Outlaw Engine Buggies

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mondo

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I bought another Thunder Tiger EB4 S2 Pro, this was a rolling chassis complete with wheels, tires, 'zorst and fuel tank. The only things missing are electronics and motor. Came at a real good price too....

I was contemplating on making this an "Outlaw Buggy" by fitting either a .25, .26 or even a .28 motor into it..
Of course this would be used for nothing more than bashing...

I'd also like to exceed the 125ml fuel tank limitation too, perhaps an EK4 truggy tank would do?

What are your guys' thoughts on oversized motors in buggies?

Stick to high end .21, they make better power and are ment for the application. Modded P5 would be my vote.

I run a fantom .27 in my XB8 every now and then...it rocks....all kinds of power and speed....I had to limit my throttle EPA cause I was breaking traction at around 3/4 throttle...I'm sure there's a better way to handle that but I just wanted to stop it from doing that as I had plenty of speed and pull up to that point to compete w/ V-specs and some P5s & a 421b.......the 421 was run by a complete idiot so I'm sure it was more out of tune than it should have been.....that engine flat out screams on large tracks.....anyway for 150 buck slap a fantom or wasp in it...cheap and cheerful but you only get about 5 good gallons before they turn to turds and need a pinch.....and use the HPI ripple pipe on em...no need to spend big bucks on outlaw poop....that pipe is loud though...mine sounds like a friggin motocross bike.....

I like running huge engines in buggies, but I currently run a high end .21, a Collari B3. I would say go for a high end .21 if you can. I ran a Wasp .28 in a Kyosho MP7.5 and it was sweet but I wasn't that impressed. I had it in my savage, which is where these motors really shine. The savage would do wheelies and all sorts of stuff and you could really see the power of the engine, in the buggy it had soo much raw power that the tires were usless. With a nice .21 you can get most all of the power down and usually have a higher top speed. Also they tend to last longer. If I had 200 or so bucks for a buggy motor, I'd go for a motor like my Collari instead of a .28.

Learning...

Thanks for the info guys, three replies and you all said stick with a decent .21
I guess I will, as this is going to be a basher, I am not going to spend a fortune on a motor. I'll just pop into my LHS and see what they have

AC did you regear your buggy????
when you go to the bigger engines you put more power to the wheels quicker....you need to give the engine more gear to stretch the power band out on....I'll put my XB8 w/ a fantom .27 and 15/45 gearing against any high end mill anyday......

my stock .26 that came with the mayhem will keep up with a $500 modded .21 which you can buy the .26 for like 130 which I'm sure they're are better engines but this is the only engine bigger than a .21 I've ran

Plaidfish said:
AC did you regear your buggy????
when you go to the bigger engines you put more power to the wheels quicker....you need to give the engine more gear to stretch the power band out on....I'll put my XB8 w/ a fantom .27 and 15/45 gearing against any high end mill anyday......
Good point, I did not re gear my buggy. It had the stock gearing of the MP7.5 which I can't remember now. If you want you could try a huge engine and regear.

i have a picco .27 in my mayhem...it is really fast but is hard to get mid ranged power. its awsome because i can beat any other buggy in a straight and i can pick up good speed and torque for the jumps but the big engines lack the "zippyness" and power allthroughout the powerband. .21s are more smooth than larger engines.

.21s are more smooth than larger engines.

sometimes...the higher end mills what you are paying for is the smooth power band....I found that wasp/fantom .27 to be very smooth all through the power band after I regeared it...w/ the lower gearing it was too jerky and spooled up too fast......never tried any of those Hyper/OFNA mills for too long....at the time I had em I wasn't very good at tuning and they seemed a little flakey to me.....could have been my error though....a lot of people like them as a MT mill......

Learning...

Guys, thanks for the replies, I am learning :)

So, if going for a larger .25 to .28 motor, I should pay the extra bones and get a brand name motor opposed to an el-cheapo version.
As for the gearing up, would this be by means of a clutchbell/pinion or a spur, or both pinion and spur?

Excuse the dumb-assed questions, but a I am a MAXX owner and buggies are something new to me and I am still undergoing my learining curve with them

same as the maxx lower gearing would be smaller CB and larger spur.....higher gearing would be the opposite: Higher # of teeth CB w/ lower # Teeth Spur.....depends on what you have now to decide how you want to change it.....