O'Donnell fuel and good?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarant

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
My brother was going to give my 3 gal. of new O'Donnell 20% to run in my stock t-maxx but one of my friends says it is a bad fuel. He said it would come out the pipe in a yellow goo. Is these true or should I go with blue thunder or the traxxax stuff?

Can someone help

THAT GOOD IF ITS YELLOW GOO....That goo is oil.......O'Donnell is a good fuel.....And So is Blue Thuder....Instead of yellow goo.. Blue thunder puts out green-blue goo..

I run O'donnels in my 2.5 Nitro 4-Tec and my T-Maxx with a Sirio 18 and it's really good. The "goo" is merely unburnt oil that is in the fuel and it's normal to get some out of your pipe after you run the vehicle.

Mach.21 said:
THAT GOOD IF ITS YELLOW GOO....That goo is oil.......O'Donnell is a good fuel.....And So is Blue Thuder....Instead of yellow goo.. Blue thunder puts out green-blue goo..

No chit mang...most every popular nitro fuel has it's trademark color...eh.

Tarant - Nothing personal but your "friend" probably doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to nitro. If their's ALLOT of "goo" coming out of his pipe with O'Donnel or any fuel then he's running his engine/s to rich. He's losing power and using excess fuel.

IME O'Donnel is some of the best fuel out their. If I only had to choose two fuel brans it would be O'Donnel and Byron's but Byrons is impossible to find on the East coast and it's expensive to order direct. Great nitro fuels aren't made overnight and fuels Like Byron's, O'Donnel and blue thunder are proven winning formulas.

On another note, I can't believe how many people in this hobby(young and old) still don't know how to properly tune their engines.

IF ya don't want the fuel, send it to me. :hammer:

EDIT - IME the Traxxass Top Fuel is THE BEST for the 2.5. I wont use said fuel with any other engines though.

Last edited:
Well can you help me w/ my tuning then 30%nitroboy cuz my truck is running at 250-270 when idoling and all the needles are rich. Today it was a little more humid than usual. I went out right after it got done raining.

Fisherman,

If you are runing the idles that rich and still getting high temps, I would really start looking for an air leak. Check your fuel line first. Check for leaks around the carb, needles and the base of the cooling head. The best way to do this is by getting some nitro cleaner and spraying it around and on these parts while the engine is running. If the engine dies when you spray a certain part, you have an air leak. My engine had an airleak and this was the only way to find it, and definitely know where the leaks were.

Back to the best fuel ... there really is no best fuel, just "better for you." I used to use Trinity monster 20% in my CV-RX but switched to O'donnel when out of curiosity. Seemed to be much better, smelled funny though (the exhaust). I then started racing and everyone swore up and down about Byron's. I was lucky that my LHS carried it. I use it now and love it to death!. Burns cleaner and performance is great, after retuning my engine.

Last edited:
Diver - Any everyone thought I was Bsing about the Byrons..hehe. Great stuff. I wish I could buy it Local. Easy to find in NYC but impossible here.

Fisherman - I would seriously start with Diver's reco. If your getting high temps and running rich then you've got a problem Houston.

IME Nitro fuels can be like bullet brands in a rifle but their are those fuels that stand out in general. LIke a rifle and bullets.....

You choose the nitro vechile/engine and let the NitroEngine choose the fuel. After you've worked out your kinks and problems, experiment with different brands of fuel by the quart for ultimate performance with any engine.

Back