old duratrax max wont start! pleeze help!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rc10 20%

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i have an old duratrax maximum st pre-built that I've had for 6 years(pretty old, only went through 2 pist. and barrel sets) an i quit running it about 6 months ago because the idle screw broke. i have a rc 10 gt that threw a main bearing, so i replaced engine with a beautiful o.s. max. i used the idle needle out of the old carburetor and put it in old duratrax. i tried to start it, just to see if it had compression(by the way, the starter broke and engine had about 10 tanks ran through it non stop, the poor thing!) and it had a little and actually fired. for 3 seconds. it never started after that(i have blisters from yanking cord for 2 hours). i took carburation apart ant drained fuel from engine. still no more fire. i was wondering if anybody knows what might be wrong with it, besides that its 10 years old. its ben through a lot. i mean a lot. countless amounts of dirt through engine. yet it almost ran today. all i want to know is what could cause it not to start and some ideas on how to fix it. thanx.

countless amounts of dirt through the engine explains it all I would strip the engine and do a complete rebuild.
I know what u are going through I had a friend who had a old rustler and he thought it would give him more power to run it with out an air filter. So he gave me the pleasure of rebuilding his old rusted dirt clogged engine well since I love doing things like that (I do it all the time) I was able to get it to run like new. all I had to do was rebuild the whole engine.

so what parts would i need? I'm thinking mabe i can get by with a really good cleaning and a new piston and sleeve. will this work? i dont really have any $ i just bought another engine. i could just clean bearings( they arent very worn), rinse all engine casings and put a new pist. and sleeve in it? thanx for info

ya that should work just clean everything really good and oil the bearings and be careful and u should be fine.

Something That You Should Check Is The Glow Plug... Simple But Cheaper Than A Rebuild

i tried putting a brand new plug in it and it acts the same way.. right on the verge of starting, yet it wont no matter how hard you whip the starter... its really starting to piss me off i think i will just wait about two months and replace the engine with something a little bigger than a twelve. thanx guys.