Pro-lines new 40 series rim

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, if you have some high horsepower enigne/s those are worth it if they hold up!

anyone know if they reduce the torque robbing you get from regular 40 series wheels???

they create more rotating mass....but if you make the center point of the drive larger (23mm instead of 17mm) will it distribute the force required to start the rotating mass better? it should I think

Plaidfish said:
they create more rotating mass....but if you make the center point of the drive larger (23mm instead of 17mm) will it distribute the force required to start the rotating mass better? it should I think

How do 40 series rims and tires create more rotating mass? Are they thought to weigh more than a normal set of wheels?

Weights

Stock Savage tire and wheel: 2.2 oz (345g)
Stock T-Maxx tire and wheel: 11.3 oz (320g)
40 Series Mamba w/ Road Rage tires: 9.2 oz (260g)

Last edited:
exactly buncrana, more weight or larger diameter means you lose torque at the wheel, but in different ways, more weight will be harder to spin up, where as larger diameter means more top end but less acceleration. 40 series wheels are the same diameter as standard ones on the tread diameter so any weight saving will make them more efficient, revo wheels and tyres are a good all round weight saving too, very similar to 40s

davy t maxx said:
exactly buncrana, more weight or larger diameter means you lose torque at the wheel, but in different ways, more weight will be harder to spin up, where as larger diameter means more top end but less acceleration. 40 series wheels are the same diameter as standard ones on the tread diameter so any weight saving will make them more efficient, revo wheels and tyres are a good all round weight saving too, very similar to 40s

So since the 40's weigh less, you then gain more torque?

Buncrana said:
Weights
Stock Savage tire and wheel: 2.2 oz (345g)
Stock T-Maxx tire and wheel: 11.3 oz (320g)
40 Series Mamba w/ Road Rage tires: 9.2 oz (260g)

The weights look good but you left off the Big Joes:

---40 Series Mambo + Big Joes: 13.6 oz (386g)

That is definitely not light wheels. A full set of four would equal 54.4 oz(1544g) or an amazing 3.4lbs. That's pretty wild to have three pounds of wheels & tires. You can definitely see some performance drain (acceleration, jumping abilities, etc.) But the tire diameter does make up for it on the top speed.

If you really want to see the difference b/t the weight of a tire and the diameter of a tire. Run your savage with some buggy tires and then run it with some Big Joes.

Peace...

okay heres what I've noticed..
the road rage tires yes, less mass less resistance on road..thes are the only 40 tire sets I use currently
big joes = heavy (as DL said) meaning more rotating mass, same goes for 40 mashers but not as much....
bowties have more traction creating more resistance on the take off......and that can also rob low end torque.....those are situation I wanted to know if the larger center will alleviate.....anyone know bout that???? there's got to be another tech geek out there....

Back