Tacon Soar

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jfpryde

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So I've been in the market for sub 1/10 RCs for awhile. I got my daughter a Latrax Teton (cuz parts, that's the only reason), and then I ended up getting my wife a Tacon Soar cuz she thought the buggy was cute. Of course I needed a little guy too so I found a used MERV for cheap and I said what the hell. Well, the three of us went to the park last weekend and let me tell you who had the biggest smile on their face? Yup, the wife. Bottom line? I'm super jealous of the wife's Soar and I hate my MERV.

The quality of the Tacon is so much more than what I expected and the setup is amazing out of the box. That low CG buggy was flying through rough grass fields with out a care in the world. The MERV? Every bump felt like they were 10 times bigger than they were and it would roll if you looked at it wrong. Speed? The Tacon has it in spades, and the motor and esc kept plenty cool on stock gearing. Braking was amazing too, my wife loves doing stories. Durbility? My wife hits EVERYTHING, no issues yet! I dont yet know how the maintenance will go on the Tacon, but it seems open enough, and if it never breaks, who cares?

I'm definitely getting my own Tacon. I like truggies so maybe the bulwark, or possibly the desert buggy. I'll keep the MERV and try to get the suspension sorted (learning experience), but I can't say enough about these Tacon (LC racing) rigs. If you are considering on of these rigs, just pull the damn trigger. They're that good. The Teton is kinda fun too by the way, more so than my MERV I think.

So for those of you who have one of these rigs, what lipos you running? I kinda want one size for all my smaller rigs of possible, but I'll take whatever suggestions you got.

So I've been in the market for sub 1/10 RCs for awhile. I got my daughter a Latrax Teton (cuz parts, that's the only reason), and then I ended up getting my wife a Tacon Soar cuz she thought the buggy was cute. Of course I needed a little guy too so I found a used MERV for cheap and I said what the hell. Well, the three of us went to the park last weekend and let me tell you who had the biggest smile on their face? Yup, the wife. Bottom line? I'm super jealous of the wife's Soar and I hate my MERV.

The quality of the Tacon is so much more than what I expected and the setup is amazing out of the box. That low CG buggy was flying through rough grass fields with out a care in the world. The MERV? Every bump felt like they were 10 times bigger than they were and it would roll if you looked at it wrong. Speed? The Tacon has it in spades, and the motor and esc kept plenty cool on stock gearing. Braking was amazing too, my wife loves doing stories. Durbility? My wife hits EVERYTHING, no issues yet! I don't yet know how the maintenance will go on the Tacon, but it seems open enough, and if it never breaks, who cares?

I'm definitely getting my own Tacon. I like truggies so maybe the bulwark, or possibly the desert buggy. I'll keep the MERV and try to get the suspension sorted (learning experience), but I can't say enough about these Tacon (LC racing) rigs. If you are considering on of these rigs, just pull the damn trigger. They're that good. The Teton is kinda fun too by the way, more so than my MERV I think.

So for those of you who have one of these rigs, what lipos you running? I kinda want one size for all my smaller rigs of possible, but I'll take whatever suggestions you got.
I have a 2 of the LC Racing/Tacon vehicles I have the Truggy and the MT turned into a buggy. The truggy is the Pro Kit from WarrenRC and the buggy started it's life as a brushed Tacon Valor. Both have front Tbone Racing bumpers and rear Tbone skids.

This guy sells RTRs, ARR, kits and tons of parts. http://casterracingmi.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=173
I use this trimmed down instead of the stock battery strap. https://www.amainhobbies.com/purete...ck-mount-strap-black-medium-pur022-bk/p146382 and put some Velcro on the battery. With this setup I use these batteries https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-2200mah-2s-40c-lipo-pack-1.html snug fit in the EMB-1 though.

be0wsrul_f54137d32c903167f9afb95ca4b82580544e61a0.jpg

4h0obail_c32214ffd51a3d6ca64eceb537e283886cf4c728.jpg

I had the tecon valor mine was the brushed one didn't like it

I had the tecon valor mine was the brushed one didn't like it
The brushed models are complete garbage and a total waste of money, they are quite literally completely different from the brushless models, it's like comparing a Traxxas Rustler to a Team Losi 22T. My Tacon Valor started as a brushed model and I wish I would have just started with the brushless one to begin with.

This guy sells RTRs, ARR, kits and tons of parts. http://casterracingmi.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=173
I use this trimmed down instead of the stock battery strap. https://www.amainhobbies.com/purete...ck-mount-strap-black-medium-pur022-bk/p146382 and put some Velcro on the battery. With this setup I use these batteries https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-2200mah-2s-40c-lipo-pack-1.html snug fit in the EMB-1 though.

Awesome. Thanks for the recommendation!

Yup. MERV= world's smallest gigantic money pit
Thought about converting to a mini Summit instead. Making the best of a not great situation, think itll perform better as a Summit? I suppose theres not alot of difference so maybe expecting it to perform better is asking a lot.

Awesome. Thanks for the recommendation!
Here is my thread on the cars https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/tacon-valor-lc-racing-emb-tgh.7478/page-2#post-75408
There is a giant thread over on RCTech the thread is almost 7 years old so some info in the beginning is outdated there are a few good how toos and tips buried in their though https://www.rctech.net/forum/micro-mini-scales/681066-lc-racing-emb-1h-official-thread.html
Same goes for the thread on RC Groups https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sho...r)-Buggy-Thread-also-SCT-Rally-DT-and-MT-info

The quality of the Tacon is so much more than what I expected and the setup is amazing out of the box. That low CG buggy was flying through rough grass fields with out a care in the world.
Dont do this to me! i’m using some super will power here by not geting one!
I really want a small scale, and i think the top condenders now are the Tacon and the reflex 14, but the Tacon is on top for sure. Only reason i’m not getting one is the hope that Arrma will have one as well..

