Nitro fuel and breaking in a nitro

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know where that was said about just idol for break in.. you need to get the engine HOT.. so that the piston and sleeve.. can mold them selves to each other... sitting at a idol won't allow that to happen...
I know quite a few RTR manuals say to let them sit and idle. I never understood it either. Usually though, for the first tank or so, the fitment is so bad that they run like garbage anyway. Every engine I had so far just burps and farts for the first tank at least and never really gets to a high enough rpm to do anything useful.

I tune them so they will run/idle and slowly accelerate from idle to WOT while driving it so there's load on it. I do that repeatedly throughout all the "break-in" tanks. As things wear in, I lean it a bit for each tank and usually after 3-4 tanks, they start actually opening up to a higher RPM, then I'm easy on the WOT part. Once the engines are tuned/running well enough to get up to 180F, I run them for minutes, not really tanks. I run them for 5 minutes at temp, ramping up to WOT in 2-3 second iterations, then shut them down after the 5 minutes, put the piston at BDC and let it cool to <100F, then do that for 4-5 cycles. Usually by the end of that, they are running more freely and I start driving them in grass or whatever for a couple tanks at a time while keeping an eye on temps and listening to how it's running and adjusting tune. After a couple tanks I'll put the piston at BDC and let it cool again.

Some engines really settle in and run well/respond to tune well after 1/2 a gallon. Others take 1.5 gallons+. Just depends on the engine and usually the build quality.

I know quite a few RTR manuals say to let them sit and idle. I never understood it either. Usually though, for the first tank or so, the fitment is so bad that they run like garbage anyway. Every engine I had so far just burps and farts for the first tank at least and never really gets to a high enough rpm to do anything useful.

I tune them so they will run/idle and slowly accelerate from idle to WOT while driving it so there's load on it. I do that repeatedly throughout all the "break-in" tanks. As things wear in, I lean it a bit for each tank and usually after 3-4 tanks, they start actually opening up to a higher RPM, then I'm easy on the WOT part. Once the engines are tuned/running well enough to get up to 180F, I run them for minutes, not really tanks. I run them for 5 minutes at temp, ramping up to WOT in 2-3 second iterations, then shut them down after the 5 minutes, put the piston at BDC and let it cool to <100F, then do that for 4-5 cycles. Usually by the end of that, they are running more freely and I start driving them in grass or whatever for a couple tanks at a time while keeping an eye on temps and listening to how it's running and adjusting tune. After a couple tanks I'll put the piston at BDC and let it cool again.

Some engines really settle in and run well/respond to tune well after 1/2 a gallon. Others take 1.5 gallons+. Just depends on the engine and usually the build quality.
Yeah I honestly never heard of just letting it idol for break-in. Like you said usually they have no response for the first couple tanks anyway.. there really a few different ways to do it... I just never heard of letting it idol for 4 tanks... just at idol...sh*t they make boxes and machines that you can just hook up the engine too... which really only racers or pros use... but haven the engine at 200- 220 is important and putting it at BDC is a important part.. either way is good just got to keep above 200 and let cool at BDC....

It all good in my hood! Its been a looooooong time since I broke an engine in but I usually idle the first tank but thats it.

Yeah I honestly never heard of just letting it idol for break-in. Like you said usually they have no response for the first couple tanks anyway.. there really a few different ways to do it... I just never heard of letting it idol for 4 tanks... just at idol...sh*t they make boxes and machines that you can just hook up the engine too... which really only racers or pros use... but haven the engine at 200- 220 is important and putting it at BDC is a important part.. either way is good just got to keep above 200 and let cool at BDC....
Yeah that's what I was doing. It works very well this dynamite
28 seems really strong for what it is
It all good in my hood! Its been a looooooong time since I broke an engine in but I usually idle the first tank but thats it.
It only awesome sense to me. I have 2 buddies that swear by Adam drakes break in methods. I.personaly have never idled anything more then 2 tanks. I find it unnecessary

Yeah that's what I was doing. It works very well this dynamite
28 seems really strong for what it is

It only awesome sense to me. I have 2 buddies that swear by Adam drakes break in methods. I.personaly have never idled anything more then 2 tanks. I find it unnecessary
That is why it has always been a controversial matter ,however ,the more high end race engines
have a lot of pinch ,an they want to control the heat more efficiently ,some of those engines
can reach up to $ 700 bucks ,so they want that insurance that the break-in is done right!

