Paint removal?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bkyd Basher

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hey guys, i asked a while ago on how to remove old rattle can paint from a lid, and i was told dot 3 or 4 or whatever brake fluid will do it. So i did and it took about 80% of it off, but now i have like patches of paint hear and there that the brake fluid wouldnt touch. Not sure why but does anyone have any other ideas or past experience with this? Sucks because the body is perfect shape but flexed and lost a big piece of paint so i wanted to do a retry. Thanks in advance.

i use my wife's finger nail polish remover (non acetone) with a cotton ball or old rag and it seems to work pretty well, and wont eat the lexan.

Use the search feature, or click Robs link.

Unreal...

Yeah definatly use Dot4 and when you do you will have little white foggy patches or maybe lines where it looks like there is a slight thin layer of paint there but its really not paint its just where the lexan paint bonded to the lexan and made an etching. For example the last body I cleaned had pin stripes and racing numbers on it and when I stripped all the paint off you can still see the lines and the numbers and it almost looks like it still a shade of paint there but its etched its not paint. I've read (havent repainted the body yet to confirm this) that once you repaint it those etched lines and hazy places will disappear as the new paint is bonded to the lexan and you'll never know it was there. Like I said, thats what I've read anyway. :)

i cecked the bottle and it was dot 4. Let it sit for like three days and nothing, couldnt even scratch it off,hard as a rock. maybe i will try the finger nail polish. And it was just a solid color so i shouldnt have any details still seen if i get it all off.Guess i will give it another try. Thanks for the video. Love this site man everyones so helpful and one person or another has been through every little situation and ready to share there expereince. So again thanks everyone!!!!!!

Last edited:
Its possible that its not lexan lacquer paint? Thats the only reason I can think of. Just an FYI, I've also just repainted my first wing that I've ever stripped paint off of and those hazy white patches that the video claims are supposed to go away after you repaint.....well not all of them did....maybe I just didnt get all the paint off of it and I mistook the little spotches of paint with the actual hazy areas? IDK.....I have another body I stripped at the same time and I'm gonne try stripping it again just to see if I can provent that from happening to this body because the other body is a discontinued Losi VW Baja body....I really dont want it to end up looking like crap.

Watched a YouTube vid and that guy was using Goof off, looks like it was working pretty good. Picked up a can today to try it, also a can of dot4 just in case.

So i went to town with some dot 4, sure wasn't like the video. Didnt even phase it.As far as the paint it was Tamiya spray laquer paint. i just dont know?

Yeah IDK either....the paint for me came right off of both rc bodies I was stripping (I mean it did take alot of soaking but that was to be expected even from the video) but the one that I repainted didnt come out like I expected. Seems like there isnt any realiable method. I'm just hoping my second body comes out better than the first.

Ya i soaked the heck out of it for hours, but oh well. The painting the bodys is alot of fun but i was very dissapointed on the durability of the paint and body. One good flex and it broke right free from the plastic. Although i believe i put to heavy coats. I believe the thinner the better as far as flexing and staying.

Older thread I know but I have been using DoT 3 to remove paint from an Old RC10 body. The paint has been on there since 1990 and is coming off just fine.

I used and old dish towel, soaked in dot3 and laid it in the shell. Pressed it into all the corners and curves and reapplied more dot3. Covered that with a towel to make a tent over the shell and let it soak that way overnight. A little elbow grease and the paint comes right off. Some hazing but oh well. It'll still be the original shell and gold pan together.

Back