Orderred New P.C.!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris,

At first glance it lloked pretty good, then I dug down near the bottom of the page. Here are a few things I found.

Minuses
1) Looks like integrated sound
2) 1 slot for memory (total) and none free for future expansion.
3) only 1 free PCI slot and a total of 3.
4) no gigabit ether.
5) it's a sony
6) it's a 3Ghz processor
7) limited 1394 ports

Pluses:
1) it's a sony
2) graphics card rocks
3) massive HD
4)optical drive rock
5) decent ammount of memory

Whitt...

Integrated sound can be software or jumper disabled. He can probably yank the modem and toss it. (I hate retailer-provided modems). It's odd that there's only one memory slot so thank god they gave you a gig of DDR.

I give your hardware a nine-point-oh erect.

The bad part, Christian? Your operating system is probably on a recovery disk. If you ever want to format it and reload it you'll have all those stupid apps that you don't need cluttering up your system tray. When you start it there's buttloads of TSR's just begging to be launched.

If you're comfortable with assembling pc's, get the killer hardware and load the os yourself.

I'm not leaving XP Pro on there for a minute man. You can bet Win2k Pro will be the first thing I do. Then, I will install the 'essential' software and burn a image for backup. Then, I will have my own custom recovery disc. hehehe

The only reason I'm not building my p.c., as I normally would, is because work is picking up the tab and for the DigiVid stuff I want to do (this is not my server or a workstation for that matter) this box seemed to fit the bill perfectly.

1gb RAM should do the trick :thumbup:

Yeah, I have 2 sony laptops, and reloading them fresh is a PAIN. I've done it, but getting the proper drivers is near impossable since SOny will not provide individual drivers, and when they do, they look for the factory install. If the factory install isn't present, the driver install craps out. There's ways around that, but the system you linked to already has XP Pro on it, so the drivers will not be posted. If you want a way around this, ask, but I'm not gonna go into it at the moment since that's not the point of this thread.

Dave, I thought that it only had 512 ram, I might be mistaken. I'd go with the white box solution and build exactly what you want. I love sony, but sometimes I hate it too...

Whitt....

Chris, you ever check your PM's?

Whats wrong with XP PRO??? I have both at home and at work and other than the networking crap I dont see any drawbacks to XP...???

The ONLY platform I cannot use RaptorMobile on is XP

I need RaptorMobile :thumbup:

Whitt, that 512 you saw is the 512kb L2 memory cache on a chipset that supports the processor. And it is for the points you mention that I hate retail machines. I don't own a laptop and that's the main reason I don't.

Christian, I've heard that XP has incorporated some pretty good video capabilities. I say "heard" because I have XP Pro at work but I've never touched the multimedia apps.

And what the hell is RaptorMobile? The skycam above Madden's head?

Last edited:
Hey chrisitian, since you have a new computer, u wanna donate the old one to me?

Originally posted by wdavidhicks
Whitt, that 512 you saw is the 512kb L2 memory cache on a chipset that supports the processor. And it is for the points you mention that I hate retail machines. I don't own a laptop and that's the main reason I don't.

Christian, I've heard that XP has incorporated some pretty good video capabilities. I say "heard" because I have XP Pro at work but I've never touched the multimedia apps.

And what the hell is RaptorMobile? The skycam above Madden's head?

My bad, and yes I know what an L2 cache is. And yes, I use XP movie maker for some of the video stuff that I do, it's ok, but addon software is much better.

RaptorMobile is a VPN Client...no workie on XP :/

I've always wanted a digi camcorder but my money tends to fly towards rc products all of a sudden.

Your videos are great, Whitt. I always wondered what you used to make them. Something that was packaged with a firewire card?

Most of the editing was done with Adobe Premiere 6, the titles with Pinnacle Studio 8, and the final recompress to wmv with (of all things) MS Movie Maker. And thanks, I try.

yeah its a good comp but you could have got much better for that money but like wdavid said you need to be comfortable with putting it together yourself and just buy the parts and do the labor your self and could get one of the most badass comps on the market for 1500 bucks

I do build all of my own. This is in fact the FIRST ever manhandled P.C. I am getting. You have to get the reason why I HAD TO go with one pre-made. Work is picking up a nice part of the tab as it is a 'bonus' for me ;)

Back