None to impressed with the Losi XXX Mini!!!!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I have to take the opposing stance. With the exception of the shocks, I have really liked my Mini-T. Perhaps I have lower expectations. But I have been having fun with it. To help with the chassis slaps, I put fuel tubing on the shock shafts to keep it from slamming the ground and that seems to make it more tolerable to jump. I haven't had a servo problem yet. Now I do agree that with 4 alkalines it's a bit doggish. But so was the Micro RS4, was't it? I strapped a 6-cell Peak micro pack in there and now that thing tears. So to get some fun speed, you're only looking at $20. And if I'm correct, the Micro RS4 seemed to meet with some of the same criticism. And immediately people began throwing all sorts of power and speed into them. The only thing that was better with the micro RS4 was that the RTR came with more "normal" radio equipment....

And that's my $.02

Originally posted by CRSMP5
then one day ill find a deal on a novak micro fm receiver to use my jr radio with it.. but its still nice..

I was going to do the same thing when the LHS owner (the one that is a badass racers that has designed his own kits) said it's a big no-no. He sells JR and Novak stuff and loves both brands. He says it is not good to mix radio stuff like that and to get the JR R200 if i needed a smaller receiver. I do run the 2 channel JR R200 on my Mini-T and it is very small and fits nicely. Only problem is it's $100.

I have to go with Candyman here.. I love my mini-t. It is currently one of my favorite RCs I own. Yes, all of you that said the electronics are a major downfall and it need oil filled shocks are exactly right. So what did I do? I bought oil filled shocks, I deleted the crappy electronics and dropped in a RS300 receiver, Novak Spy ESC and HS-55 servo. Yes.. that cost me a little money but in the end I am not complaining about my mini-t. Instead I am using my XS3 radio to run mini-t and enjoying every minute of it. I even bought another mini-t for my daughter so we can have something we both enjoy that we can do together. The LHS here has built an indoor mini-t track and we race every other Friday night. It is a blast! When I break a part it cost me 5 bucks to replace.. why? because it was cheap to begin with. If I break something on my Savage, TC3 or Storm it could cost me who knows how much.

A lot of you make good points and what you are saying is correct.. but that is why you have the chance to change things on a RC car.. that is why it is called a hobby... if they built it just the way you wanted it you would have nothing to do except drive the car and get bored with it. And for those of you getting out run by Tyco and Nikko cars.. what batteries are you using? If you say the 4 AAs then I am going to have to say of course you are getting out run.. they probably have 9.6v packs in their cars and you are trying to out run them with half the power? Get a 7.2v pack, some bearings, and tighten down the slipper clutch a little. That should take care of them. :)

Originally posted by humboldtblazer

said it's a big no-no. He sells JR and Novak stuff and loves both brands. He says it is not good to mix radio stuff like that and to get the JR R200 if i needed a smaller receiver. I do run the 2 channel JR R200 on my Mini-T and it is very small and fits nicely. Only problem is it's $100.

Um, then why does Novak build FM receivers for, they don't even make a radios? You're guy at the LHS is smoking crack or getting a better deal/making more on the JR receiver.

Marketing...........Marketing once again like the post a month ago about T Maxx's and Savage shortcomings.

Horizon did enough research and knew the price this item would sell well at, then cut corners where they had to to be able to build them for that price. It is ment to be a toy, if it catches on, which it has aftermarket will cover for them and they can also profit from aftermarket pieces. If there is enough demand a more race ready version will become available.

He doesn't smoke and this guy will tell you like it is no holds barred. I will except your opinion but when he tells me to go with a JR receiver for a JR radio I will do it. That actual day I am talking about I ended up not getting a R200 as I had to order it and instead got the bigger RS300 synth he had there for $60! so I think his mark up was minimal as his always gives fair prices. You may be right about it all what do I know? I guess one thing I know is I respect his opinion and he has never steered me wrong so until then when he gives me advise I will always consider it good.

Originally posted by humboldtblazer
I ended up not getting a R200 as I had to order it and instead got the bigger RS300 synth he had there for $60!

There is nothing wrong with a RS300 in a mini-t.. that is what I have in mine. It and the ESC (Spy) combined are still smaller than the stock unit that was in there.

Plus I know the Novak receiver works with the JR stuff.. but look at it this way.. the XXtra is like 90 bucks where the RS300 usually runs around 70. Why would someone want to pay more for one brand when the matching brand is cheaper?

I actually am putting the RS300 in the EXO2 Micro RS4 but I might get another for the old lady's Mini-T

Back