Please help pick parts

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonasP

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey there! I'm completely new to RC, Electronics in general, and this forum. So I hope you can forgive my lack of knowledge in any of these things :)

I'm working on custom vehicle project, that's more of a concept art piece, rather than a good RC vehicle. So it doesn't need to be fast or of very high quality, just needs to be able to drive around and turn a corner :)

With that in mind I started buying components. I got myself:

- GoolRC 2.4G 4CH Radio Model RC Transmitter & Receiver
- Diymore 2PCS MG996R Metal Gear High Speed Torque servo motor Digital Servo

and

- Crazepony-UK NI-MH Battery 6v 700mAh High Capacity Spare Battery Pack with SM 2P Plug Connector with USB Charging Cable for Remote Control Rc Car, Ele

After getting the battery I realised that connectors don't match, and I need to buy something else. So instead of wasting more money on buying kit I know nothing about I figured I'll seek help in your forum :)

Sooo TLDR I need a battery and engine (and any other components necessary, like ESC) that will work with that transmitter/receiver and servos.
Price isn't the biggest issue, Ease of use is. But ofc, I'd rather buy a cheaper part, than the more expensive one.

Appreciate any help I can get :)

Jonas

Welcome in Jonas, your off to a good start, keep it up. I would suggest "if you haven't already" sharpen up on your soldering skills and just change the connectors. There are a ton of choices on Amazon. I use XT90 connectors because they are simple to solder and make a good solid connection. Non matching connectors happens more often than not but a easy fix. If you go that route be sure to only cut one wire on the batter at a time or you will spark for sure... o_O
A fair warning though, once you start with the hobby, you can't stop......;)
For the record we call projects like yours, "shelf queen's". Post up some pics...

hello and welcome.. .Ok there are a few things you are going to need to know..we use alot of different battery esc connectors in this hobby(all with different names and specs)and most of use solder a new connector that we like on esc and batteries prior to that we cut heat shrink tube slide it on battery or esc wire b4 soldering. We then tin the wire ends and some also tin the connector then assemble them slide heat shrink tube on and apply a small amount of heat to shrink it to wire and plug ends..
things you will need to post b4 any help can be given
scale of rc?
do you have a hobby grade battery charger and what type?
the battery you purchased is for powering electronics on rc(some might say its 4 nitro) the esc will produce the power thru the 3 pin plug to power most thing(some fall short of power as in we need more power than esc can deliver)
if you contact me direct I will try and help you avoid mistakes a new person might make.cheers tnt
https://www.bing.com/images/search?...236E0&selectedIndex=34&FORM=IRPRST&ajaxhist=0

http://www.tjinguytech.com/charging-how-tos

1st link is for some types of battery connectors.
2nd is one of my fav pages loads of info mostly on battery types

Yup...
TNT is correct. The first thing I noticed was your battery selection will not work. you will need a 6 cell 7.2v battery. Also, you need to make sure your ESC will handle a NiMH battery.

A really good way to get help on this is to let us know how much you are willing to spend on your electronics. Also, do you want reverse. You can get electronics really cheap, but a lot of the time, they don't work after a couple runs, or they cause damage to other electronic components. Remember, especially with electronics, you get what you pay for. It would really suck if you pulled your project down to show it off for some people and it doesn't work. No matter how cool it looks, that all goes out the door after the buzz kill of the car not working.

I use XT90 connectors because they are simple to solder and make a good solid connection. Non matching connectors happens more often than not but a easy fix.
Thank you :)
Learning some soldering sounds kinda fun.
From the link that Tnt provided it looks like I’d need something like male Tamiya connector rather than XT90? Or does it work with both?
Pic of my receiver attached.

- The Battery I got was for the servos, since they require either 4.8v to 6v battery. It is also USB chargeable.
I don't have a charger otherwise, so any recommendations are appreciated.
- From the few tutorials I've watched I got the idea that ESC's are for the main motors. Servos should work just by plugging into the receiver which has a battery also plugged in? Or is that incorrect? Now that I'm thinking about it I guess there's only one input for BAT on my receiver so I guess I need a battery that powers both servo and engine simultaneously?

