noob questions about cleaning brushless R/Cs

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sur3fir3

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
Well I tried asking this in the Cow-RC forum on here, but got no response so I will repost here. I have searched for cleaning brushless motors and other information and thought I might be able to get some good opinoins here.

I've basically ran nitros last 8 or so years and recently switched to brushless. In the past I normally ran on concrete, skate parks, etc etc so I never had a huge issue with dirt, and when I did run off-road on my nitro rigs I just removed all electronics/pipe etc and use 25% simple green solution. now that I have moved to brushless I have some questions about it and the cleaning products available from Cow-R\C

Their moo-tor cleaner, can I use that on my B4.2 with no worries? I would like to be able to take the car off the track, spray it down with a cleanser without have to remove electronics.

Then go home and do a deep clean.

How often should I be cleaning my brushless motors, internally and externally?

When I run my buggy its usually for about 2 hours of drive time on a dirt track or dirt road, fairly packed, but quite dusty. and I run it about 3 times a week at best. Currently I have been using a plastic safe reedy spray cleaner that leasve no residue. I will spray it down at the track, then get it home and usually clean it all the next day.

When you guys clean your brushless rigs do you use a propelled type can cleaner, and finish it with simple green? or what? I just need to figure out the most cost-effective way I can do this without being detrimental to my buggy.

I usually spray down my kit with moo-tor cleaner and blast off the grime with compressed air. just avoid spraying directly onto bearings if you can help it. Moo-tor cleaner is electronic and plastic safe.

As for the motor itself just take it and wipe the outside of it off with a rag. Brushless motors are more or less sealed so you shouldnt really have to take it apart to clean it. If you do though just take the bearings out and spray down with moo-tor cleaner and blast it out with compressed air. If you do take it apart check your bearings while you have it apart.

as for deep cleaning the kit i just take all the electronics off (or electronics and nitro motor for my nitros), all the wheel bearings too, and spray it down with a garden hose and then I spray it down real good with a 50/50 mix of simple green and let it sit for about 10 minutes before hosing it off again. then immediately dry with compressed air. you'll want an air compressor set to 100psi. you'll burn up a lot of cans if you're trying to do it that way. make sure it is 100% dry and no water/simple green is left in any nook or cranny. Clean the wheel bearing by hand and check them and clean the electronics with moo-tor cleaner. spray the steel (or whatever parts of the kit that can rust) with moo-slick (or some other dry silicone lube/protectorant).

Heres a video i did of cleaning my OFNA 9.5 with moo-tor cleaner and compressed air alone. It pretty effective.

I know in the video i talk about the fact that i dont like to spray my kits down with a hose but I've gotten over that as cleaning them via complete tear down is toooooo time consuming. yes I've had a couple screws rust here and there and i have to keep a closer eye on my bearings now but its way easier and faster to do it that way.

Skip to about the 3:00 mark if you wanna skip over the part where I'm talking about the gopro 3.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTuxaDXDnT0

thanks a ton for this information GW, I'm gonna pick up some moo stuff this coming week. I just found a new track they built about 10 min away from my house. Its open to the public, I've been there everyday this week. Met some great people. Can't wait to go back on thursday and tear it up some more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised no one answered there.

BTW, he's not the Devil, i am!

I don't use any cleaners and many people recommend not using any. I simply take it apart, blow it off, use a soft tooth brush to remove stubborn particles. It only takes a moment to do and its cleaner lol. If you must use a liquid I'd suggest isopropyl alcohol on any electronics parts. This is just stuff that I was taught in my navy electrical classes but everyone has their own opinion.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Hamz is definitely the devil.....I'm just 1/4 cow :) Mooooooooooooooooo

Back