pinion gear problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rookie1980

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all bit of a problem gone to Change my 16t pinion for a 13t pinion on my radix 6 the grub screw seems to of rounded off unable to remove hopefully some one can help and give me some advice how to to remove thankyou đź‘Ť

I would try a torx bit. If that doesn't work, drilling it out should be easy enough.

thats why I have carbide dremel tool bits .got the for 5 $ a handful before they closed

I would save drilling as an absolute last resort.

1) At the first hint of a screw not budging I find it extremely important to apply heat, many will use a soldering iron to melt the thread lock but I use a micro torch like this apply direct flame for about 5-10 seconds and the screw should come out effortlessly, even a partially stripped screw:
https://www.amazon.com/Weller-Mini-Butane-Torch-WLTBUM2/dp/B09BBVDLWT/

2) If the screw has been stripped beyond the tool from fitting properly, then I still apply heat and will use this micro extractor set here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08XXP1SD9/

3) Very rarely have I had a screw not come out by this point, but the next step I would take is using a pinion puller like this:
https://www.amazon.com/DEVMO-Pinion-Puller-Universal-Remover/dp/B0971HDRJH/

4) Drilling out screws is a very painful process, but IF I were to ever go that route I would use a reverse thread bit which is essentially what is included in the extractor set I linked above

5) Dremel would be absolute last resort to cut the pinion off, where pinion gears are disposable and should be replaced regularly anyway

I went to the "drill it" answer right away merely because I never had success getting stripped tiny screws out any other way. If I remember correctly, the 2 or 3 times I did it the set screw just kinda crumbled and I could clean out the threads in the pinion and it was still usable.

Have you guys never used a Dremel cutting wheel to cut a notch in the grub screw to remove it with a flat head screwdriver?

Many times on a regular button or flat head screw, but on a tiny grub screw, no success.

Oh. It always works for me!
Most set screws are recessed into the pinion, making using a dremel on them impossible, unless you want to sacrifice the pinion. In that case, just drilling it out is far easier. It's not hard at all to drill a grub screw out without damaging the pinion. I have never had to resort to that, cutting a slot, or using extractors on RC's, but I have done it a number of times on other projects. I don't really get why people have so much trouble with RC fasteners. If they're rusted, soak with penetrating oil for a day. They come right out. If they are loctited in, apply heat. If you strip the socket, use a torx. It's that simple.