No name waterproof servo KS-3620

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Just a video showing a couple servos side by side hooked up to the same receiver/battery for a no load comparison.

The blue one is a Savox 0231MG waterproof. The red/black one is a no name brand I purchased off ebay to give a try. Was only $14 shipped, so figured it was worth a shot. It was listed as "K3 Waterproof High Torque Metal Gear RC Servo" with the following specs:
- Model: k2-3620
- Metal Casing. Protect the servo motor from overheating
- Torque(4.8V): 16.5 kg-cm (229.1 oz/in)
- Torque(6.6V): 20.0 kg-cm (277.7 oz/in)
- Speed: 0.18 sec (4.8V) ¦ 0.16 sec (6.6V)
- Operating Voltage:4.8 ~ 6.6 DC Volts
- Weight: 60 g (2.12 oz)/Servo Motor
- Bearing Type:Ball Bearing x 2
- Motor Type:DC Motor

The receiver pack is an old tired traxxas 1200mah flat pack. It just came off a 1A charge. I keep it in a drawer for testing stuff only. The receiver is a knock off spektrum DSM2 replacement that I started using last year in all my rigs due to increased range.

I have the radio set at 100% epa for t/b and steering. Suppose I should have maxed them out to get full lock. Still, you get a general idea as to how the servos compare for speed. I had the savox in the steering port and the 3620 in the t/b port.

Without the glitch buster, the 3629 caused the receiver to brown out when I would go from full throttle to full brake repeatedly. The savox didn't do this, but we all know that savox servos are power hungry, so that should tell you something about the 3620. The savox seems a bit faster than the 3620. It's more noticeable when going full lock to lock. The savox is also a lot noisier.

Off camera, I held the horn/servo in my hand so it wouldn't move and used the throttle to see/feel how strong it was. It caused the receiver to brown out even with the cap. I did the same with the Savox, which caused the receiver light to flicker, but not brown out. By feel, the 3620 has quite a bit more torque than the 0231. I know, very scientific. :) I have a feeling the brown outs were partially due to the tired receiver pack, but I don't have a spare good one laying around. Even still, it was clearly more power hungry than the savox.

Without load, the 3629 seems to be fairly accurate and doesn't wander when you go partial movement or full movement. It also finds home accurately. I know back in the day I had bought one of those cheap 996 servos off ebay, strong, but they were awful at finding the position. They would overshoot the EPA considerably and wander on both sides of home position. This one seems pretty accurate.

I'll probably give this one a try for steering in my ERBE, when I get it. I'll definitely use the cap with it and the savox though if I end up using the savox instead.

I need to find me a decent servo for throttle on my baja ,it keeps frying them ,I think if it can
handle the 6 volt pack ,it would work!
That's why I haven't been running it!..:doh:

When I had mine, I ran a hitec 985MG in it for t/b and whatever stock was in the Baja SS for steering. Pretty sure that 985MG is my t/b servo in one of my revos.

Then again, I probably didn't run an entire gallon through my baja when I owned it. I bought it new. LOL! Just thought I'd have fun with it, but I just didn't have anywhere to run the thing. Even after the scorpion shorty kit.

I would love to know how it stands up to real use/abuse. Hell of a deal for $15 tho!!!

Def seems slower in the vid. Not the end of the world, deal killer slow tho.

I would love to know how it stands up to real use/abuse. Hell of a deal for $15 tho!!!

Def seems slower in the vid. Not the end of the world, deal killer slow tho.
No, might be more pronounced when the wheels are attached. Since I have one of the 0231's in another revo, I can do a side by side when I install this thing in the e-revo when I get it... well, when I open it. If my wife has her way, we will be opening presents before Thanksgiving. lol

Lol! The anticipation!!! I hear that tho... Maybe you can convince her to let you pull the turkey in on a trailer!!! :hehe:

It's killing me knowing I'll probably be off work the entire week of thanksgiving and it will just be sitting there, in a brown box... waiting. Hell, to add the stuff to it that I want, I'm going to need a day's worth of wrenching before the tires even hit the ground. New shocks, servo, receiver, motor brace, chassis brace, probably wheels/tires for snow/winter... pretty sure she's getting the RPM arms/carriers for my b-day in March. She likes it when I get a new truck. Gives her things she can get me since we pretty much buy anything we want when we want it.

Of course, she just likes shiny things for gifts... or purses... you have no idea the emails I get selling me coach purses constantly because of what I buy her. lol I get more purse/glove/jewelry spam than RC!

Lmao! Well, I hope you get to pop it open and enjoy it for turkey day! The reduild/modifications will keep your hands busy from picking away at the dinner table and desserts.... But likely build a BIG appetite for later for one of those double croissant topped with turkey, stuffing, cranberry, sweet AND mashed potato, maybe some lettuce, cheese, mayo, and a rolling pin to flatten it out JUST thin enough to get it to fit in the mouth type sandwiches... Followed by a similar sandwich built of 5 of the 6 pies... Cuz the meringue just doesn't flatten out well... :hehe:
(can you tell I'm already excited for a KILLER thanksgiving day meal?!?!?!?)

Oh yeah... And a KILLER new rc!!! What a day!!! :celebrate::woohoo:

Either that or another rc you are into... Put her name on it. If she gets into it, all the better... If not, you tried and hmmmm... ANOTHER kit for YOU! ;)

Well, we didn't wait for Christmas, at least not for everything. My wife got her new full length mirror/jewelry armoire and I got my ERBE. Leaving the rest to open Sunday.

The K2 sucks for speed. Felt like Fletch with the Caddy, had to really plan ahead when turning. It was plenty strong enough, just way too slow. Especially since I'm using the full throw steering block and had to up the EPA to 140 for right/left. You can damn near do a 1-2-3 count when swinging full left to full right.

I'm going to pull it out in a bit and put in a spare hitech 985MG I bought recently on ebay for $40 ($70 water resistant 172oz/.13sec @6V servo that I have in 2 of my other trucks). I'll keep the Savox 0231 as a spare. It's stronger than the 985, but slower. I have 2 in my BB revo (1 for steering 1 for t/b) and it steers just fine.

It sounds like the unit itself is pretty well outfitted. I wonder if there is a way to regear it to get the speed out of it? (and of course still maintain the 'cheap' part) The fact that it was low dollar was the point.

Gotcha. I was thinking if anything, to see if there were gears from a higher speed servo from the same manufacturer. Knowing if it was a clone would be helpful for sure! Either way, thanks for the write up.

Hi...i am a new user here. in my case I noticed a difference when I upgraded and I noticed just as big of a difference when I tightened the servo saver. I tightened mind about 2 turns because I noticed the servo turning but the wheels weren't turning.

I recently ran it in my arrma outcast. It's still too slow, but got me through until the savox sw-1210sg showed up. My stock servo in my outcast didn't make it to the first turn in my parking lot and died. Since I had this still on hand, I threw it in just to get me through my first run the next day.

For me, it's too slow.

Back