-As for scale and pics... well... This is the first time I’m doing this kind of project, so 99% chance I haven't thought everything through correctly but... The idea was to assemble a working RC motor system > once I have all I need then design a chassis around it > 3d print it > and then build a body (also 90% 3d printed)

Edit: I can estimate the scale being around 30*15*15cm L*W*H
Edit2: Guess I can share a concept of a vehicle similar to what I have in mind, tho not sure if it would help much since it's only a 3d model. https://www.artstation.com/artwork/L3kKmA

Just saw your new message as I was typing this, So could you reccomend a battery and a ESC? My budget ideal is around £100 not including the parts I already bought.

Attachments

• Receiver.JPG
    Receiver.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
We are in the US, so that would be about $130 and be about 11in x 5.5in x 5.5in. That would be a 1/12 scale car.

In order to help with the ESC, we would need to know what type of motor you are building and what size? Is it brushless or a brushed? Is it a 540 size or...? How many turns, or KWs, will the motor have?

Lastly, what are you using your project for? Is it going to be on a flat smooth surface? How much will it weigh?

For a battery, A LiPO will give you the longest run time, last the longest, and is much lighter. However, you will need to do some research on how to charge and maintain them. They are only a little bit more than a NiMH battery.

I don't know about the motor, was hoping you guys would help me pick :) I heard brushless is probably the better one.

As Tunedpipe said the project is kind of a "shelf queen" it's going to be driven indoors only.

As it's going to be 3d printed in PLA plastic, the weight is probably going to be around 300 - 400 grams (0.8 pounds?) without the electronics. So the motor doesn't need to be too powerfull, Infact high torque might not be desirable as PLA gears are not very strong.

All of the dimensions are just estimates. As I said before I wanted to asselbe electronics first, and build the model around them.

After a quick browse I found these batteries:

- melasta 7.2V NIMH Battery Pack 4200mAh High Power rc Car Battery with Tamiya Connectors

I don't think I want a LiPO, as I'd rather it be as low maitenance as possible.

Could you confirm what kind of connectors I'd need for that receiver?

sorry tunned his battery selection has limited uses for him. Sale battery (best thing)
MY apologies , I just read the type of battery he posted and XT90 is most definitely a over kill. I'll shut up now.... :D

The plugs for the receiver are mostly standard. You should be find with that. The ESC and Servo will plug into with out issues.

So, you don't really need a 540 size motor. You could get away with a mush smaller motor. Try looking at the motor and ESC for the Losi Mini T. Those run for about $40 USD. You can even get the entire electrical system for those for not a lot of money. The Kyosho Mini-Z cars are also a really good system to look at. You can buy each piece individually.

You are aware that the motor you ordered is for a plane or drone right?

You are aware that the motor you ordered is for a plane or drone right?
Haven't ordered yet, but let me ask more stupid questions... :D would that cause issues? I guess the rpm might be too high? Not really sure what the differences are between ground vehicle and drone motors.

Edit: And another question :) the label on my receiver says 4.5v to 6.5v to bind. Would 7.2v battery not burn it out?

Last edited:
ok on aircraft the motor case does spin on ground rc it does not.. id look for a mini esc/motor combo. the 1 u picked now is a crawler motor tons of torque 80t is why and its 540 size

ok on aircraft the motor case does spin on ground rc it does not.. id look for a mini esc/motor combo. the 1 u picked now is a crawler motor tons of torque 80t is why and its 540 size
Ok thank you :)

What are the usual motor sizes? I'm not really sure what to search for. Just searching "rc car motor esc" gives me a bunch of 540 or bigger motors.

Edit: Would this one work? it's still 540 size, but the torque is lower?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Peanutaoc-...ords=Surpass+Hobby+540&qid=1602795914&sr=8-37

Last edited:
keywords .mini.1/12 scale.. then you know..combo also a keyword

JonasP, the number for the motor pertains to how long the can or body of the motor is. Hence 540, 380, 550 etc. Is how long the can is and is millimeters. Then you have number of turns of windings around the armature. More windings equals more torque and vice versa. Also less turns will have more room but also draw more power. Hope that helps a little and these guys will let me know if I'm off on any of this.

Back