Nitro engine untouchably hot? Normal?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel J

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Flying
Hello everybody, I got my nitro rig back up. I have just broke it in. From like 5mins it was untouchably hot. I wonder if it is overheating? I spat on it but it dosnt sizzle. So is it in gods temp ranges? I don't have a temp gun. Thanks for the help

Spit should boil in 3-5 seconds. Faster (or sizzling) is too hot, later, or no boiling, is too cold

Haha thanks woodie!! I would but I ordered tons of stuff for it and my mum would not let me buy another thing for it lol ??

Water boils at 100C/212F. You want to be above that, but not by much. 220-270F (110-135C) is where you want to be.
I'm sorry if I'm bothering you too much but my needles are literally right out on the richest setting and she runs perfectly, would this be because she has only just been broken in and she just needs a couple tanks through her or have I got a problem?

I'm sorry if I'm bothering you too much but my needles are literally right out on the richest setting and she runs perfectly, would this be because she has only just been broken in and she just needs a couple tanks through her or have I got a problem?
Break in settings are a guide. Some engines like to be richer than others. It may cool down as it wears in more due to a decrease in friction, then you can lean it out a bit.

Break in settings are a guide. Some engines like to be richer than others. It may cool down as it wears in more due to a decrease in friction, then you can lean it out a bit.
Thanks mate

Hey man if u don't have a temp gun then until or if u get one just go buy the smoke trail. If u see a nice stream of bluish smoke wen u pull on the throttle then ur good 2 go. The smoke and sound is easiest way once you learn that.

Thanks
Hey man if u don't have a temp gun then until or if u get one just go buy the smoke trail. If u see a nice stream of bluish smoke wen u pull on the throttle then ur good 2 go. The smoke and sound is easiest way once you learn that.
Thanks man

Also if u don't mind a little advice. After ur engine has fully warmed up. Give a high speed pass and let off throttle and listen to truck. The revs should drop off right away down to idle , if they don't and after u let off throttle the idle stays high for a few seconds and then drops u know ur top end is to lean so richen a 1/8 PR 1/16 turn and try again. Another good idea is check ur low speed. So after engine is good and warm bring truck in and let it sit and idle , it should stay nice and steady give I think 5-10 seconds and then take off fast if u bog out real bad u can lean the low end a little but if ur truck starts rev up and get high pitched then richen a little n just remember if u lean low end the decrease ur idle a little but if u richen the increase idle speed a little most of time

U said u were breaking in this engine so also don't push it to hard if u do and its still trying to break itself in then that will cause extra heat

U said u were breaking in this engine so also don't push it to hard if u do and its still trying to break itself in then that will cause extra heat
Thanks mate taking the time to reply, how do I know it's fully broken in? I have done 10 tanks through it

Lol that I'm not sure of with novarossi. I've had o.s. engines , hpi , lrp , axial , sirio , dynamite , Losi 454 , trx .15 2.5 3.3 and after the first couple engines I never really had much issues with them other than the norm. I have in my Losi LST xxl rich now a novarossi 28-8 and wow I'm having some issues I had to message olds for some advice its heating up more than it should cutting out. I just know that all I've read about novarossi is they take up to a gallon to break in versus 5-10 tanks

Lol that I'm not sure of with novarossi. I've had o.s. engines , hpi , lrp , axial , sirio , dynamite , Losi 454 , trx .15 2.5 3.3 and after the first couple engines I never really had much issues with them other than the norm. I have in my Losi LST xxl rich now a novarossi 28-8 and wow I'm having some issues I had to message olds for some advice its heating up more than it should cutting out. I just know that all I've read about novarossi is they take up to a gallon to break in versus 5-10 tanks
Wow hope you get that sorted, I have an SH engine. Check out Botajell on YouTube he is the nitro king lol, he will reply to you there in a few minutes. Novarossi is known to have excellent support services so contact them? They might sort it out for you. Thanks my friend and good luck resolving that issue ??

Thanks mate taking the time to reply, how do I know it's fully broken in? I have done 10 tanks through it
Honestly, experience. It differs for every engine. I've found that the more expensive the engine, the longer it takes to break-in. The first 10 tanks of an engine are the hardest of it's life. Many engines don't start responding well to tune and stabilizing temps until you get a gallon through them. Cheaper engines don't take as long and are "broken in" at 1/2 gallon as the parts aren't made out of as good of material with as tight of tolerances.

I've had 4 or 5 LRP's, all of them really settled in around the 1 gallon mark. My cheaper traxxas, SH, dynamite, low end OS engines were good at about 1/2 gallon. My OS18Tm and 21TM took around a gallon as well like my LRP28S3's and LRP30S2. Picco and Novarossi engines more than likely will be 1 gallon+ engines before they settle in as well.

Honestly, experience. It differs for every engine. I've found that the more expensive the engine, the longer it takes to break-in. The first 10 tanks of an engine are the hardest of it's life. Many engines don't start responding well to tune and stabilizing temps until you get a gallon through them. Cheaper engines don't take as long and are "broken in" at 1/2 gallon as the parts aren't made out of as good of material with as tight of tolerances.

I've had 4 or 5 LRP's, all of them really settled in around the 1 gallon mark. My cheaper traxxas, SH, dynamite, low end OS engines were good at about 1/2 gallon. My OS18Tm and 21TM took around a gallon as well.
Thanks so much mate for helping me out! I'll test it in 2 days since I'm away right now. Thanks again

Back