A lower end budget engine probably not so much ,however ,I myself havent idled a tank more
than 2 tanks ,if I did 3 .its because I am doing tuning before I throw on the ground or I am
having issues!

Some of those racers will actually idle a whole quart before they throw it on the ground because
they want the heat to stay consistent through the whole process an dont want the heat to change
if they have it on the ground!

That is why it has always been a controversial matter ,however ,the more high end race engines
have a lot of pinch ,an they want to control the heat more efficiently ,some of those engines
can reach up to $ 700 bucks ,so they want that insurance that the break-in is done right!

A lower end budget engine probably not so much ,however ,I myself havent idled a tank more
than 2 tanks ,if I did 3 .its because I am doing tuning before I throw on the ground or I am
having issues!

Some of those racers will actually idle a whole quart before they throw it on the ground because
they want the heat to stay consistent through the whole process an dont want the heat to change
if they have it on the ground!
Yeah those pros and racers... are on a completely different level.. And some of their engines are even priced out higher then 700.. its insane.. They also use a nitro engine break-in machine box.. They won't even put it into there Rc before its broken in... where was the Pro Rc racer class when we were in school damit.🤣🤣

I've owned a couple Losi branded Dynamite engines and they are great little engines for the price.
Yes I agree. This little dynamite has some good power already although I have not pushed it passed 3rd tank or over 1/4 throttle yet. I do plan on running another tank of idle once I get my new fuel and plan to take it easy

Check out Raj's break-in procedure!..:cool:

WOW that's a intence break in ... very cool and a good way to multi task. Dam that's one clean broken down engine... I always thought it was good to just stop during the break-in I guess not good to know and that's some dam good diff fluid rite there WOW looks like he put that 💩 in yesterday... awesome video....👍👍👍
That bones break in just got a higher oil% then running fuel.. that a sweet looking engine after a quart of idling... very cool BAKER👍👍

Last edited:
I recall my picco being a pain to break in theure very tight sleeves and required me alot of fuel to finish the full break in

Last edited:
I wish I could get an ERCM pipe for my XXL :(
Yes I know!! I wish I never sold mine. I was talking to him not long ago about making more but it's been a few months since I've talked to him

Yes I know!! I wish I never sold mine. I was talking to him not long ago about making more but it's been a few months since I've talked to him
I called him a couple/few months back and hes backed up for an enterinty because he started working full time again.

Dammn that sounds peaky sweet!..😍
Lol check out my other vids. I've had many savages. I'm.looking at adding one to my fleet soon. So keep an eye out for it lol.
Looking at buying this one..
I called him a couple/few months back and hes backed up for an enterinty because he started working full time again.
He randomly msged me asking if I needed a pipe about 5 months ago but I didn't have a nitro to put one on lol. I wish I did at the time. I remember how crazy loud mine was and how crisp the power was. Very nice pipes

Attachments

• received_374987770848093.jpeg
    received_374987770848093.jpeg
    59.2 KB · Views: 29
  • received_164793512340483.jpeg
    received_164793512340483.jpeg
    46.3 KB · Views: 29
  • received_319764833275737.jpeg
    received_319764833275737.jpeg
    45 KB · Views: 35
  • received_941655556390798.jpeg
    received_941655556390798.jpeg
    40.5 KB · Views: 35
So I'm at tank 10 now and I have a question. At what point can I run tank after tank without letting it cool between tanks?