Because they don't fit OVER the cups like other trucks. UGH.

20230825_173007.jpg

If you look carefully at the manual, even the authors of that booklet got the order wrong in one step: the manual instructs you to install the spline shaft on the center diff without the bearing. In the manual, you later install the bearing into the gearbox.

You’ll be in for a surprise when you try to mate the chassis + center diff to the rear end of the truck. The center diff turns on 8x16x4 mm bearings and the OD of the splined shaft in the back of the diff is 10 mm.

Thankfully, the original drive shafts come off the outdrives and allow you to change the bearings without disassembling and draining the diff.

Hey all....

So, I installed the metal cvd's into my Pro4 SC10 and I'll tell you what...... I can be so stupid. Of course everything that happened was my own fault and I cannot blame Associated Electrics for it.
Mostly, pay attention and make sure when you're reassembling the diffs, put the bearings on BEFORE you install the inner cups. I forgot to and had both diffs together and ready to install (DOH) before I realized that I forgot the bearings. And you have to completely disassemble the diffs to get cups out to install bearings. Because they don't fit OVER the cups like other trucks. UGH.

View attachment 170801
That's probably the more common than you know. I can't remember the last RC I had that had bearings able to fit over the outdrives.

Edit: I got 1/8 scale platforms on my brains 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
I have three diffs on my B74.2 and one on the Turbo Scorpion with bearings that go on and off just like that when the diff is in your hands.

Removing the outdrive before getting to the bearing would be acceptable (as is the case with the front and rear diffs of the stock Pro4/MT10) but if I had to drain the diff to change a bearing at an unprotected location I wouldn’t buy that vehicle in the first place.