Nitro monster truck

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allaway01

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, newbie. I’ve just bought my lad a nitro monster truck and broke it already. Can anybody help me with what to do next as not getting answer from the place I got it from. Can you get a metal one.

Attachments

• 1579E31D-2E55-450E-927B-F763098CE615.jpeg
    1579E31D-2E55-450E-927B-F763098CE615.jpeg
    239.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 2EA5A6B0-8481-4C65-82CE-29F07F886872.jpeg
    2EA5A6B0-8481-4C65-82CE-29F07F886872.jpeg
    189.1 KB · Views: 65
might be able to get a steel spur gear, personally would get a plastic one as a replacement and just buy a few of them to have as spares.
the spur gear is a cheap and pretty easy replacement part, and if the gear mesh is set correctly it will last quite awhile typically unless there are other reasons it has failed (bad bearings, binding in drivetrain, full throttle landings, etc).
metal spur gears wont fail when they otherwise should have and it will transfer damage to other drivetrain components, which can be quite a bit more costly and difficult to replace.
main thing is to figure out the model of the truck, and buy replacements for it that way.

might be able to get a steel spur gear, personally would get a plastic one as a replacement and just buy a few of them to have as spares.
the spur gear is a cheap and pretty easy replacement part, and if the gear mesh is set correctly it will last quite awhile typically unless there are other reasons it has failed (bad bearings, binding in drivetrain, full throttle landings, etc).
metal spur gears wont fail when they otherwise should have and it will transfer damage to other drivetrain components, which can be quite a bit more costly and difficult to replace.
main thing is to figure out the model of the truck, and buy replacements for it that way.
Thanks, do I need to count teeth etc

Hi, newbie. I’ve just bought my lad a nitro monster truck and broke it already. Can anybody help me with what to do next as not getting answer from the place I got it from. Can you get a metal one.

How are you breaking in the engine?
It looks like you are holding the truck while it is revving at a high RPM that can strip the gear!
Always run your first couple of tanks while the truck is off the ground!
Make sure that the gear mesh is set proper by using a piece of paper in between the gears
for gaging the mesh ,then tighten up the engine mount!
You need to order a new gear ,revert to your manual for part #!

How are you breaking in the engine?
It looks like you are holding the truck while it is revving at a high RPM that can strip the gear!
Always run your first couple of tanks while the truck is off the ground!
Make sure that the gear mesh is set proper by using a piece of paper in between the gears
for gaging the mesh ,then tighten up the engine mount!
You need to order a new gear ,revert to your manual for part #!
Thanks. Will have alook in the manual at the part I need

Look in the manual for optional upgrade parts.

B0384C9B-F912-429A-B1E2-483E1F614430.jpeg

It’s from nitrotek, say conqueror on the net

Thanks for that, trying to source one or a metal one from somewhere
I would not recommend a metal spur gear. You want a plastic one that way if something goes wrong in the drive line then you'll loose a $5 spur gear instead of some much more expensive. If everything is good with the kit a plastic one should hold up fine. There are a few parts on RC cars that should not be upgraded to metal parts and the spur is one of them.

Sometimes metal is all you can do to keep something working though. Looking at that gear, it's very narrow. I'd at least try shimming the flywheel out a few mm so the entire gear runs on the bell teeth.

Some of the cheaper trucks allow so much flex in the chassis, that your gear mesh changes a lot as you drive it. Land a big jump or run through bumpy terrain and things bend/flex which causes the mesh to get tight/loose. In that case, a metal spur will at least help the spur last longer. Just make sure your slipper is set to slip and not fully locked down.