Nitro fuel and breaking in a nitro

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rcjunky2002

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys, So I bought a new losi 8ight t rtr ana I need to break it it in.. I ordered some bones brew 30%-10% and it's gonna be a few days before I get it so I was wondering.. I have some vp 25% that I need to use up. Is it OK to use what I have left of the vp till I get the bones?

Attachments

• 20210820_195505.jpg
    20210820_195505.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 157
Nitro after time draws moisture. This is exactly why we use after run oil. I would wait for the fresh fuel.

Ok I will dispose of it. It's not old ice only had that qt for a few weeks

If it's only a few weeks it should be ok. I've had a can in qt. in the shop for a couple of months and used it this morning.
I assumed you had it a couple of years. A new engine however I would wait for the new fuel.

If it's only a few weeks it should be ok. I've had a can in qt. in the shop for a couple of months and used it this morning.
I assumed you had it a couple of years. A new engine however I would wait for the new fuel.
That's what I was thinking fresh and not mixed ratios

Run it for break in like backer said.. and until you get new fuel.. with a empty tank start the truck till you can't start it.. which should burn off all old fuel.. and then put in new fuel. And let idol for a bit.. you don't ha e to Idol a few tanks man waste of fuel IMO..
Also ,Bones brew uses VP products ,so both fuels share the same DNA!.. :thumbs-up:
Even better same DNA.. USE IT.. then burn off old by starting it .. then pull plug make sure it's all out... then just fill tank change plug.. fire it up buddy idol for a few minutes and have at it bash away bud.👍👍👍

I would use it if it is still fresh for a first break-in an idle tanks ,but after you get the
Bones brew ,I would do a couple idle tanks with it to flush the other out an get the
engine use to the change over!..:thumbs-up:
Oh ,nice choice ,enjoy!..:cool:
This is also what I would do.

Run it for break in like backer said.. and until you get new fuel.. with a empty tank start the truck till you can't start it.. which should burn off all old fuel.. and then put in new fuel. And let idol for a bit.. you don't ha e to Idol a few tanks man waste of fuel IMO..

Even better same DNA.. USE IT.. then burn off old by starting it .. then pull plug make sure it's all out... then just fill tank change plug.. fire it up buddy idol for a few minutes and have at it bash away bud.👍👍👍
So I don't have to idle for 4 tanks for break.in? Lol that's what I hear people are doing

So I don't have to idle for 4 tanks for break.in? Lol that's what I hear people are doing
No... that's a waste of fuel.. these engines are so tiny and run at high rpms and temps that they burn fuel off quickly.. I've changed fuel companies and % all the time to find a good set up in fuels...

Break-in a nitro engine isn't just sitting at idol for a few tanks. I don't know where that was said about just idol for break in.. you need to get the engine HOT.. so that the piston and sleeve.. can mold them selves to each other... sitting at a idol won't allow that to happen...

I would use the fuel you have for the break in and getting started..it's not that old.. when they say "old" they mean months , yrs... not a couple weeks bud... its a sealed bottle.... use what you have when you get new fuel.... make sure you run it empty.. then try starting in a couple times.. so that you can burn off any fuel left in the lines and carb and engine... then pull plug and try to start.. to make sure all the old fuel is out....Put the plug back in head.. Then fill tank with new fuel prime the carb/engine... and fire it up... let the engine idol for a little while maybe 5-10-15mins..make sure there no difference in sound or idol... if going to a different % in nitro.... then drive slow for the first tank... then you should be fine....LET IT RIP!!!!! bud
Here read this article... so you can have a better understanding to the Break-in process bud

"What Is the Proper Nitro Engine Break-In Procedure?"

https://www.liveabout.com/how-to-break-in-a-nitro-engine-properly-2862926

Theres a dozen different "break in" methods out there. Some of them call for running one or more of your very first tanks at idle. For bashers I dont think it makes a huge difference what method you use but idling 4 tanks seems excessive to me.

How'd I do guys? Nothing special here just a few clips of my breakin process. I had 3 tanks to work with here and thats all I got so far out of her. 1/4 throttle bursts and my Temps are around 210-220. Is this safe? Is my tune ok for break in ?