I got one question for you, on the site they show some models (like the truggy) having a new ESC, while the Soar is showing the old ESC (with the blue cooling plate) like @slick2500 has on his photos. Does the current Soar ship with that ESC? or the new black one?

Thanks

don't do this to me! i’m using some super will power here by not geting one!
I really want a small scale, and i think the top condenders now are the Tacon and the reflex 14, but the Tacon is on top for sure. Only reason i’m not getting one is the hope that Arrma will have one as well..

I got one question for you, on the site they show some models (like the truggy) having a new ESC, while the Soar is showing the old ESC (with the blue cooling plate) like @slick2500 has on his photos. Does the current Soar ship with that ESC? or the new black one?

Thanks

I got the Black and red one that you see on the truggy photos. Looks a good bit nicer IMO.

don't do this to me! i’m using some super will power here by not geting one!

Thanks
That ecs I have was a $9 eBay special that I purchased 3 years ago, it is not the stock esc. I'm not sure what esc the Tacon Soar comes with. But the truggy looks like it comes with a Hobbywing WP16BL30.

Every now and then they have them on the 18% off deal.

The ESC or the tacon?
The Tacon vehicles. This week they have the brushed buggy on sale but I highly suggest you avoid it like the plague. Their sale sucked me into the brushed Tacon Valor, it was $93 shipped, but since then pretty much everything has been upgraded to the brushless stuff except the diffs, the shock towers, camber links and turnbuckles.

Next week they will probably have one of the brushed models on sale https://www.nitrorcx.com/weeklyspecials.html

Here is a list of what is different between the brushless and brushed models.
  • Chassis - brushless is 2.5mm aluminum, brushed is plastic composite
  • shocks - brushless are aluminum, brushed are plastic composite
  • shock towers - brushless are 2.5mm aluminum, brushed are plastic composite
  • camber links and turnbuckles - brushless have an adjustment hole, brushed are just solid rods.
  • diffs - brushless models have 4 gear diffs, brushed models have 2 gear diffs.
  • diff outdrives - the brushless models have metal out drives with the rear out drive connected to the slipper assembly, the brushed models are plastic with the rear out drive connected to the shaft that the spur is locked onto.
  • motor mount - brushless models have a slider style motor mount, brushed models have a fixed motor mount so you are stuck with stock gearing.
If you want to get into the brushless models on the cheap get the Tacon Ranger, it is the long wheel base vehicle but can be converted to a swb vehicle including chassis, chassis top brace, center drive shaft, wheels, body, body mounts for about $30. https://www.nitrorcx.com/25c207-12-ranger-rally-red-brushless.html

I would not get the Desert Truck either, everyone I know that has gotten one has had the body cage break on theirs, and the cage isn't cheap to replace.

Last edited:
Very interesting, thanks!

So the rally is the same to lets say the truggy, apart from the body/wheels, yet it costs 50$ less? or i’m missing something.

BTW, there’s the buggy under the LC brand which is sold as a “kit” (without radio) but costs exatly the same as the RTR Tacon Soar, is there any reason to prefere that version? does it comes with upgraded parts of any sort?

Thank you!

Very interesting, thanks!

So the rally is the same to lets say the truggy, apart from the body/wheels, yet it costs 50$ less? or i’m missing something.

BTW, there’s the buggy under the LC brand which is sold as a “kit” (without radio) but costs exatly the same as the RTR Tacon Soar, is there any reason to prefere that version? does it comes with upgraded parts of any sort?

Thank you!

I'm pretty interested in the truggy kit, but none are in stock ATM. I also wonder about any differences in parts in the kit vs RTR. The kit does not come with instructions, you have to download off the website. I'll look through that.

Wow, my thread has a new home. Not sure how I feel about that.

Anyway, I contacted Warren RC (the LC distributor), asking about the truggy kit. He indicated it should be back in stock soon, and also mentioned that the kit had the following differences:

"sway bar kit, ti coated shock shafts and alloy hex adapters"

Not sure if these are actually different as I have not yet pulled apart my Tacon Soar, though the two brands (LC vs Tacon) may have slightly different, but compatible parts.

edit: awwwww I'm a newbie on this forum. :(

Wow, my thread has a new home. Not sure how I feel about that.

Anyway, I contacted Warren RC (the LC distributor), asking about the truggy kit. He indicated it should be back in stock soon, and also mentioned that the kit had the following differences:

"sway bar kit, ti coated shock shafts and alloy hex adapters"

Not sure if these are actually different as I have not yet pulled apart my Tacon Soar, though the two brands (LC vs Tacon) may have slightly different, but compatible parts.

edit: awwwww I'm a newbie on this forum. :(
Tacon Soar does not come with the sway bars, TiNi shock shafts or aluminum hex adapters. None of the Tacon vehicles do.
Other than the name, the bodies and the servos(some think the servos are made by the same place but rebranded for the Tacons) the Tacons and LC Racing vehicles are exactly the same.

Not sure how the MERV got the rep as a money pit. I had the VXL one for years, never had any issues. The only durability stuff I added was RPM bumpers. Ran plenty of 2 and 3s packs through it and never had problems. About the only thing I didn't do was standing backflips. Those are known to be diff killers in any sized rig.

Back